ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Attemping boosted ph1

Ph1 T
Right you'll all have to bear with my lack of knowledge and stupid questions I'll be asking in the up and coming weeks but hai ho,,,

Some of you may have seen my old ph1 thread http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?644646-Dan-s-Ph1-track-fun-car-project

The car was spot on running brilliant on track but I just wanted that bit more power so up came this
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Clio-172-...9350277?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item2ec38dde85

Stuck a cheeky bid in and got it at £1900 not to bad price I didint think it needed some megane injectors, all the hosing and a better ecu..

DA8830BF-4BA1-4A42-9D45-6BB59138A291-4468-00000381DB797E78.jpg

8211544948_bfc8fa9a83_m.jpg

So that's how I got the car,, well it didn't stay like that for long as soon as I got it parts were stripped as all I wanted was the turbo parts off the car oh and the wheels,,

Had a busy week selling parts and I've made back going on £1200 in body parts which will go towards all the parts I need to finish the job,,

So yesterday had the day off work and got on with removing a few hits and bobs filter radiator inter cooler ect next thing I know I had removed the turbo manifold down pipe intercooler radiator induction kit all pipes,,

Start of day
B79F3434-9764-404B-8285-0D6F89E93DB5-630-000000A36F0FE74D.jpg

Abit moved :)

BC551B89-CB4D-47ED-AB88-F0749223323A-786-000000DFC1C6B646.jpg

I'll get pics of all the parts later on but I manged to get the turbo manifold and sownpipe all out withou removing the engine I undid engine mound and gearbox mount it moved forward a little but not enough to get it out so got the tool for the job... Fiat punto scissor jack LOL

Put the jack against the engine and the bulkhead and wound it out and the engine was moving plenty and managed to get it far enough forward to get everything out was well happy to say the least..

This is where the oil feed is for the Turbo
64350709-F781-4AD9-892D-4BFCBE93A0B4-786-000000DFD56EFD63.jpg

Will I be able to fit this in the same position on my ph1 or will I need to make a new feed on the sump..

Yesterday ordered myself some injectors from http://www.worldsaparts.co.uk/megane-ii-rs-225-r26/fuel-injectors/megane-fuel-injectors.html

Hoping to have them by next week will be ordering plenty of pipe and bends later this evening then just waiting on a ecu,,

Anyway there's what I've done lay few days will get more pics up later of all the bits that come off and what will be going on the ph1

batesey

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup Turbo
The feed fits in the same place, are you getting mixed up with the oil return that goes into the sump matey?

R5 gtt, R27 F1 team
That's a great deal!

build looks to be well done too, proper manifold and catch tank!

Ph1 T
I was wondering about the manifold as I'd not seen one like that before on the other turbo cars looks like he's had everything fabricated himself

Ph1 T
heres a few photos of what i removed yesterday and parts ill be using

3FCD1237-217E-48D4-BEF8-68F970FA659A-1753-000001961E77DB2F.jpg

turbo :)
DDAF574A-5FC8-4AEC-B1FF-AC5651398696-1753-000001962AA39987.jpg

D74C3335-7673-4923-BF36-C064F5C2826D-1753-0000019634D01934.jpg

152226D3-D375-4EDF-8F02-D38ECC17B994-1753-000001963E3FD31B.jpg

567CCA2E-5C45-435E-8434-654D2627BB12-1753-00000196490FD27C.jpg

56EBCC5E-2FAE-493A-96BC-1960020B02F0-1753-0000019653932F9A.jpg

4A5D601A-0848-433C-97C5-6C3FADD90237-1753-000001965E33A734.jpg

Im about to order my boost piping now ive measured each ends on the intercooler and one end measures 63mm and the other 50mm does that sound about right to anyone? also on the turbo the size is 63mm.

This is where im buying my pipe work from
chrome://newtabhttp//www.autosiliconehoses.com/alloy-polished-pipe-1-metre-length-choose-your-size.html

i dont like the look of the manifold looks rather dated what can i use or where can i get it freshened up?

Trafic 140dci
You got an absolute bargain, i saw this and came very close to bidding, then remembered i'm buying a house next year :(

Good luck with it :)

Ph1 T
You got an absolute bargain, i saw this and came very close to bidding, then remembered i'm buying a house next year :(

Good luck with it :)

Cheers bud

I thought I got it at a decent price the car even drove when I got it,, now it's time to put my not very experienced brain into carrying out the work lol

Sure I'll get there.. Is that right with the intercooler Lewis? One end bigger than other

Ph1 T
You made the right choice doing this, you wont regret it and it should work out pretty cheap way of doing it once your done!

Hopefully well ive made going on £1200 in parts back from the cup this week so that's paying for a lot of the last bits I need

Trafic 140dci
Cheers bud

I thought I got it at a decent price the car even drove when I got it,, now it's time to put my not very experienced brain into carrying out the work lol

Sure I'll get there.. Is that right with the intercooler Lewis? One end bigger than other
Doesn't really matter tbh as long as it fits, i'd run the Turbo into the 63mm end so all the pipes are the same diametre then the 50mm you only need a pipe to go from 50-70mm and your sorted for the throttle body :)

If you want a cheap replacement intercooler, Chip is using a standard focus ST one on his ph1 (well at least thats how MWM built it..) and that doesn't hang about. Those intercoolers can be picked up for peanuts!

Ph1 T
Doesn't really matter tbh as long as it fits, i'd run the Turbo into the 63mm end so all the pipes are the same diametre then the 50mm you only need a pipe to go from 50-70mm and your sorted for the throttle body :)

If you want a cheap replacement intercooler, Chip is using a standard focus ST one on his ph1 (well at least thats how MWM built it..) and that doesn't hang about. Those intercoolers can be picked up for peanuts!

Ahh right I'll do that then like you said turbo into the 63mm side and other into throttle body,, yeah I think chip is using the st one if all fails I'll get hold of one,,

We're you not building a turbo clio? Thought I read you were??

Trafic 140dci
Ahh right I'll do that then like you said turbo into the 63mm side and other into throttle body,, yeah I think chip is using the st one if all fails I'll get hold of one,,

We're you not building a turbo clio? Thought I read you were??
Yes i was, Megane 225 engine :) But sold the engine to fund a house purchase, i WILL build a boosted clio at some point lol

I had a FMIC that was for an Astra GSI, that i got for free, just make do with what you can get cheap ;)

Ph1 T
Lol yeah costs are key ATM,,

Tbh if I was in a situation to have anywhere near enough for a house deposit I'd be putting that infront of the car altho I'm more than happy with where I'm renting (garage and big driveway) ;) lol

Take it no nurburgring next year for you then?

Trafic 140dci
Lol yeah costs are key ATM,,

Tbh if I was in a situation to have anywhere near enough for a house deposit I'd be putting that infront of the car altho I'm more than happy with where I'm renting (garage and big driveway) ;) lol

Take it no nurburgring next year for you then?
Nope, i'll be lucky to have a clio next year lol

Ph1 T
Just been looking at hoses am I right in thinking I'll be spending around £200 or am I ordering too much gear

Ph1 T
Looks like a good start Dan. Will keep an eye on this :)

I was really please I got all the bits off without taking the engine out tbh,, although I am still taking it out as I'm going to save it for spares,, getting it out in the next week then I can get it out of the garage and the ph1 in then the fun begins :)

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Subscribed.

Couple of hundred quid on hoses doesnt sound too over the top, its surprising how all the bends etc add up.

Ph1 T
Subscribed.

Couple of hundred quid on hoses doesnt sound too over the top, its surprising how all the bends etc add up.

That's alright then,, quite surprise how expensive they were Tbh think the 90 bends were over £15 a pop.. Chip now know where all the pipes go to what after that stupid question I asked you LOL

Ph1 T
will i be alright painting the turbo manifold? with some form of high temp paint also whats best to use to clean the turbo up

just ordered my engine crane so going to start disconnecting the cup engine this week and hopefully get my ph1 engine out at the weekend so will have plenty of updates coming

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Nothing you paint it with is going to last. Ceramic coating is only way to colour it and it stay looking right.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Are you doing bedford in February?

Im hoping to have my turbo there, subject to all the bits arriving in time for me to get it finished and run-in and mapped etc.

Think Mike from MWM's brother is bringing his turbo phase 1 as well, so there could be 3 of us :)

Ph1 T
Will be yeah just really hope I have no major setbacks over Xmas fitting the turbo..

Be good having 3 turbos there could be some decent laps together been chucked out

Also going to try and get it upto burspeed trackday in march you can't make It though can you?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Yes mate, should be really good fun chasing each other around bedford, fingers crossed we are all there ok then :)

I dont think I am going to llandow mate no, but at least one of our cars will be as Lesley is going, she'll probably choose them in the following order though:
The mk1
The RS2 Ph2
The Turbo Ph1

So its pretty unlikely the turbo will be there.

Ph1 T
Yeah be good if all 3 of them are running sound,,

You got to work or something on the day of llandow then mate? Not a bad selection she can choose from ay lol

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Would be a far better selection if the mini and the nova were done TBH!

Yeah looks like I have to work, will see nearer the time if I can get out of it.

Ph1 T
About to order the piping this is the list I drew up

3 metre of alloy pipe
70-50mm reducer bend
4 90's. 2@63mm 2@51mm
4 45's. ". ". ". "
Couple of straights
And jubilee clips

That should get me started I hope no doubt will need some more bloody expensive this piping lol

Ph1 T
Few bits were waiting for me today when i got home the main one meaning i can finally crack on with the conversion :)

engine crane
2A8A48B0-F9AA-490E-8489-3772092E6104-9781-000002978594CBF9.jpg

megane r26/225 injectors
408BFC75-520B-48B7-95C6-EB1BE156DC14-9781-000002977A028432.jpg

Just processing my order for my pipes now for the plumbing of the turbo

chrome://newtabhttp//www.autosiliconehoses.com/checkout/cart/

hopefully this will do me

Ph1 T
ATM ive got the exit on the side of the turbo is 63mm so im going to run that straight to the intercooler side which is also 63mm, Run the intercooler side which is 51mm up into the TB which will have a reducer taking it to 70mm to connect up. Then the exit on top of the turbo is 40mm so will direct that up and around for the K&N air filter,,

Getting all my stuff from AutoSiliconeHoses seen a few people use them on here and seem decent priced about £200 for the lot although i cant seem to find any jubilee clips on there site :/

More updates coming up over the weekend

Cup In bits
ATM ive got the exit on the side of the turbo is 63mm so im going to run that straight to the intercooler side which is also 63mm, Run the intercooler side which is 51mm up into the TB which will have a reducer taking it to 70mm to connect up. Then the exit on top of the turbo is 40mm so will direct that up and around for the K&N air filter,,

Getting all my stuff from AutoSiliconeHoses seen a few people use them on here and seem decent priced about £200 for the lot although i cant seem to find any jubilee clips on there site :/

More updates coming up over the weekend

Your theory doesn't sound quite right there Dan, 40mm onto the air filter. The entry/inlet to the turbo is usually the biggest diameter entry to the turbo.

Good luck with the build