ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

AST topmounts and H&R Coilies

RenaultSport clio 182 mk2
I've had the top mounts fitted for about 2 weeks and both struts are knocking a little bit. More so the passenger side. Just wanna make sure that other ppls mounts look the same as mine because i can't see any other way they could go on the shocks.

topmount.jpg

this is how much the shock comes up. does any ones elses come up more???

Cheers, Jaff

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
Looks to me like the top cup on the strut (on the underside of the car) isnt seated properly.

I had a similar problem albeit with the standard top mount when i fitted mine, then noticed what I had done.

The black cup in that holds the upper spring in place, the hole down the centre needs to fit over the the shock pole with the thread over it. It needs centring and pushing down another 20mm or so before putting the nut on to hole it together.

Although saying that I'm assuming you havent dismantled the shocks when fitting the top mounts?

RenaultSport clio 182 mk2
yeah i took everything off the shock then rebuilt it using the bits i got with the topmount. I even used the spring seat that you get with the ast mount. I know the mounts had to be machined out for the H&R coilovers, am just wondering if its been done enough.

Pics of other ppls would be great! Just so i can rule out that its not the top mounts knocking.

Cheers, Jaff

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
Might be best checking that then, as its easy to miss it and I did!

Get someone to sit in the car and turn the wheel while you check under the bonnet, might be something obvious.

172 Race Car
Had this when building up my h&r's (albeit with stock mounts)

I found it best to do it with the spring platforms would right off so the spring doesnt hae any tension on the top spring cup. The black part that the spring sits against at the top catches on the shock collar and means you cant get the top nut would on properly.

Ive had this with other brands of coilovers ive fitted too.

Hope that all makes sense

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
^ thats what I meant, but you explained it better!