ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Auto Finesse Tough Prep and Spirit Review / Renaultsport Clio 200 Detail

So after receiving the two samples in the post, I went about the usual prep with a wash and dry, as the car had been fully decon'd a month ago. Tough prep was then worked via DA to test correction and filling properties, followed by application of Spirit.

10783853264_cf26f81dc9_c.jpg

Tough Prep

Looking firstly at the Tough Prep, i didn't see much difference with this and rejuvenate, which I usually apply by DA as well. Slightly thicker in consistency, but a similar smell and finish as rejuvenate.

I found Tough Prep to be much less corrective than rejuvenate, with it being more glaze-like, as it did leave a very slick surface after buffing. Being a dedicated paint cleanser, I was surprised to see how much gloss it left behind.

10782543894_2dbd0648e3_c.jpg

The product went on without fuss and was very easy in terms of buffing off and didn't seem to dry on, even after getting around the whole car.

Overall, I think the product left a very clean base, ideal for any waxes or sealants in reality, but I'm sure it will have a higher level of compatibility with AF waxes. I would definitely choose to buy this over Prima Amigo and Poorboys Black Hole, both products which I rate very highly. The only thing that it is beaten by with the likes of Amigo or AM Details Glaze is that it carries no desirable scent, but obviously that's a minor issue.

Positives

Great paint cleanser
Ease of use

Negatives

Scent
Made redundant by Rejuvenate?

Spirit

Moving onto the wax sample, Spirit was possibly one of the nicest smelling waxes I have ever used! An absolutely awesome scent and did give it that 'expensive wax feeling'.

Applied with a finger applicator, the wax was quite hard to track with it being so transparent and 'sealant-like' in how it spreads. Where the likes of Zymol and Swissvax waxes the relative price range are quite buttery, this was a lot thinner and spreaded very far. I'm not sure I was a fan of it being so thin in consistency but the finish was worthy of it.

10782438225_0ff77e15e6_c.jpg

I found a very quick change during the curing stages with it going from cured to tough to remove within minutes. The wax didn't ever set as much as others, but the curing was quite temperamental. Again, I believe this is ok given the benefits and durability to be had.

Looking at the price of the wax, I believe £90 is easily justified given the speculated 6 months durability and gloss that can only be had from wax, but I'm still not sure on Auto Finesse waxes and how special they really are. Whilst the wax is worthy of the value, I think the product exceeds it's packaging in comparison to the likes of Swissvax and Zymol. There is also the comparison to be had with sealants, but that's another story.

If I can manage to achieve 6 months out of the wax then I will be very impressed, because the gloss on this wax is unbelievable.

Positives

Scent
Gloss
Durability

Negatives

Application
Packaging

I only managed to get a few photos but it's quite easy to see just how glossy the finish is.

10782673423_63183b25e8_b.jpg

10782443196_886ba9f4c3_b.jpg

10782404005_f623984a2b_b.jpg

Thanks for reading my review!

Andy

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Love the review and the 200, it's well known how good RB looks in lowlight! Love it.

Agreed on AF wax packaging. Doesn't work when asking big money for waxes. Take a look at definitive wax pots.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
But they look and feel cheaper. A wax is about more than the contents, I say this time after time.

Oh and tough prep felt a but Werkstat Prime? Pure cleanser.

Thanks Kev, I love how dark RB looks on overcast days compared to almost baby blue in sunlight!

In reality I think it's the main thing letting down the range. I've used Illusion and Spirit and both are brilliant waxes, but you need more than function for near enough triple figure prices.

Nice write up :)

would a a 'better' pot not mean more expense? I like that all the AF waxes are all uniform bar the names/colours :)

Thanks mate, I read yours earlier and noticed you found the same issues with the transparency when applying.

I don't think a better pot would demand higher prices, but if it did, it would be minimal difference depending on what they do.

Golf GT & A4 Avant
nice write up

from what I understand tough prep is supposed to lay down more of a polymer base than wax base when compared to rejuvenate. I personally didn't think it cleansed as well as rejuvenate. It does leave a lovely finish though

Spirit can be a right PITA if left to cure for too long, get that right and it's very easy. It always proved to be pretty durable in my use. Was fairly good at resisting tar and other bonded contamination.

never used this combo together though

Golf 7.5R & Clio 200
Nice write up! Lovely car too, shame I wasn't in the market for a 200 a month or so earlier, could have been mine! :( haha

Interesting read - Can't see any reason to replace my rejuvinate with TP though.

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
Thanks mate, I read yours earlier and noticed you found the same issues with the transparency when applying.

I don't think a better pot would demand higher prices, but if it did, it would be minimal difference depending on what they do.

Yeah, I ended up spooning it on to see it before finding a happy medium, I enjoyed playing around though.

what other waxes are in spirits price bracket so I can google their packaging?

nice write up

from what I understand tough prep is supposed to lay down more of a polymer base than wax base when compared to rejuvenate. I personally didn't think it cleansed as well as rejuvenate. It does leave a lovely finish though

Spirit can be a right PITA if left to cure for too long, get that right and it's very easy. It always proved to be pretty durable in my use. Was fairly good at resisting tar and other bonded contamination.

never used this combo together though

Ah I see, thanks for letting me know Dave!

Great review.

And a stunning 200 you have;)

Thanks Martin!

Nice write up! Lovely car too, shame I wasn't in the market for a 200 a month or so earlier, could have been mine! :( haha

Interesting read - Can't see any reason to replace my rejuvinate with TP though.

You could well have been! yours isn't any different to mine in reality!

Yeah, I ended up spooning it on to see it before finding a happy medium, I enjoyed playing around though.

what other waxes are in spirits price bracket so I can google their packaging?

Zymol Carbon, Swissvax Onyx, Mitchell & King and Gally mentioned Definitive Wax.

LiamR172

Scotland - NW
ClioSport Area Rep
Good write up, car looks lovely aswell!

Where have you heard of the AM Details products? Hes local to me, i didnt realise his products were so widespread!

Multi-quote in true Chip fashion:

Had a google, different strokes for different blokes ey, I like the Mitchell and king wax packaging but the rest are hit and miss

True, but the AF packaging isn't within the same frame imo. I don't really know the difference between all the AF waxes except price.

That looks superb! Colour has came up great!

Thanks mate. :)

Great write up, Andy. Expected nothing less. Looks good. Looking forward to testing it with @Rob and @Scrooge

Cheers Jamie! You going to be testing the same combo? Interested to hear your thoughts.

Good write up, car looks lovely aswell!

Where have you heard of the AM Details products? He's local to me, i didnt realise his products were so widespread!

Thanks! The AMDetails products have really impressed me since meeting Alan at FCS.

He's a really nice guy as well!

I want your car!! ....

Nice write up and good review :)

Thanks Dan. :)

Coby.

ClioSport Club Member
Stunning, Never seen RB look so glossy..... Helps that the paintwork is no doubt in tip top condition.