ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Argh! Linux, Samba and Windows!

Typhoon

Gangsta
ClioSport Moderator
Have a desktop running Ubuntu, trying to create a shared folder on there that everyone on works internet can access/modify.

I created the folder on Ubuntu, right click > 'Local Network Share'

It asked me to install a few bits which it did automatically etc.

I went on to a Windows computer, managed to connect and edit the folder etc, did this on a few colleagues computers.

Went to anothers and it wouldn't find the desktop/server.

Now none of the computers on Windows are finding the shared folder/Ubuntu desktop in network to be able to correct.

Any solution(s)/Idea(s)?

Typhoon

Gangsta
ClioSport Moderator
Where have I put the network path is "/"? It's all done for you within Windows Network. It'll find the public computer on the network which in this case is the Ubuntu desktop.

Typhoon

Gangsta
ClioSport Moderator
I'm really confused..

I don't need to define a network location anywhere.

I've set up the shared folder on Ubuntu, gone on to a Windows desktop, control panel > network > this is where all computers on network with shared folders/storage are detected.

It's detecting the majority of things but not the Linux desktop.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
As per other thread, I think you're over complicating the problem.

You started off with needing to share a few spreadsheets between computers, now you've setup a Ubuntu server with seemingly no networking experience?

Typhoon

Gangsta
ClioSport Moderator
As per other thread, I think you're over complicating the problem.

You started off with needing to share a few spreadsheets between computers, now you've setup a Ubuntu server with seemingly no networking experience?
In hindsight, the Ubuntu desktop would merely be another 'user', surely? A 'user' who I want to host the sharing folder.

Would be the same as putting the host as Dean who sits next to me?

Networking isn't something I ever got in to, preferred coding/programming although I have half a clue how it all works which is why it's baffling me.

Samba is directed to the correct homegroup name, of which all the desktops are sharing names with. (WORKGROUP)

Jack!

ClioSport Club Member
Number of connections possibly? I'm no expert with Ubuntu...

If I remember rightly, from the other thread, it's a pretty old PC you're trying to use to carry out this share? Why not get SharePoint, or use Dropbox or other cloud solutions? or for the sake of £200 buy a Synology NAS? I get that it's good to use what you've got, but if you believe this share would help business, I can't believe there's no willingness to spend a little bit of money on a really basic networking set up?

BMW M4; S1000 RR
In hindsight, the Ubuntu desktop would merely be another 'user', surely? A 'user' who I want to host the sharing folder.

Would be the same as putting the host as Dean who sits next to me?

Networking isn't something I ever got in to, preferred coding/programming although I have half a clue how it all works which is why it's baffling me.

Samba is directed to the correct homegroup name, of which all the desktops are sharing names with. (WORKGROUP)

Quite, I am by no means experienced. But I would suggest for what you're after, sharing a folder on one of your already setup machines is the simpler solution. That or if you have budget, then a simple file server as suggested (Synology or similar) - that way you have on-site backups covered too.

If it is indeed just spreadsheets then it's unlikely to impact your network performance.

It may just be that its not showing up for whatever reason. As said higher up in the thread, try manually navigating to the linux box via run or similar: \\linuxcomputername\sharename

Typhoon

Gangsta
ClioSport Moderator
I used the pre natted address of the Ubuntu desktop and then the folder share name in Windows > Run.

ie; \\***.***.1.133\share

Windows asked me to connect with a login. I used the Ubuntu desktop login but it failed as access is denied.

I used the pre natted address of the Ubuntu desktop and then the folder share name in Windows > Run.

ie; \\***.***.1.133\share

Windows asked me to connect with a login. I used the Ubuntu desktop login but it failed as access is denied.

What about via Homegroups? Makes sharing easier, no user/passwords, just enter the homegroup password once and job done.

MG ZR x2, Polo, CTR
Where have I put the network path is "/"? It's all done for you within Windows Network. It'll find the public computer on the network which in this case is the Ubuntu desktop.

That's me miss-reading the first post and causing chaos!
If you know the file path to the Ubuntu shared folder can't you just map a network drive directly to it in windows?

Sometimes on my home network (Win xp pc, win 8 laptop, win 8 tablet, win xp laptop, nokia windows phone) my pc is permanently switched on, and getting the win8 tablet and laptop to 'see' it, or anything else non win8, is a right pain, but if I type the file path directly into an exlplorer window, it opens it with no issues and displays it, it just won't show in under network until it's accessed the folders.

I've saved all the links as mapped drives, and it goes directly to where it's meant to

Typhoon

Gangsta
ClioSport Moderator
Hmm, detected something.

My mate who works for Cisco/alongside Cisco etc had a detailed look.

He's told me there is nothing up with the network or the sharing of the folder ont he Ubuntu boot but it is in fact an authentication issue.

We enabled "Guess access" on the shared Ubuntu folder and it's working fine. We don't want guest access though so what can we do to fix the auth issue?

When guest access is off, we locate the folder in "Network" on Windows, click it and it asks for a user/pass. We use the PC log in to the Ubuntu Desktop and don't get a response/failed entry.

Cheers.

Hmm, detected something.

My mate who works for Cisco/alongside Cisco etc had a detailed look.

He's told me there is nothing up with the network or the sharing of the folder ont he Ubuntu boot but it is in fact an authentication issue.

We enabled "Guess access" on the shared Ubuntu folder and it's working fine. We don't want guest access though so what can we do to fix the auth issue?

When guest access is off, we locate the folder in "Network" on Windows, click it and it asks for a user/pass. We use the PC log in to the Ubuntu Desktop and don't get a response/failed entry.

Cheers.

As per above, are you logging in via your local computer (domain-type), or on the ubuntu?

Username should be something like UBUNTUMACHINE\Username

Typhoon

Gangsta
ClioSport Moderator
I can either go through Windows > Network > click on the Ubuntu PC name (sdnserver)

Or sdnserver\sdnserver so I'm logging in on that name on the domain of sdnserver.

Typhoon

Gangsta
ClioSport Moderator
It could be it can only let you log in remotely from one place at a time, check the user account settings.
It had originally let me do about 8, until I got to the 9th then the shared computer went AWOL. It's a strange situation mate!

Scrap off the Ubuntu, run windows. Job done. Ubuntu isn't needed for what you run, though tbh all you really need is a NAS on the network.

I wouldn't normally suggest that, but if you don't have the linux knowledge to debug it, this is far far easier.

Typhoon

Gangsta
ClioSport Moderator
Scrap off the Ubuntu, run windows. Job done. Ubuntu isn't needed for what you run, though tbh all you really need is a NAS on the network.

I wouldn't normally suggest that, but if you don't have the linux knowledge to debug it, this is far far easier.
My Linux knowledge isn't too bad but this has definitely baffled me!