ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Auto Express drive 206 GTi 180...

...and to be honest, they dont sound overly impressed. For those that havent read it, here are a few choice quotes and curiously they only list the 0-60 as 7.9??? - but then again we all know about listed 0-60s vs reality. It does look pretty nice though:

The 12Nm hike in torque has improved drive out of corners, while the exhaust delivers a satisfying rasp as the revs climb above 4,000rpm. However, if you were hoping to leave drivers of the regular GTi trailing in your dust, you may be disappointed. Although the newcomers in-gear performance is a second quicker from 30-70mph and nine-tenths of a second swifter over the 0-60mph sprint, there seems to be little to choose between them.

So where did the extra 42bhp go? Youll find out when you rev the 180s engine past the 4,000rpm mark. While the variable valve timing does a good job of massaging the torque spread, its only when you work it hard and keep the tacho needle in the upper reaches of the rev band that this really feels the keener machine.

At £14,995, the 180 is priced bang in the middle of the hot hatch pack: the Clio 172 and MINI Cooper S cost less, but the Civic Type R is more. However, the 206s generous equipment tally includes ABS, climate control and a CD player. Whether that and the improved driving experience will be enough to tempt buyers away from the established class leaders is another matter.

http://www.autoexpress.co.ukhttp://www.autoexpress.co.uk

Even better, read Autocars verdict !

"a pleasant enough but entirely unremarkable car"

"too little, too late"

"a mild evolution of an already underperforming and ageing car"

and another quote:

"The current master of this art is the brilliant, stripped out Renault Clio 172 Cup which offers dazzling down the road talents for just £12995. Sure, it doesnt have air conditioning but when youre having that much fun, who cares ?"

Seems Autocar were less restrained with their comments!!

Also Auto Express top story this week is on the new Clio (on sale next year they say). Initially with 75bhp 1.2, 98bhp 1.4 and 110bhp 1.6, plus the 65 and 85bhp dCi. They say the RenaultSport 2.0 will appear later with "as much as 200bhp" but the mid engined V6 is unlikely to continue

Any comments on that Jeremy? ;)

No problem Rockport.......give them a couple of weeks and Im sure theyll do another hot hatch shootout (in a bit more detail than this review) between the GTi 180, 172, CTR and Cooper S. Doubt it will be the Cup as its too underspecced compared to the above so not comparable.

Good edition of AE this week for Renault.....Top story on the new Clio and the new V6 feature too - worth a read.

i know the 180gti prob isnt evolution but f**k me Autocar is a lame magazine major thumsdown for autocrap boo. i mean why trust them they had the 172 down as 0-60 in 8.2 they also think the focus RS is gods gift when EVO had chasis engineers saying its dangerous well not exactly that nice but you know.

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

There is an Autocar review out too and they are not impressed either...

Seems Peugeot f*cked this up and there will never be a decent 206 now!

The thing I dont understand is how it can be such a disappointing performer. I mean, what are the stats for the std GTi? - despite its less than class standard bhp output, I thought it was actually a reasonable performer. I guessed that the 180 would be late 6s/early 7s to 60 but apparently not