ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Aux Belt rubbing problem

Just thought I'd post afew pictures of my Aux Belt that had been rubbing.
Back story first.
Noticed the Aux Belt looked a little 'worn' and 'dusty' around Tensioner Spring, when I changed the Engine mount in the summer, but couldn't see how, so kept an eye on it.
It then seemed to be getting worse and getting the old bit a squeal during turning (possible from the power steering pump put extra strain), searched the net for anything similar, and nothing.

So bit the bullet and bought a new Aux Kit for this long weekend, while I was changing the Clutch.

Anyway, following stripping of the front of the car, I could see that the Tensioner Spring had bent towards the back of the car and was fouling the Aux Belt.
20151227_151009.jpg
20151227_151034.jpg

Once removed the Aux Belt had worn through to the Fabric String within the Rubber.
20151227_150819.jpg
20151227_150932.jpg
20151227_150902.jpg

Leaving the Spring like this.
20151227_151001.jpg

Anyway following the Cambelt Guide by @ben_p and a couple hours of nice weather, its now nice and new, along with a straight spring.

R5gtt, 182, volvo...
Are the pulleys still spinning freely?

If it's was a fk up when changed I doubt it would have lasted 2 month, certainly not 2 years... Just an unfortunate fail, but lucky you saved it for causing more woes...

Pulleys seemed fine, I'll check the old one in the morning.
I wonder if it bent, when it was fitted?
when the 'special tool' is used to remove tension when the belt is fitted.