ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Back Box Fallen Off Already!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!....

Flame Red 172!
Bo**ocks.

Driving along today and my bloody back box has fallen off!!!...did a previous post talking about a 4k rattle at about 80 mph in 5th and someone said it might be the exhaust...Friday the bloody 13th!

Anyone help me out with pricing for a new back box or would it be better to go for something aftermarket (and how much?) - Really haven't got a massive amount of money at the moment so any advice would be very VERY appreciated!

By the way, I phoned one place and they said that I have what's called a cut and shut exhaust coz it hasn't got a clamp on the pipe after the rear axle...WTF?!

Oh and the car is a 172 on a 51 plate, just in case it matters.

Also...I take it I can keep driving it?

Yours disappointedly,

Mike. :(

1.6 Focus, 1.6 122S
Best off going for an aftermarket stainless steel exhaust with a lifetime warrenty

Prospeed in Cardiff are worth the trip and charge about £320 from teh catalytic converter back

Flame Red 172!
Cheers mate but I just can't afford that at the moment...Have just been quoted £130 + VAT for the backbox - good price?

Got quoted £160.00 + VAT from somewhere else.

Worth ringing a main stealer just to get a comparison?!

Gutted mate. You only got it last week did'nt you? How many miles you on? - they don't last much past 40k usually.

Defo recommend Prospeed v good product and service. Don't really see the point of replacing with a new OE backbox as it'll blatantly fail again and is overpriced

was 172 Cup now 197
The Same thing happened to me about 3 months ago. In desperation I went to Renault in Manchester, they just replaced the back box without replacing the centre section (they just clamp it on). £180 all in! :( Wish I could have gone elswhere but I use the car every day for work and needed to get it sorted asap.

Flame Red 172!
Just got quoted £167.80 for a new back box including VAT and Fitting from my local Reno garage?!

Gonna take it in tomorrow and see what they say.

Sib

Clio 172 (Silver)
I had a right bother and got a magnex instead for cheaper. You can get a full system for a ton more than that

Flame Red 172!
Just phoned a place to ask about a magnex or scorpion (or whatever really) after-market system and got quoted around £300 not including fitting...he also said that they will all have the pipe visable out the back which I don't really want...want to keep it nice and subtle really.

Any further info anyone?

Renault Clio Mk1 1.4 RT
If you've still got the back box and its not in too bad condition - take it to charlie browns or quick fit and get it put back on!!

They just have a stainless steel tube with clamps and clamp it on - should only cost about a £20 max and will last long enough - at least until you want to pay for a new one!!

I had mine done months ago and its still going strong!!

Cheers,

Dumpy

i went to pro speed and i have to say they are pure quality, quiet on the motorway but has a bit of a note to it when i get on the fast pedel.

Echo echo echo echo... LOL

Dumpy's suggestion's a good idea til you can afford an aftermarket replacement. I won't be going for an OE exhaust if mine goes since you can get a quality aftermarket cat back system for less than the cost of an OE one.

Flame Red 172!
Hi guys, thanks for the advice...

Had a ProSpeed Stealth cat back system put on last weekend which I was reasonably happy with until I decided it sounded a bit louder than it did when they originally put it on...looked under the car and it hadn't been sealed properly where the cat meets the new pipe and it was spitting out a bit of fluid!...Took it back and they sealed it again and now it's settled in it sounds great!

As the place was 45 minutes from where I live, they even paid me £15 for petrol to come down and have it re-sealed!!!!!!

I know that some people on here don't rate PowerFlow but mine cost me £225 all in and i'm very happy so far...Is slightly louder than I would like but not in any way 'boy-racer-ish'...just sounds more sporty! :D