ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Are there any cars out there currently that REALLY rival the 182?

Nissan 350Z
I mean cars you can buy today. I know the 182 is coming to the end of its life as well, but what else is out there that is a serious rival to the 182? I really for the life of me, cant think of many....

Lets forget about Astras (VXR), Focuses (ST), and Golfs (GTI), because they are rivals to the Megane not the Clio. Also, apart from having more torque, none of those are, in absolute terms, all that much quicker than the Clio, especially considering the price difference.

So we are left with cars in the Clio's class. Lets see....

Fiesta ST - Handles well, but heavier and slower than the Clio.

Citroen C2 VTS - Nowhere near as powerful, very poor in comparison

Lupo GTI - Same - just not powerful enough - but at least its lighter than the C2. Nice build quality though.

Fabia vRS - I had one of these, nice car, but doesnt handle as well, not as fast, and not as fun to drive. Arguably better looking though. Oh and its a diesel...

Ibiza FR - Very tunable, but very ugly. As standard they are less powerful and heavier than the Clio, handling nowhere near as good.

Ibiza Cupra - Better looking than the FR, better brakes and handling, but still not class leading and more expensive to buy. Unlike the majority of its rivals, at least the performance is good as standard.

Colt CZT - Dont know an awful lot about this car, TBH, but I cant see it being a serious rival.

Peugeot 206 GTI 180 - Only one that really seems to come close, but all the mag reviews put it second best to the Clio in performance and handling.

Polo GTI - Very expensive, otherwise the same as the Ibiza FR.

It seems to me that if you step into the Clio's class, there is only one winner, unless you value build quality and reliability into the equation, but when I chose the Clio, I chose it for being fun to drive and having good performance. I could have had something else and chipped it, but should a car not be good enough out of the box?

106 GTi
This is why the Clio is always seen as punching above its weight in the next class up and compared to them. They days of the hot hatch are over.

When I brought my 182, the only other car I considered in the class was the Pug 206 180, and was very disapointed.

Nissan 350Z
I'd forgotten about the Mini..... but for 182 money, your looking at the 115 bhp Cooper, which is WELL underpowered, especially considering how lardy it is.

In fact, in some roadtests I've seen (Autocar perhaps), the 182 was actually just as quick from 0-100 as the Cooper S Works!

BMW M6 & 172 Phase 1
I notcied you didnt mention the breadvan in your comparisons. For me it was the only other car i considered before buying a 182. Having driven both I found the clio to be more fun to drive so opted for it.

106 GTi
recaro182 said:
I notcied you didnt mention the breadvan in your comparisons. For me it was the only other car i considered before buying a 182. Having driven both I found the clio to be more fun to drive so opted for it.

It is really in the class above size wise with the Astras, Focus, Megane and Golf.

BMW M6 & 172 Phase 1
r-jay said:
It is really in the class above size wise with the Astras, Focus, Megane and Golf.

I wouldnt say a CTR is much bigger than a fiesta ST and is def smaller than a Mini. Plus pricewise it falls in the same category as a 182, ok maybe a little more expensive but it definately can be compared IMO.

Nissan 350Z
recaro182 said:
I wouldnt say a CTR is much bigger than a fiesta ST and is def smaller than a Mini. Plus pricewise it falls in the same category as a 182, ok maybe a little more expensive but it definately can be compared IMO.

Not true....

The mini measures 3655x1688x1416, weight 1140 kg

The civic measures 4140x1695x1420, weight 1270 kg

I dont know about you, but to me, that puts it firmly in the Astra/Focus class.

Also wasnt it £16k on its minimum spec. I.e. Air con another grand, etc etc. Even the most expensive RS Clio (bar V6) was only £15,500.

BMW M6 & 172 Phase 1
pbirkett said:
Not true....

The mini measures 3655x1688x1416, weight 1140 kg

The civic measures 4140x1695x1420, weight 1270 kg

I dont know about you, but to me, that puts it firmly in the Astra/Focus class.

Also wasnt it £16k on its minimum spec. I.e. Air con another grand, etc etc. Even the most expensive RS Clio (bar V6) was only £15,500.

I stand corrected :eek:. Minis just look bloated to me. Im gonna stand by my first statement and say that CTR's can still be directly compared being 16K entry level price and a direct rival to the 182.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
an integra Type R yes i suppose is a coupe but ive heard it being called the worlds best front wheel drive car quite a few times! you can get one for £13,000 probably a bit lower.

the civic yes has its faults but so does the 182 so its worth having a look at

Nissan 350Z
I looked at getting a CTR to be honest, but for the price of a one year 182 with 2 years warranty and more toys, would have been lucky to get me a two year CTR, probably more like three year. I know Hondas are more reliable, but theres still no guarantee they wont break, and without a warranty, you are screwed.

Also, I go on talkaudio quite a bit, and one guy had his CTR car-jacked, and from what I've heard, this is actually quite a common occurrence. Also, the insurance for me personally was signficantly more for a CTR than a 182 (£900 v £650).

Ad

MK2 FRS
Yeah CTR seems to attract crime (though 182 are far from free i can vouch lol)

I found insurance over priced it as well. +25% for me!!

Clio 197
CTR is a very nice, capable machine...

But costs £:

1) More to buy
2) More to insure
3) More to fill-up

For the £££ over 3 yrs, a 182 is diffuclt to match.

Nissan 350Z
Well it arguably is.... looks a bit more aggressive from the front. The Clio is obviously cuter and the Fabia looks a bit more mean.

Each to their own though.

Clio 197
EeeeeW!

If it weren't for the looks, I would have gone for one myself...

Lol, we're all have different tastes at the end of the day.

Anyways, who said we're CTR bashing? :S

We've agreed that it's capable... but pricier, that's all. ;)

adtmits said:
^^ Are you talkin 182 or CTR ??
182. The 172 is much the same realy though.
The CLio chassic so very throwable if thats the ringht word and fun the Seat has a dull feel to it IMO. Evn if its the quikcer car its the enjoyment you get which is more important IMO.

A Beautiful R32
I'm a bit gob smacked that none of you have commented upon the 182's performance round a track... the only hot hatches that beat it round topgears track was an R32 (loads more money and power) and the RS Focus (which may as well be a race car!)... granted the CTR beat it round on 5th Gears track but only by a small margin, plus I don't like 5th gears track or drivers!!

Also, the official 0-60 times for the 182 are 6.9 to 7.1 but evo magazine quotes it as 6.6 from independent testing and put the Honda Civic at 6.8...

Interestingly, the CZT was originally quoted at 8 sec 0-60 by Mitsubishi but independent testing (by Prodrive I believe) put it at 7.2 which is what Mitsubishi now quote.

For the price and spec list, there are no cars out there that come close to the 182, the CZt is probably closest because it's very similar price wise.

In the end though, it's all down to what you prefer, all the cars mentioned are fantastic cars, including the CTR - which is a great car, sticks to the ground like sh*t to wool as my mate Ken says!!

Scirocco GT 210
Davey182 said:
including the CTR - which is a great car, sticks to the ground like sh*t to wool as my mate Ken says!!

Still think the CTR is in the size class above the clio (with the astra, megane, focus etc).

Honda should make a Jazz type R shouldn't they :p

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
What about a Seat Ibiza Cupra TDI ?

Good figures for an oil burner 0 - 60 7.6 secs , top speed 136mph .

People talk of 0 - 60's with 0.2 of a second , it depends whos driving it , even with a couple of seconds , one bad gear change and you've blown it .

MrBillyUK !

r-jay said:
They days of the hot hatch are over.

Nooooo! But it's true, where's the next array of small hot hatches going to come from? All the models that manufacturers have been basing their 'proper' small hot hatches on (Pug 205/206, Clio II, Saxo, Leon) are being/have been replaced with bigger/heavier models and/or MPV-style models. Where's the next sub £14k, lightweight, chuckable hot hatch going to come from?

IMO there's only a real battle between hot hatches if you go one model size (and price :( ) up: Astra v Focus v Golf v Megane v Imprezza...

106 GTi
Ally said:
Where's the next sub £14k, lightweight, chuckable hot hatch going to come from?

I am not sure if it will, like you say hot hatches have all bloated up and become overweight, or you have the under powered warm hatches or super mini's now.

MINI JCW
Steve2004 said:
Still think the CTR is in the size class above the clio (with the astra, megane, focus etc).

Honda should make a Jazz type R shouldn't they :p

you took the words right out of my mouth