ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Are my mpg to low?

Austin-182

ClioSport Club Member
Evening guys, ive read a number of times, the pre cat lamda is the one to change if mpg are low, but what im trying to decide on, is if my mpg are low or normal due to the use of my car

So, i use my car every day to go to work, only about a 10 min drive at the most, the same to get home. The gf lives about 4 miles away from my house, and mixed within that, drives to rhe metro (shopping centre) about 25 mile away from home and obv the same back.

Im only getting around 28mpg at the moment, i used toget around 30 mpg and when my decat went on about a year ago it went upto about 32/33mpg but now im around 28

Do you think its worth changing the pre cat lamda?

I recently did the trip to trax and thought id see what mpg i got on the way as its about 3.5 hours of motorway but only returned around 33mpg although i did kind of stick at 85ish all the way down

CBR1000RR Fireblade
my MPG has dropped to about 25 just recently. i dont know if its down to trying another fuel or not. what fuel do you use?

Austin-182

ClioSport Club Member
I use v power mate, allways do and allways have
Im running decat and luckily i dont have any lights on my dash and i dont want to mess that up by swapping for a new lambda (it may not actually change that anyway though)

CBR1000RR Fireblade
thanks, i am going to look at getting a new lambda then.

tbh its worth a try, they arnt expensive to replace IIRC

I'll keep an eye on this, I do very similar journeys/miles and get around 28-30mpgs.

I do see a good return on long motorway journeys though.

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
Paying for a diagnostics plug in will save you wasting money on a lambda if it's working fine (need to look at live data, not codes!!) and if it is that then a new sensor will pay for itself in saved fuel. I've seen cars hit the 40's so it does sound like yours isn't right, unless you drive uneconomically that is

182, 6r GTi
mines dead on 30mpg and thats mostly urban driving. how do you reset the mpg to 0? tried holding in the button but dosent do anything?

ph1 172
Since I decat'd mine, the mpg went down from around 32/33 to 27/28 mpg?!

This doesn't sound right either does it?

CBR1000RR Fireblade
Paying for a diagnostics plug in will save you wasting money on a lambda if it's working fine (need to look at live data, not codes!!) and if it is that then a new sensor will pay for itself in saved fuel. I've seen cars hit the 40's so it does sound like yours isn't right, unless you drive uneconomically that is

i had my diagnostics machine on it this morning. when watching the live data i am getting readings from the pre cat lambda but i am not getting a reading from the post cat lambda. could this be whats causing the low MPG's?

i know that the first lambda is in a closed loop control system and alters the fuelling accordingly and as far as im aware the second sensor is there to see if the cat is working or not?

225 Cup & Williams
I take the trip computer reading with a pinch of salt tbh. Mine is currently reading 38-40 but it still seems quite heavy on fuel.

CBR1000RR Fireblade
After my earlier diagnostics check I have been out in the car and burnt the rest of the momentum 99 off, filled it to tue brim with v power and gone for another blast resetting the trip computer. For some bizarre reason I am now getting 32 to 35 MPG. I can't believe how much difference the v power has made compared to the Tesco fuel. I'll not make that mistake again.

I always use Shell fuel in mine and today on country roads crusing at between 50-60 it was showing 44.7mpg on the trip computer. Thats in a fully serviced, standard 182 FF. Everyone elses seems so low to me.

CBR1000RR Fireblade
v power is only 98. Can't be that surely?

v power is 99 RON, the car has always had v power and been spot on. just recently i thought i would give tesco 99 a try. the car didnt feel as good and my MPG dropped to about 25 average, which is shocking. so back in with a tank of v power and a few miles later the car is back averaging 33 MPG and running like it did before.

Ricardos

ClioSport Club Member
  LY 200 EDC
My peak average MPG ;)

6162214689_c378856bbf_z.jpg

WP_000754 by Ricard o1, on Flickr

BG 182
If you have a decat and no emissions light on your dash, then thats not always a good sign. How long has the decat been fitted for? It can take several hundred miles to turn it on. I use shell standard as they dont offer v-power for some reason? Which is a big shame, but id rather use them over Tesco or Jet!! But i tend to see around 30.5mpg average with some sensible and some quick bursts.

172 Cup
Just for reference my average MPG is usally 32/33 when driving to work (town driving).

On a trip up the parkway it's usually about 39/40mpg.

Edit.. Mine also has a decat.

Listerine & Poledo
short journeys always cane fuel.
and 10 miles IS a short journey.

I managed 41mpg going London-Preston-London the other week. V-Power, safe speeds, climate on, not driving like a tool and rushing up to the back of queues in case I miss out on something.

Mechancially 100% standard 172

Driving style dictates MPG

G

Gregor11

Oh yeah, its changed. Always thought it was 98. Usually use Tesco's due to the money off and clubcard points.

thing with tesco fuel is this, even though they have fuel stations, they are still classed as a supermarket, so they are only required to clean their tanks once every 6-weeks, were as shell, bp etc have to clean their tanks every week. so tesco fuel tends to contain for dirt, water content etc, always stay away from dirty tesco fuel!! (its cheaper due to reasons like this)