ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

aux belt tensioner tool

Clio Sport 182
Hi,

I've seen a lot of threads about the jubilee method and haven't actually got under the bonnet yet to even see what I'm looking at. I got a 182 with air con as I assume the setup is different from what I've read. is the tool worth getting as I plan on doing this myself then my mate who works in a garage will buy it off of me as he seems to get a lot of work on these engines and seems to think it will make his life easier. does anyone have a link to where I can get one from and roughly how much am I looking at? if its a ridiculous price ill opt in for the jubilee clip method. also does anyone have any pics of where to place the jubilee clip or is it really obvious once I get down there as I read a post where a guy was putting the belt on and the clip came off and hit him in the face :( I don't fancy a black eye lol ;)
also when doing the belt is it easiest to go in from the wheel arch and drop the engine slightly? ive don't belts before and looking from the top this looks very tight!
thanks

Clio 182
Use a 3/8 extension from your socket set.

I've done loads with it

When the drivers headlight is removed I make a small access hole in line with the tensioner too.

Clio Sport 182
I'm replacing the tensioner and wheel/s as I'm buying a kit, I assume the 3/8 socket is just for belt replacement to slacken the tensioner to remove the belt if it all wasn't being replaced?
also is it worth replacing it all as I'm just in habit of doing cam/aux belts just buy a kit and replace it all or are the tensioners pretty good as I believe it was done at 72k (now on 103k) but I cant find paperwork to support this. I was told it was all replaced when the cambelt/dephaser was done.
thanks for a fast reply!

Clio Sport 182
again I'm assuming once I bolt the new tensioner on just use this to compress the spring and slip the belt on? same as nearly every other car by the sounds of it? reading old threads make it seem so much more complicated than it seems
thanks I'm definitely considering a tool

M2 Comp
again I'm assuming once I bolt the new tensioner on just use this to compress the spring and slip the belt on? same as nearly every other car by the sounds of it? reading old threads make it seem so much more complicated than it seems
thanks I'm definitely considering a tool

Yes that's right mate. Its the limited access that makes it difficult in my opinion, otherwise it's fairly straight forward. If you've got experience doing belts on other cars, I'm sure you'll be fine :up:

Clio Sport 182
the hardest one I did was on a c25xe v6 in an old 1997 tigra :D that was fun! ill give myself plenty of time and just get the wheel arch out and headlight out and possibly jack the engine up for extra fiddling room :)