ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Attemping boosted ph1

Ph1 T
So basically ill be plumbing the top of the turbo 40mm outlet into the intercooler then other end of the intercooler into TB. Then the inlet 63mm will be connecting upto my air filter,,

Going to need a few reducers then as my intercooler holes are 63mm which will need to go down to 40 and the other is 51 which needs to go 70.. That sound about right :/ lol

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Yes that sounds right now mate.

Closest I have to a relevant picture (from my nova):

DSC_1826.jpg

So its from the Air filter to the intake to the turbo in the centre, then outlet from the "snail" (which by the way you can rotate to any angle you want to make it easier to plumb in) then goes to the intercooler, then from the intercooler into the throttle.

Make sure the turbo oil inlet to the core is at the TOP, and the return at the BOTTOM, it relies on gravity to keep the seals from seeing oil backing up around them.

Both housings cant be rotated, so if the oil ways are wrong then rotate the exhaust housing till they are right, then once those are sorted turn the inlet to where you want it.

Ph1 T
Right spot on I get it all now thanks alot chip.. the way it was on before was like that oil feed to top and return at the bottom

That's looks some epic machine you've got there btw lol

I've got a few pics of bits I'm unsure of mate If I could fire them over to you see what's what that'd be great

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Yeah sure, just whack them up here and I will explain it all to you, then others who might need to know in future can see too which they wont if you pm or sms etc.

Ph1 T
Will I be alright chucking the 40mm to 63mm piece on the outlet straight away then all the plumbing done in 63 down to the intercooler

Cup In bits
Yeah that shouldn't be an issue, its preferred if you don't reduce it back down after that but it isn't possible with some of these conversions. I,e your intercooler inlet should be same size or smaller than the outlet which isn't the case with yours from you've said.

The bigger the piping and intercooler the longer in theory it takes to build boost in those lines giving you turbo lag. Shouldn't matter too much on your low pressure setup but its best to match your turbo's capability's/output to your pipe work and plumbing.

Ph1 T
Yeah the inlet on the intercooler is 63mm and outlet on the turbo is 40mm. Just been on the phone to order the bits apparently I can't get a 63-40 reducer what are my options? Do it in another stage?

So are you saying it would be better running the pipe work from the outlet to the intercooler in 40mm then go bigger when come to the intercooler?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Step up from the turbo outlet to 50mm, run 50mm pipework, then step up again to the intercooler, TBH your intercooler inlet are FAR too big though, 63mm is good for around 700bhp or so, lol

Not worth getting changed though.

Ph1 T
Lol best get building a 700bhp ph1 then lol that sounds best then doing it that way need to hurry up and get these pipes ordered cheers for help btw finally understand it..

Also the turbo I have I was told was the garrett t28 but it doesn't have t28 anywhere stamped on it. Has the garrett stamp I'm just questioning as I'm sure I've seen the t28 turbo and it had the stamp on :/

batesey

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup Turbo
They dont usually mate, my old t25 on my punt gt had no stamp saying it was a t25, from the pics you sent me it looks like a t28 from a 200sx or something, wouldn't worry to much, main thing is you get it all running and mapped correctly

Ph1 T
Ah right sound yeah that's what it was apparently off.. Struggling to get hold of a friggin 51-40mm reducer now lol altho I am rushing at work

batesey

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup Turbo
The quality is far better though, i only rave about them because i think their one of the best silicone companies around lol

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
TBH for what he is doing, providing its not the utter rubbish off ebay he will be fine, Ive used silicon hoses ones at over 600bhp and over 2 bar of boost with NO problems.

Sometimes people get carried away making 4 ply hoses etc, its simply not required unless you are planning on runing 10 bar on a tractor pull engine or something!

batesey

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup Turbo
TBH for what he is doing, providing its not the utter rubbish off ebay he will be fine, Ive used silicon hoses ones at over 600bhp and over 2 bar of boost with NO problems.

Sometimes people get carried away making 4 ply hoses etc, its simply not required unless you are planning on runing 10 bar on a tractor pull engine or something!

I agree with strength, people do get carried away, i purely go there because the wrapping is perfect and not all over the place... im just picky on how things look lol

R5 gtt, R27 F1 team
a new unit maybe but why would someone fit a new unit to an old car?

although i have a brand new gt28rs on a '86 R9 but it was a bargain :D

Ph1 T
Just ordered my bits now from ASH

51mm to 38mm reducer elbow (turbo outlet 51mm all way down to intercooler)
70mm to 51mm reducer ekbow (from TB straight to intercooler)
63mm to 51mm reducer elbow (turbo outlet 51mm to 63 straight onto intercooler)
4 X 51mm 90 bends
3 X 51mm 45 bends
63mm straight
63 mm 45 bend
2 metre of 51mm alloy pipe
1 metre of 63mm alloy pipe

thats enough to get me started.. oh and tried a cheeky dicount code i found from june on google it worked and saved me £30 :)

172 cup, Impreza P1
Why go from 38mm to 63mm and then back down to 51mm on the exit of the intercooler then up to 70mm?

Seems like a long way for a short cut to me.

Ph1 T
Could I swap the intercooler round so the 63mm side went upto the TB and the 51mm side went upto the turbo outlet?

Ph1 T
Why go from 38mm to 63mm and then back down to 51mm on the exit of the intercooler then up to 70mm?

Seems like a long way for a short cut to me.

Which way would you go mate? The way is planned it went from 38 to 51 then 51 to 63 at intercooler then the 70-53 was TB end

172 cup, Impreza P1
Could I swap the intercooler round so the 63mm side went upto the TB and the 51mm side went upto the turbo outlet?

Don't see why not. Won't make too much difference I would think on power but would give you less of a step up, step down route.

172 cup, Impreza P1
Which way would you go mate? The way is planned it went from 38 to 51 then 51 to 63 at intercooler then the 70-53 was TB end

I would go 38 (turbo) to 51 (intercooler inlet) then 63 (intercooler outlet) to 70 (tb). Seems the easiest way to me.

I used 63 all the way so there is space and I didnt know what power level I wanted so over specced just in case.