ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Autocar

S2000

In this weeks best handling car test the new V6 is "quicker than the 206 Gti 180, just" yet a few weeks ago I think it was Autocar that had the Cup against the 206 180 and the Cup blew it away. They said if the 206 has 180bhp then Renault must ahve sneaked 200 into the Cup or something.

They say the sneaky tyres on the Alfa are probably 3 secs a lap quicker than the standard tyres but that would still put it on 1min 27.8 compared with 1min 28.5 for the V6 even tough and they wasnt really impressed with the Alfas handling, especially Michael Brentwood.

Any ideas/comments/explanations?

I can only assume Autocar contradict themselves so much and make so many mistakes because they are a weekly, theyve always been like this.

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

"it was Autocar that had the Cup against the 206 180 and the Cup blew it away. They said if the 206 has 180bhp then Renault must ahve sneaked 200 into the Cup or something"

No... that was Evo mate, I have the article.

S2000

Ah ok

Any more ideas on why the V6 wasnt as fast as I would have expected compared to the others?

Could it just be not suited to that circuit?

Renault probably didnt send enough free stuff (money, mugs, pens, caps) to autocar to get a decent lap time (if you know what i mean?).

I saw that article and briefly skim-read it for clio stuff - I cant believe they didnt get a Cup down there, bearing in mind they had a Ford Ka for f*cks sake! The Cup seems to generally be acknowledged as one of the best handling cars money can buy, yet they ignore it and stick a V6 in there instead? Why not run both?