ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Back in a Clio

Renault Clio 172 Cup
Hi

Just bought a 172 Cup, picked it up yesterday from a very nice guy that has owned it for 10 years and kept it garaged. It's only done 66,000 miles and is in really good condition apart from the wheels and a couple of minor bumper scuffs. It's also completely unmodified except for a stainless steel backbox (he was fed up with replacing the OEM mild steel rot box) and some quite excessive and un Cup like ICE (I think the sub woofer in the boot singularly negates the 89kg weight saving).

It has never had the cambelt changed though :eek:, so I've booked it in with RenTech in Portsmouth on Tuesday to have all belts, a full mechanical check over and a 36K service done (£595 all in). I got a quote from Renault 'Lifestyle' in Brighton just for a laugh - £799 for the cambelt, £300 for the dephaser and £254 for the service, I didn't bother to tell him that was more than I paid for the car, I just politely told him I'd call him back if my brain fell out my left ear.

I owned a 182 Trophy back in 2005/2006 and absolutely loved it, I was a moderator on the forum for a couple of years (Steve). I actually looked at buying it back so looked it up on the ClioTrophy Register (No.298/500) and found out that it had been exported to France and then totally and utterly destroyed by an accident scene leaving sockpuppet in a BMW Z4 near Paris:

http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?681571-Trophy-298-500-in-France
http://www.cliors-concept.com/t43549-94-RS3-TROPHY-298-500.htm?start=40 (Not safe if you're squeamish)

Finding out that XOG was dead and also wanting to try a 172 Cup (I always loved the fact they were the lightest of the lot and looked so good in blue), I started looking for a Cup on Wednesday, saw the advert for one 4 miles away, went to see it the same day, bought it yesterday.

Now I've made my first post I can PM Snappy about getting the steering wheel re-trimmed, as it is truly shagged. I'm also thinking about fitting a couple of Trophy seats or similar as the Cup ones are awful.

Renault Clio 172 Cup
I took the car to RenTech yesterday and had all belts done including dephaser pulley, full service including gearbox oil and spark plugs, and a new injector as they found injector No. 2 was causing a misfire and the cause of emissions warning light, all for £700. Great value and so good to take a car somewhere where they know everything about it. They showed me the old dephaser pulley, it was the original and had a crack in it and about ready to explode so I'm very glad it's all done now.

There was a nice looking Iceberg Silver 182 with a Nurburgring sticker on the boot when I dropped mine off and a very shiny Liquid Yellow 182 on the ramps when I picked it up.

I hadn't been able to drive the car properly since buying it as I was too worried about the overdue cambelt, but had great fun on the way home, certainly doesn't seem down on power from what I remember of the Trophy. It skips around a bit more than the Trophy, suspension actually seems harder, and the seats are abysmal, a soggy depression right where you need lumbar support, but I love the lack of air con, ABS and TC. Makes it more of an old school hot hatch, more my cup of tea.

Anybody selling some Trophy Recaros?