ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Autoglym

I have read recently that it is harmful to use Autoglym Super Resin Polish every month on your car.. apparently this should only be used twice a year.

Comments..

Astra 1.9cdti XP

True - as it take a small amout of paint of your car. Use it too much and youll end up with no paint :eek:

Once a year should be enough, if you must wax it once a month then use a normal wax with no abbrasives. I use Turtle Wax Extreme Polish works a treat

I use the Super Resin stuff to clear off small scratches and when the whole car needs a little extra colour. Now I use the Extra Gloss Protection (non-abrasive) about once a week , but used to use the Super Resin all the time and never noticed any ill effects. I only drive the car about once a week!!

I havent noticed any bad effects from the Polish or the Extra Gloss Protection I use as well.. but from what Ive read it might be going in the bin!!

Astra 1.9cdti XP

Dont bin it its still good stuff and Im sure you havent done any damage. You just dont need to use it all the time.

Use it once a year to freshen the paint up and use a wax once a fortnight and regularly use something like Turtle Wax extra gloss guard, gives it a deep shine and its dead easy to put on!!

350z & 16v Maxi

It is like t-cut but not as abrasive. It takes a very small amount of paint off your car when you polish it. After about 5 years of polishing it every other week youll need a respray!!!

Toureg vW Transporte

is this the stuff with the red label on it, think thats what ive been using, it doesnt say any thing on the bottle guys, i use it 4 times a week:confused:

Toureg vW Transporte

right just been out to check and the super resin polish is the one with the red label!it doesnt say any thing about not using it to often!the texture of it is very smooth and doesnt seem abrasive like t-cut

STICKER TWONK

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf GTi DSG

Whoops, Ive been doing mine once a week for about 6 months :eek:

Better stop I think then! Looks sooooooo shiny though

I use the Turtle Wax Extreme Stuff.. very nice - leaves paintwork really smooth - The Autoglym is good, but I wouldnt use it every week.. hehe.. I wax my car about once a month though - only wash it every week (sometimes, it gets washed twice a week).

Daz.

I used to use Super Resin Polish and it did have something in it that removed your laquer/paint. Dont knowif it still does - Simonz Wax is the best for the amount of time it lasts but is very hard work. I have tried Turtle Wax extreme for the first time so well see how long that lasts. I allways use Turtle wax top gloss sealer after ive polished.

20VT Clio & 9-5 HOT

Iv been doing mine with this stuff every week for ages now. It doesnt say anything on the bottle about using it only a few times a year....!

I think I might look into this "top gloss" people are on about.. does it make it shinier for longer?

Daz.

Super resin polish is abrasive... it Will remove a very, very fine layer of clear-coat or paint when you use it. Try it on a non-clear-coated car, you will see the paint colour come off on your cloth.

Most people confuse polishing with waxing.

POLISHING: Is when you use a product which removes the top layer of worn, aged paint/clear-coat to reveal fresh new paint/clear-coat. it will also feed ols etc to the new paint. Ladies know this as exfoliating, where removing the deald old skin reveals the new, fresh skin. Polishing should only really be done perhaps 2 - 4 times a year.

GLAZING: Most people havent even heard of glazing a car, but think of it as make-up for a car. A Glaze such as Meguiars #7, Meguiars Hand Polish or 3M Imperial Hand Glaze gives a truly wet look and also fills in minor swirls and scratches, which are then protected by a wax.

WAXING: A process used to seal in the gloss achieved with polishing. A quality carnauba wax will add either a warm glow, or a wet depthness, depending on the wax you choose.

A lot of the stuff you can buy off the shelf from Halfords etal, really constitute a polish cum wax, ie a cleaner wax. This is just a lot of steps in one, but doesnt really do any of them properly.

If you think that the all-in-one polish you currently use makes your car shiny, wait until you see what your car looks like when you use proper supplies on it.

In the enthusiast world, stuff like Meguiars Pro line or the S100 range (S100 is available from Harley-davidson dealers) is incredible, especially S100. S100 polish (called Shine Enhancing Cleanser) is amazing, as is S100 Paste Wax.

To keep on topic, the Super Resin Polsih should only be used perhaps every quarter, and then the Extra Gloss Protection perhaps every 2 to 3 months. You can use the EGP as often as you like, but as it is a polymer sealant you are only wasting product, as it is quite long lasting. Also, if you use EGP try leaving it on the car for at least 2-3 hours before buffing it off.

get hold of a load of microfiber towels which are very sofy and will prevent micro-marrring/swirls on your paint. Old T-shirts and towels that have been rejected fom the bathroom are also no good either.

If you decide to use a true pure carnauba wax, let it cure overnight, then mist a light spray of filtered/bottled water over it the next day and then buff it off. The water helps to set the wax and add a little more depth to the shine.

regards

face

So.. would it be ok to use the Autoglym Super Resin Polish followed by the Extra Gloss Protection, with a glaze on the top and then a carnuaba wax?

Or would it be better to use just the Autoglym products then a wax? Or just the glaze and then a wax?

Thanks for the comments btw

I use MER polish and shampoo. It is excellent stuff, quite expensive tho. You can mix the polish in with the shampoo and it waxes your car as you wash. My car glitters now!!!

I use a wax then top gloss sealer on top - lasts for about 2 months somtimes more - its hard work tho!

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8

if u look at the zymol propper stuff or ne other professional car cleaners u have the 3 steps

the zymol has 3 first u use the auto bathe which u add to water to act like a shampoo, then the hd cleanse which takes cleans the paint like super resin polish does and finaly u use the wax which will put the protective layer on it. like faceman said if u do this u will see a 100% increse in the looks, zymol do a spray that u can get that if u wash your car after u have done the 3 steps but it still looks slightly dull u spray it on and it reactivates the wax and makes it look as good.

so u could do the 3 steps then the week after give it a wash off then if there are any bits u arnt happy with u just spray it and rub it off and it looks top notch again.

zymol isnt cheap but is good stuff, if u cant stretch to there prices u can get a 3 step meguairs product that includes paint cleaner, wax and a polish now the polish is different to normal polish in a way that it isnt abbrasive and that it just restores the wax, also meguairs gold class polish is non abrasive and u can use it as much as u want and gives a good finish.

Clare:

if you want to follow those steps then,

Super resin Polish (to shine the paint)
Glaze (for even more shine!)
Extra Gloss Protection (for, well, protection)

That would be it, but if you want, you can add a wax on top of EGP for a glow/wetness.

If you want to know more, post any questions,

Face

PS Get some microfibres... way, way better than old t-shirts and some applicator pads, Put the polish,glaze/wax etc on with the pads, buff off with MFs....

PPS: also meant to add... beware of time involvement...

yesterday i done a friends silver corsa for her.

1) Wash and dry
2) Megs #9 swirl mark remover 2 (to remove light swirls and scratches)
3) S100 Shine Enhancing Cleanser
4) 3M Imperial Hand Glaze
5) S100 Wax

Also fully-detailed the inside, wheel wells, wheels and tyres.

Took me 9 hours. Looked nice tho She was well pleased. Couldnt stop smiling and stroking her car. Her smile was so bright, she could have been a candle! Made it all worthwhile.

I have got plenty of time to try and get the perfect shine on the car.

Family/boyfriend etc think Im nuts over it, obsessive compulsive etc, but I actually enjoy doing it, and I find it a good way of taking your mind off everything else in life for a good few hours - cant be bad.

I will get some pictures of the car after Ive applied those 4 layers which I am planning to try out sometime soon. Should look the best ever.

Any ideas where you can get the 3M Imperial Hand Glaze from in this country?

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8

clare if u can afford it i reccomend the zymol starter kits which u get the 3 stage kit in but u get some wax pads and microfiber things in, it costs 99 quid but is well worth it as u only need it once every 2 months.

MaLicE

i can post a link to it if u want.

3m glaze can come from pretty much any motor factors. I have a part number which I post tomorrow. Or if you promise to post pics of your car when its doone I can send your a few ounces to use, if you like.

I would recommend to start with getting the Meguiars 3-stage deep crystal system. It costs about £24 for the three products but works very well for an entusiast/consumer range.

Megiuars naming conventions leave a little to be desired and often used contradicting/conflicting names and the Deep Crystal is one of them. It comprises:

Stage 1: Deep Crystal Paint Cleaner - actually a polish.
Stage 2: Deep Crystal Polish - actually a glaze, like 3m IHG.
Stage 3: Deep Crystal Carnauba Wax - this is actually a wax, so well done Meguiars, but one out of threee is pretty poor, tho.

Also get a pack of 4 Meguiars applicator pads (£3.99) too. Check out www.meguiars.co.uk for product details, but buy them from www.speeding.co.uk and you wont pay any p+p (Megs charges £3.49 per order).

If you really are into cleaning your car etc (and you sound like you are) check out www.autopia.org. I visit there a lot (almost tooooo much). It is a great forum all about nice clean cars. You can also learn the truth about zymol from a guy who bought the £1500 wax, too. Loads of advice, tips, product reviews, everything.

For a car-cleaning nut, its like coming home ;-)

Face

hmm.. Cant spend more than a few hours on me car.... dont really have the time.

I just wash with shampoo

Dry with a leather chamois

and then use Color Magic .

All this is done every couple weeks...... dont really want an A1 Glossy shine... just something that looks nice......

Is my method okay for the car? or is there something that i should be avoid doing?
[/QUOTE]

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

so where is the best place to the the wax excetera..

I already have all the autoglym stuff so all i really need is the cloths and the wax..

where can i get good wax.. ?

You can get the s100 from harley dealers if you happen to live near one. Cost about £15 for enough to do a clio about 25-30 times.

For meguiars stuff visit www.meguiars.co.uk or call them on 0870 241 6696, but you will pay £3.49 p+p per order, although more and more local car shops supply it now. Or www.speeding.co.uk, who dont charge p+p and sell the entire Meguiars consumer range.

Meguiars Consumer Range:
Deep Crystal Paint Cleaner, Deep Crystal Polish, Deep Crystal Wax - all £7.99 each and come in 16oz bottles.

Meguiars Pro Range:
#82 Swirl Free Polish (32oz - £13.85), then either #7 Show Car Glaze (16oz - £8.57) or Hand Polish (which, despite its name, is a glaze. 32oz - £14.52), followed by #26 Hi Tech Yellow Wax (Liquid 16oz or Paste 11oz).

Meguiars Foam Applicator Pads (4 for £3.99) - can be slung in a washing machine when youve used them.

I bought a whole load of carpride microfibres from poundland, which are very soft and plush.

HTH,

Face

Face,

What shampoo do you use? Or do you always stick to the same brand throughout? i.e. if you wax etc with Meguiars, do you use their shampoo as well? Ive heard that its better to use a shampoo that doesnt contain a wax as well.

A free sample of 3M IHG would be much obliged! Promise to post pics after using it too ;)

Clare

That must have bin done with some camera trickery!!! Can a car be made to look that shiny? While we are on this topic does anyone know how to stop getting polish on the black plastic bits, and if it does get on there whats the best way of getting it off?

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

faceman,

Thx for the adivce, I have now spent 40 quid at speeding.co.uk ..

I got

DESCRIPTION
Qty
PRICE
COST

Applicator Pads
£3.99
£3.99

Deep Crystal Paint Cleaner
£7.99
£7.99

Deep Crystal Polish
£7.99
£7.99

Deep Crystal Carnauba Wax
£7.99
£7.99

Endurance High Gloss Tyre Gel
£6.99
£6.99

Microfibre Cloth
£5.99
£5.99

Subtotal:
£40.94

Total:
£40.94

Billabong,

No camera trickery needed. its all in the prep. ie pre-cleaning, pre-wax (ie polishing). It IS hard work, but that is how you can make a car look with patience, time, experience and the right products. To avaid getting the wax on black bits. Be careful. Just joking. If you use quality products, like the s100 wax, it doesnt dry white. In fact, some of the guys over at autopia deliberately put it on their black trim. persoannly, I havent had the guts to try it yet tho.

Clare,

At the moment, Im using Meguiars Gold Class Shampoo. Its a tad pricey at £4.99 for 16oz, but they do sell 64oz for £14.99. Lovely and slick feeling when you use it. Suds like crazy. It contains no wax, and is pH balanced, so is easier on the wax you have on the car.

_KDF,

Now youre all set. You should only need the paint cleaner about 2-4 times a year, followed by the Polish. Keep on top of the waxing, say once every 3 or 4 weeks to keep the shine from the polish locked in and youre set.

The High Gloss gel is great. Smells just like grapes. It is very greasy to handle though. Scrub your tyres well and then apply the Gel and really work it in well. After 30- 60 mins pull your car forward half a wheel-turn and do them again. They will really shine. If you dont like the really glossy shine, it eventually turns to a nice deep matte effect, which is quite nice. Youll need to sacrifice one of your new pads just to the Gel tho. When Im done using it i squish out as much of the left-over Gel as possible from the Pad, and then out a big dollop of washing-up liquid on the pad to soak in, as this seems to kill the gel in the pad.

You may also want to get some more MFs tho as you really need at least a couple per stage. I got a load of carpride ones at poundland, but also found some bright orange ones in poundland too. The MFs are excellent at cleaning glass, too.

Something else that is quite good also, is a quick detailer. it is a spray that you mist on to your car paint when you have wash and dried it, then buff off. It adds a high-gloss shine, but only for 2 or 3 days tho. is quite a nice finishing tough. meguiars make one, but I think others make them too, although I use the Meguairs trade ones called Final Inspection and Final Detail.

The Monk,

You have PM (well, will have shortly!).

regards

face