ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

back end stepped out.....again

Octavia VRS

Was driving to girlfriends early on sat morning and the road didnt appear icy or slippy in any way.

Went through traffic lights at green and was turning right. I didnt think I was going fast and as the car was turning, the back end of Clio went out. I got it back OK but I am getting used to it now!

Now I think of it, each time the back end has stepped out, I have been turning right. It just seems like there is no grip there. I have checked tyres which appear fine (treat and psi).

Any ideas on why it is doing this - My car is a Clio 1.4 Alize V plate

[Edited by POW_Clio on 29 November 2004 at 12:50pm]

might have been that it was maybe just black ice - it bloody woke me up tho (im not a morning person!)

U probably were just drivin too fast m8, when i crashed me 205 i didnt think i was drivin too fast until i lost control, then i realised i had been drivin way too fast.

Sounds dodgy to me mate. It seems strange that if it was black ice only the back stepped out. If you were turning a corner or at a junction, the front wheels should have gone over the black ice first and you would have felt the car push straight on rather turn crisply - just like exaggerated understeer. What you describe is sudden oversteer and that aint good in a front wheel drive car going relatively slowly!

Id get it checked out ASAP

Renault Laguna Coupe

sudden oversteer is easy to provoke in a front drive car - if you lift off the throttle sudddenly in slippery conditions the weight goes onto the front wheels, and round you go.

Octavia VRS

its happened about 3 times now since i bought the car 2 years ago.

twice on roundabouts - 1 time i admit to running late and driving like a tw*t, however the other time i had just pulled off from sitting stationary and the back end stepped out . I put that down to oil on road at the time as i was going SO slow and was only in 2nd gear

I honestly think I wasnt going fast on sat Le_Smithier, but it could be like you say that we probably dont realise how fast we are going until it is too late or if it is pointed out by others.

Jezza - I thought the same about the black ice issue 2. Car will be getting serviced very soon so will definitely say about it. It seemed ok after that so touch wood that it behaves itself!

The Jinx

Id have thought that youre front shouldve slid wide first if it was the road conditions.

You dont have different tyres on the front/back do you? Could be the brake bias valver is in need of adjustment?

Octavia VRS

got 2 new front tyres recently but the 2 rear continentals are still quite new so was told i wouldnt have to change them over.

is the correct procedure to move the new ones to the back and the older ones to the front?

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

Best thing to do when its cold, really wet etc.. is just drive like a granny.. I dont see the point in driving fast in the rain/ice .. you cant get any enjoyment out of the car when its like that... wait for the hot sunny days, windows down... one insanely twisty B road... you get the idea :)

The Jinx

I prefer the wet since you can push the limits of the car and find them at much slower speeds!

On private areas of tarmac that is, obviously. Stands one in good stead for when its warm and one is pushing along a bit.

Octavia VRS

Quote: Originally posted by mike8579 on 29 November 2004

Yep. They are the same size I assume?
yep same size mate, bloody cars!!

KDF - i drove like a granny for rest of day mate. One roundabout in particular in Livingston that I have to drive around at what seems 5mph so that the car wont slide!! Even in dry!

The Jinx

You might want to get it looked at for peace of mind. If you werent pushing it then it shouldnt have gone at all.

I managed 30mph round a r/bout the other night before the front started to slide a bit.

Quote: Originally posted by KDF on 29 November 2004

Best thing to do when its cold, really wet etc.. is just drive like a granny.. I dont see the point in driving fast in the rain/ice .. you cant get any enjoyment out of the car when its like that... wait for the hot sunny days, windows down... one insanely twisty B road... you get the idea :)
Ditto to that and stop driving like a tit Kenny.

CLIO 197 Ultra red

its a characteristic of the car, the loose back end. ive had my 182s ass out afew times. my old 1.9dielsel clio was rediculous for it.. bloody lethal in the wet that thing.... then again it was an ex write off.....

Pink & Blue 182, JDM DC2

I imagine you got a little understeer - greasy conditions, little lift on the gas and you get the natural lift off oversteer.

Perhaps try driving a little slower!

The Jinx

It took a fair bit to provoke the dci when I had one. Managed 50mph round the Parkway/Mancunian Way r/bout before lift off was required and even then it was nice and progressive.

Plus he has stated he didnt think it was too fast.

whats best suspention set up to help limit the back comin round,i know loads of people who have written off theirs. is it lower at front best set up???

Octavia VRS

Quote: Originally posted by Adamf on 29 November 2004

Are you just driving a non sporty Clio too fast?
I wish some people could read :confused:

If I thought that I had been going too fast I would have put it down to driver error and not have posted this message asking if anyone else had encountered the same thing happening for no obvious reason and if anyone had any ideas on why it had happened