ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Are my alloys too big for a clio?

Clio 1.2 04
8pM4q.png

423491_2989453268574_1629366505_2556498_657773615_n.jpg

17" allessio wheels all tires are fresh as fook and i was offered clio sport antharite wheels but the tires are horrible and they are in really bad conditition. so i was thinking of just lowering my clio on coilovers 60-70mm all round and it would look quite neat with those wheels on.. just everyone keeps saying there too big!

opinions?

Clio 1.2 04
Yeah i was told 40mm springs would do the trick. But coilovers seems like the proper job. Plus i can change height accordingly to the wheels.

mk2ph1 rsi 106rallye
mines running 17"s with a 60mm drop with no problems soon will be 100mm drop on the back.

Mk2 Ph2 172
i think on a 1.2 its ok as you not really going for handling etc... you wanna be low and slow !!!

get some coilovers on it and enjoy... you may need a new spine after tho ;)

at the end of the day its your car if you like it thats all that matters !!!

16" / 15" is the way forward ;)

This is the correct answer from a technical & looks point of view.

I'd say yes, can't be much speed coming out of that either.

However I think that's a good point. Yes 17" will be worse in every way if we want to start blabbing on about sidewall strength, scrub radius and damping coefficients... but at the end of the day you're making an already extremely slow car a bit slower - so what?

You've already bought them so I doubt you'd go to the trouble of changing them just because 16s would look & handle better.

M3, Cup racer'd 182
Mate your going to lose a fighting battle with 17" on your car especially on this forum with all the boring "got to be OEM+ theme" and defiantly no bigger than 16" sheep.

Me personally it's your car your money you do with it what you want, but a set of springs to lower it would be a good start. As for is 17" best it depends on the person and how you think it drives like with them on.

Without just agreeing with everyone else, I do think they look quite big. 17's can be pulled off on Clio's sometimes IMO but unfortunately yours hasn't.

A set of 172 alloys would set you back around £100 and will look a lot better.

16" - 205 -45 = 591mm

17" - 205 -40 = 596mm

barely any difference at all, only 5mm overall half the thickness of a biro pen!

like said above unless they ar O.E or turinis you shall be slated.

Listerine & Poledo
slam it over those and it'd be well sik.

if you're going to lose half your suspension travel, it doesn't magtter what wheels you put on, it'll still be alergic to potholes and speed bumps.

anyway, bigger wheels are better wheels..... else why wouldn't all cars be on, like, 15's.

davo172

ClioSport Club Member
  TCR'd 172
Mate your going to lose a fighting battle with 17" on your car especially on this forum with all the boring "got to be OEM+ theme" and defiantly no bigger than 16" sheep.

THIS is so true !!

17s are as said 5mm bigger in overall diameter ie (f**k All) A lot of better quality alloys are lighter Than std 16s also .
Mine runs 17s and sportlines sits fine looks fine and also handles better than it did on 16s as i have run both , Most people who say 17s are crap ruin handling etc have Never driven one on them so how do they know !!
flol AT THE CLIOSPORT SHEEP !
15s Look MUCH MUCH worse imo .

Glacier White RS200

Me personally it's your car your money you do with it what you want, but a set of springs to lower it would be a good start. As for is 17" best it depends on the person and how you think it drives like with them on.

sheep?? .. he asked for opinions as thats what a `forum` is about :)

RB 182 FF
I like em on 17's, looks tidy and neat and not chaved up.. and thats just funny saying they look like turini's so it could work :p

Evo 5 RS

SO basically you're saying he should keep the 17"s and tramline everywhere, THEN worry about how it drives on lowering springs.

Listerine & Poledo
How much would ultra-low profiles be for 17's to minimise rubbing issues anyway?

Aside from looking less cartoon and giving marginally better ride, peeps on here also go for 15's because they cost a whole load less to re-tyre

Most people who say 17s are crap ruin handling etc have Never driven one on them so how do they know !!
flol AT THE CLIOSPORT SHEEP !

Mmm no, we're actually using well established engineering principles & equations used all the time in designing everything from designing the big/soft/comfortable Laguna to the S1600 spec Clios. Backed up by what proffesional racing/test drivers tell their engineers.

You can read a book about suspension so I'll just give one example. 17s often feel better in corners. This is 100% true, they do give better feedback and a more immediate steering response. This is good. However this is outweighed by the adverse affects that often result in LESS grip. Even though they feel better, they actually have less grip therefore you can't corner as fast. This is factual and not opinion based and, as said, can be backed up by pages of physics and equations.

Handling is about the perfect compromise. For racing or bigger cars that compromise can, and in many cases does, mean 17" wheels. Not in road/track-day clios though.

/education & listening to proffesionals.

Just as important as all of that however is this: you modify your car for fun, looks & a hobby, not to increase apex speed by 1.37 mph on the ring road roundabouts. Do whatever you like.

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio
Lol, yeah it was awful, the 172 felt really comfortable compared to that.

Listerine & Poledo
Lol, yeah it was awful, the 172 felt really comfortable compared to that.

When standard, a 172 isn't all that bad at all. Sure, it'sd no wafty cruiser, but you dont need an osteopath on hand at the end of a long haul.
:)