ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Arsehats - had an accident last night - question around insurance

Clio 172, Jaguar XJR
So, Had an accident - first ever on road. bugger.

My cars totalled and his car is totalled - his car is worth about 1500 quid.

I'm 3rd party fire and theft, ive got 10 years no claims but i don't think its protected. im 27 and have a clean licence .

What gonna work out best - leave it to the insurance company they sort and I take the rimming in increased premiums.

OR what ive been thinking is I buy his car ( hasn't been reported yet ) and get him to sign some kind of document to say hes fine and takes this as full and final payment and he has no personal injury.

Is there such a document ? is it worth me doing it or do you think that my premiums wont be too loaded? Im not sure what to do. what document could stop him taking the money then claiming anyway ? he seems quite sound but he could be a right b*****d if he wants to be.

Cheers all

Clio 172, Jaguar XJR
Never been fully comp, never bothered the cars worth nothing. Accident was my fault, he was speeding but nobody can take that into account because its his word against mine

MR2 Mk1.5
A claim isn't the end of the world, even if you do not have protected NCB at 9 years (maximum) you'll be put back to 3 years. I cannot see it as being cost effective buying the £1500 car you have just crashed into.

172 Rally Car
A claim isn't the end of the world, even if you do not have protected NCB at 9 years (maximum) you'll be put back to 3 years. I cannot see it as being cost effective buying the £1500 car you have just crashed into.

So he wont loose all 9 years discount he will just loose 6 years?

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
It's never going to be cost effective to buy the car. Also TPFT is mental imo.

As is not protecting 10 years no claims!

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
I'd go through insurance.

Seems mad to be 3rd party. Every time I've checked the cost difference between 3rd party and full comp its been next to nothing. Sometimes as little as a tenner different.

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy

Seems mad to be 3rd party. Every time I've checked the cost difference between 3rd party and full comp its been next to nothing. Sometimes as little as a tenner different.

Was just about to say this. TPFT is so 1990

Whenever I've done quotes its been pounds of difference rather than hundreds difference, sometimes more expensive. Don't know why people do it

ST1050, 320d
At 27 years old, 1 claim isn't going to completely cripple your insurance. Go through your insurance, it sure as hell won't cost you £1500 at renewal.

DB.

BMW 440i
Even if a car is worth nothing, the cost saving between TPFT and Fully comp is very small in most cases. Idiotic decision!

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
This is another highlight of people not reading policies. Why would you think you'd lose 9 years?

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy
Me too lol its a 'no claims' bonus. Make a claim, lose it lol that's what I always thought

Westfield, 182, 200
Apologies if i'm wrong, but for protected ncb you have to be fully comp?
Perhaps the policy was tpf&t because of the perceived cost saving?

As previously posted, i found naff all difference between tpf&t and comp-same on my bike policy too! Thought it was 'cos i'm an older git!

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Oddly, I've had two claims, each time my premium has gone down after! Granted different cars but still.

172 cup

Ive only been insured for a few years an because of costs I have been 3rd party, but this year it was actually cheaper to be fully comp, mad how it works