ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Are PE2's really worth the extra cash?

-J-

RS2'ed 172 Cup
After a bit of a scare last night (Budget front tyres, damp road and full lock up and skid across 3 lanes on a motorway roundabout at 20mph, No ABS FTL :quiet:)

I have just priced up a set of PE2's fully fitted come in at £379, Are they REALLY worth the extra cash? Do they hang on ok in the wet therefore keeping me out of a ditch when going round a roundabout? :S

A shiny black one.
I tried budget tyres once and they lasted 4000 miles and were poo in the wet they were half the price of what I pay for pe2's, My first set of Pe2's lasted 18000 miles, second set which ive just changed lasted 12000 miles still on original rear pe2's i got with the car! Budget tyres are a false economy in my opinion! I find PE2's great in the wet!

-J-

RS2'ed 172 Cup
Yeah the budgets were on it when I got the car brand new "Events" but i just touched the brake last night to slow down and the car just locked up and skidded in the wet, Not sure if there was diesel on the road or something.... Sounds like the PE2's will have to be ordered.

A shiny black one.
With the budgets I would understeer at15 to 20 mph on a soaked roundabout! Absolute trash, id never do it again!

-J-

RS2'ed 172 Cup
With the budgets I would understeer at15 to 20 mph on a soaked roundabout! Absolute trash, id never do it again!

Yep Same here.... Wouldnt mind if I had some ABS but i have to carry a spare pair of boxers instead!

-J-

RS2'ed 172 Cup
No Idea... i cant see why not, might be a bit of a mission for the fitter to get them on the rim though?

i used to run them with pzero neros and they held very well, didnt flex under cornering. Bit harsh on rough ground though. What make are the ones ur looking at, not sure what pe2`s are??

thanks for your help.

-J-

RS2'ed 172 Cup
Everyone seems to rate them very highly, Mate used to run them on his Evo and Type R... Ill sling them on, they cant be worse than what I already have LOL

Ill probably have killed them by the end of August anyway out on Track.

tiTTy & SV650
absolutely, yes

last very well, wet and dry grip is superb - wouldnt even consider anything else when I had the 182. I got something like 14k from a set of fronts then put new tyres on the back and rotate them, 30k on the back or so.

Have them on my 1.9 gti too and used to run pilot exalto's on my 1.6gti years ago before the PE2 came along.

M2 Competition
Yes pe2's are worth the money in my experience. I paid £360 for 4 fitted, 195/45/16.

What were you doing to lock up and skid across 3 lanes though?

M2 Competition
Much better. In the wet the toyos were terrible, in the dry they were ok but very noisy, and didnt last long.

-J-

RS2'ed 172 Cup
What were you doing to lock up and skid across 3 lanes though?

Its a down hill section of a 40mph 3 lane dual carrage way with a set of lights, i came down doing about 35, slowed car on the gears down to about 20 and braked for the lights and just kept going :dead:

Monaco Blue 172 (56/468)
car came with nankangs on and they were shocking in the wet, pe2's worth every penny imo........

-J-

RS2'ed 172 Cup
fook me that dont sound fun lol. But u sure u were doing 35?????

100% As I drive the road every day and know it really well, Bit of a black spot dropping down to the M25, Seen so many cars rolled there or smashed into the 3ft tall motorway curbs.

I Think there must have been something on the road (Diesel or Oil) as never happened before there.

I would'nt scimp on tyres. Especially on a Cup, you need all the help you can get ;) Complete false economy when you stuff it.

I've ran PE2s' for the last 14k or so, having replaced the Contis' which were on the car when I got it. The PE2s' are much better in the wet IMO. When the Contis' were worn down to near the wear markers wet grip was had noticably dropped off and was poor, so I replaced them early (in the sense that they were still perfectly legal). My fronts are currently on the wear markers and due replacement, but grip has'nt dropped off in the same fashion.

IIRC PE2s' came top in "Wet braking" ability in the EVO tyre test a few months ago - which as we all know is not the Cup's forte! I'll happily trade some ultimate grip in the dry for a little extra in the wet.

Clio 99' 1.2
PS2s' came top in the dry braking, for wet the F1's were the best on lap and braking. The 195/45/16 would be a better choice in the wet as the side walls would deform more.

-J-

RS2'ed 172 Cup
I would'nt scimp on tyres. Especially on a Cup, you need all the help you can get ;) Complete false economy when you stuff it.

I've ran PE2s' for the last 14k or so, having replaced the Contis' which were on the car when I got it. The PE2s' are much better in the wet IMO. When the Contis' were worn down to near the wear markers wet grip was had noticably dropped off and was poor, so I replaced them early (in the sense that they were still perfectly legal). My fronts are currently on the wear markers and due replacement, but grip has'nt dropped off in the same fashion.

IIRC PE2s' came top in "Wet braking" ability in the EVO tyre test a few months ago - which as we all know is not the Cup's forte! I'll happily trade some ultimate grip in the dry for a little extra in the wet.

Cheers John I think thats pretty much me sold on them, i was hoping someone with a Cup would comment ;)

How do you find the cornering in the wet with them on? I just understeer at anything over a Nats c**k on the Loud pedal.

Megane
I run f1's on the front with PE2's on the rear, and to be honest its a brilliant combination.

I'm actually looking to replace the rears with another pair of PE2's, but I don't have the money at the moment...

mk3 golf gti
i have pirelli p zero all round and they are fantastic, brilliant in the wet and great in the dry, had pe2's on my old honda, and the pirelli's are every bit as good, and a bit cheaper!

How do you find the cornering in the wet with them on? I just understeer at anything over a Nats c**k on the Loud pedal.

Generally OK. I've only had one 'moment' where I turned in (off the power) and understeered. This was on a very cold day with damp/greasy road, and fortunately at low speed. Obviously power-on understeer is still present (easily if you drive like a tool!) but when it does happen it is progressive and I know what the car is going to do. I'm certainly not afraid to drive the car hard in the wet.

This is not to say a certain degree of caution is still required on a wet road.

I run 195/45/16 as per OE for the 172 Cup. Some people use 205 now as that was OE on the 182 I believe. Seems to be a shortage of PEs' in 195/45/16 round my way though, been trying to get some new tyres for two weeks now!!

-J-

RS2'ed 172 Cup

Generally OK. I've only had one 'moment' where I turned in (off the power) and understeered. This was on a very cold day with damp/greasy road, and fortunately at low speed. Obviously power-on understeer is still present (easily if you drive like a tool!) but when it does happen it is progressive and I know what the car is going to do. I'm certainly not afraid to drive the car hard in the wet.

This is not to say a certain degree of caution is still required on a wet road.

I run 195/45/16 as per OE for the 172 Cup. Some people use 205 now as that was OE on the 182 I believe. Seems to be a shortage of PEs' in 195/45/16 round my way though, been trying to get some new tyres for two weeks now!!

Think im going to get some from Blackcircles as they seem a fairly good price from there. Ive still got 5mm of tread on my rear Contis so might just get some fronts for now to repalce the appaling budget Tyres.