ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Attemping boosted ph1

Cup In bits
I would go 38 (turbo) to 51 (intercooler inlet) then 63 (intercooler outlet) to 70 (tb). Seems the easiest way to me.

I used 63 all the way so there is space and I didnt know what power level I wanted so over specced just in case.

Exactly what I have been telling dan by PM, his intercooler can be spun in all directions from the looks of it, its symmetrical apart from the stupid different inlet/outlet sizes.

I can't see the thinking behind that.

172 cup, Impreza P1
Exactly what I have been telling dan by PM, his intercooler can be spun in all directions from the looks of it, its symmetrical apart from the stupid different inlet/outlet sizes.

I can't see the thinking behind that.

The only thing I can think of is the smaller dia out the turbo to aid spool then after the intercooler for less restriction?

Cup In bits
Aye and know as there will be a pressure drop at the other side of the intercooler? Not to worry with a low boost car but you want to keep smaller pipework to keep it punchy throughout the revs anyway.

Last edited:
  182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
The only thing I can think of is the smaller dia out the turbo to aid spool then after the intercooler for less restriction?

How the hell would the different sizes have that effect?

No doubt they are just different because the person making it knew no better.

Ph1 T
Think I'm going to give it a go doing it how swede cup and cupman29 said will swap a few bits over this morning,, makes sense really so run the 51 all way to turbo and 63 to the TB

Hopefully they'll just swap some bits over for me when I call this morning

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Think I'm going to give it a go doing it how swede cup and cupman29 said will swap a few bits over this morning,, makes sense really so run the 51 all way to turbo and 63 to the TB
Based on what you have to work around, I think that makes sense.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Auto silicon hoses are ok, but don't deal with heat very well. My LCR set fire to a silicon bend above the turbo on a hard drive back home lol

I dont think it would make difference what make that silicon was if exposed to that much heat TBH, just use a heat shield of some sort for things like that.

Ph1 T
A quick on about the turbo was talking to batesy on here about having the turbo water cooled is this needed or just much better to do it?

Also going to be taking the old engine out if the cup this weekend which I need the sump off will this be easy to do with the engine out if the car?

batesey

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup Turbo
The turbo is a water cooled turbo mate so would be silly not to plumb it up, it wont cost much in pipes and fittings and will keep it cooler

HBT 172 Cup
Will I be alright chucking the 40mm to 63mm piece on the outlet straight away then all the plumbing done in 63 down to the intercooler

You wont achieve anything by doing that, the turbo will have a 2" outlet, use that all the way to the intercooler. Then if you really must, upsize to 62mm form the intercooler to throttlebody. But it gets increasingly hard to route larger diameter pipes through the engine bay.

I only use piddly 2" pipes the whole way though (except upsized/downzied at the intercooler to 2.25"), 2" will flow 300bhp no problems.

Ph1 T
I'm running 51mm pipe from the turbo down to the intercooler then 63mm upto the TB it'll be alright doing if that way won't it?

Cup In bits
Use 51mm pipe throughout, just use reducers to connect upto turbo, intercooler and tb. It's just your intercooler that needs spun so that the biggest connection is on the side from the turbo. It will give a slightly better flow.

i think your getting your wires twisted here dan, what is the diameters of the turbo inlet/outlet. Inter cooler inlet/outlet and the diameter of your throttle body?

Last edited:
  Ph1 T
outlet of the turbo is 40mm
Inlet is 63mm
TB is 70mm

I'm running 51mm all way from intercooler to outlet of turbo then reducing it to 40 just before

Inlet is fine at 63mm straight round to filter

Them from the intercooler 63mm side running that upto the TB then step up to 70mm when hits TB??

That's exactly what's been said to run in here isn't it?

Ph1 T
Or should I have gone 51mm with all the pipes then just used reducers when connecting? Surely either way will work though?

Cup In bits
I was meaning to run everything in 51mm pipe but spin your intercooler so that the 63mm side of the intercooler was on the side leading to the throttle body. If you have room to run 63mm to tb and then step upto 70mm for the tb it will still work but as I have said, keeping smaller pipes will keep it punchier.

Ph1 T
The 63mm side is now on the side leading to the TB mate,, so there shouldn't be too much pipe work done in 63mm I don't think

Ph1 T
Okay aslong as it will work like that then it's fine,,

About the sump easier to remove with engine in or out?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
If the engine is out its easier. But not really a problem doing in situ either so don't take the engine out just for that.

You are likely to need to upgrade the clutch though, so might be worth doing it all in one go with the engine out.

Ph1 T
Both engines will be coming out anyway so will do it when out,,

Ah right thought the standard clutch would be fine for the time being what clutch should I get best place to get it mate

HBT 172 Cup
Standard clutch won't last long mate.

Im using a Helix 4 paddle friction plate on a stock LUK cover, costs £170 vs £450 for a full helix kit. Bites hard, never slips, and handles the torque well. Just a touch juddery to use for everyday driving.

Ill do you the diagram tommorow :)

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Get a 6 paddle plate and the standard cover then. Nicer to drive with than a 4 paddle.

i need an uprated cover for mine as the helix plate and luk cover slipped :(

R5 gtt, R27 F1 team
Valeo 801015 cover will do the job mate. Someone on rtoc had 370bhp and ???lb/ft on it with a 6-paddle Helix plate.

Ph1 T
Where's best place to get a 6 paddle plate lads? Ill have to get one ordered ASAP as I imagine ill struggle over Xmas

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Mardi gras Motorsport is your best bet.

Part number is 775117 price is 181+vat.
Standard cover should be ok for you.

Ph1 T
Good luck with this mate, should be good.

If everything goes to plan it will. Finger crosses :)

Although developed a problem on the ph1 this morning now it's not really drive able luckily it's going to be in the garage all Xmas having this lot done so ill check that out too