ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Aston Martin DB7 Vantage Volante detail

Tuesday; "sure richard, it will be done by about Thursday evening . . . . "

Saturday morning; "done"

Received the car late on tuesday evening. It belonged to both my dad and my best mate's father about 3 years ago, but dad sold his half as he never drove it. Richard has limited insurance on it, again because it is barely driven ie 12k on a Y plate! . . . and due to this it is washed regularly with a sponge, grit and warm water after every trip. This has left it in this state;

IMG_4916.gif

IMG_4918.gif

IMG_4919.gif

not bad in the photos, so it was wheeled round to be snow foamed. 1 inch snow foam, warm water to the brim;

IMG_4928.gif

IMG_4920.gif

IMG_4922.gif

IMG_4924.gif

IMG_4926.gif

the car was then washed using a washmitt and megs gold, two bucket method, dried with plush microfibre drying towels.

car is stored in an open ended garage and rarely driven. so was not too suprise when this was the result from claying;

front;

IMG_4930.gif

back;

IMG_4932.gif

the car was then washed again with the same method and dried again. i then left the car for quite some time to ensure it was fully dried, got on with some interior bits and bobs.

some photos of the god awful state of the paintwork;

IMG_4946.gif

IMG_4936.gif

IMG_4942.gif

IMG_4953.gif

IMG_5019.gif

IMG_4949.gif

IMG_4954.gif

taped up, ready to go;

IMG_4968.gif

IMG_4969.gif

IMG_4972.gif

IMG_4983.gif

IMG_4979.gif

started on the bonnet and boot with menzerna intensive on a cutting pad, 6 passes on 4, 12 on 6. this showed massive results but i wasnt happy enough;

IMG_5022.gif

IMG_5028.gif

IMG_4989.gif

IMG_4983.gif

IMG_5035.gif

IMG_5042.gif

IMG_5044.gif

50:50 door to rear 3/4;

IMG_5048.gif

i ended up covering the whole car 1.5/2 times with the cutting compound as it was so badly scratched in places. the only reason for doing this was having spoken to the local aston dealership (and safe in the knowledge it has never been treated before, or any parts resprayed) they informed me of how much paint goes on the aston!!

next came the SRP on a finishing pad, once i was happy with the depth of shine and lack of scarring on the paint;

IMG_5084.gif

IMG_5086.gif

IMG_5049.gif

IMG_5081.gif

IMG_5105.gif

IMG_5109.gif

followed by it's twin, EGP;

IMG_5131.gif

IMG_5132.gif

IMG_5133.gif

IMG_5135.gif

IMG_5134.gif

each left to cure for around 2 hours, 6 coats later!

IMG_5143.gif

IMG_5144.gif

IMG_5154.gif

IMG_5158.gif

wheels were treated to the same compbo, tyres dressed with megs endurance;

IMG_5164.gif

then the car was treated to Natty's Blue, mainly because i love the smell!

IMG_5159.gif

IMG_5168.gif

IMG_5155.gif

next job was to tackle the exhaust, clayed, then wire wool and autosol, then SRP, inside and out!! this one is for you paul ;) and that took me about 45 mins a side to get it even looking like that :dapprove:

IMG_5147.gif

all plastics and rubber treated with AG products, glass with glass polish then fast glass. the hood was treated with hood cleaner, then protector. interior was shampooed (sp) and the leather cleaned and protected. all hoovered, plastics cleaned, wood finish polished, metal logos polished, interior of hood cleaned. headlights and rears SRPd.

in the "sunlight"

IMG_5169.gif

IMG_5175.gif

IMG_5176.gif

IMG_5177.gif

IMG_5178.gif

IMG_5186.gif

IMG_5199.gif

IMG_5198.gif

IMG_5203.gif

IMG_5208.gif

IMG_5209.gif

IMG_5214.gif

IMG_5217.gif

FIN

IMG_5098.gif

Thanks for looking :)

Jamie

oh and funny story, could jack the car up as it requires a special jack, i rang the dealership to ask to "borrow" one, and my god the response i got was so amusing!! to include "cant you just wash it how it is?" and "has someone really left the keys with you or is this a wind up?" <---- they believe me when i started it ;)

do not like the colour one bit, just screams yawn to me (check me being all negative n tingz)

results are brilliant tho, cant wait for my turn x

Very good work! The paint was in a bit of a rough state though, I thought you would take care when washing an Aston, obviously not judging by all those swirls!

lol at you two, dammit forgot to take a photo of the wellington boots for jords!

craig, did charge him anything as they're a second set of parents to me . . . went down earlier to find a cheque for 150 from him, such a leg end!

lol at you two, dammit forgot to take a photo of the wellington boots for jords!

craig, did charge him anything as they're a second set of parents to me . . . went down earlier to find a cheque for 150 from him, such a leg end!
Nice one about the cheque, that was ace of him :approve:

do not like the colour one bit, just screams yawn to me (check me being all negative n tingz)

results are brilliant tho, cant wait for my turn x

in the flesh it is stunning, real saphire colour, lots of metallic pop up close :)

turn up, drive off lad, much like wax on wax off ;)

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
[youtube]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/fFA6LlaWbJc&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/fFA6LlaWbJc&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]

172//Crap Micra//Bus
Incredible job... can't believe what a state in was in before, think mine needs a respray though tbh LOL

C

clvs2222

looks gorjus.

Why didnt you hit if with a final finish polish instead of the SRP? to give it more of a natural finish instead of a fillered one?

im loving the nateys blue wax though.

cheers for the comments lads and lasses, paint wise was quite good, harder than clio paint bu that isnt saying a lot, not looking forward to the two r8s i have booked in pre summer, nor the rs6 :(

LY 182
yeh eh?? jack them on the bolts for the X shaped brace goes across the subframe on the front,,, and the rear radius arm bolts on the rear...

same as a jag xjs underneath!

special jack?? eh?

there is a tubular piece of metal that connects to a jack plate which connects to the jack . . . which wasnt present in the car, hence i could jack it

re the bolts for the x cage below the suspension i was told specifically by the garage not to jack it here as it causes a lot of damage . . . may well be bull s**t but i am not wrecking an aston!

jamie

Exotica/MK1 Astra
there is a tubular piece of metal that connects to a jack plate which connects to the jack . . . which wasnt present in the car, hence i could jack it

re the bolts for the x cage below the suspension i was told specifically by the garage not to jack it here as it causes a lot of damage . . . may well be bull s**t but i am not wrecking an aston!

jamie

Which dealer did you call?

cheers lad :) dont tell me you have changed your name to something close to jamie as well?? i swear i will never find a new username :(