ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Back in a cup!!!

172 CUP
A few years back, I brought a 172 Cup off a mate and signed up here. Only kept it for a few months until our little girl was born when it was deemed too small for the buggy (even though she had a Scenic!). I was a bit gutted as it was immaculate and only had 50k under its belt.

Any way, picked this up for under a grand yesterday (found a £1 coin under the seat so it cost me £999) very straight body wise and all seems solid mechanically too - which was a surprise. Standard other than a stealth S/S exhaust and a wierd induction kit. May keep the exhaust as its not too loud and I'm aiming to use it for the occasional track day - on the lookout for a standard air box/panel filter.

Niggles are: squeaking on initial startup, Aux belt kit reqd, Steering wheel looks like its been in the oven, Cambelt kit not due for 10k, but needs doing ASAP ready for a trackday

BC38439E-9BB6-497B-B6CC-A02425958785-1520-000002BF97DF074F.jpg
29963907-7786-45A5-B42B-E936B4FA19C6-1520-000002BF9ED39D25.jpg

Last edited:
  2014 Clio 200t edc
Looks really nice. Welcome back to clio ownership. The induction kit isn't the hallowed bucket mod is it??

Maybe a 172 Cup..
Shocking value for money fun! Seen a couple under a grand now, real performance bargain!!

172 CUP
Been quite lucky really. Brought it blind, travelled 4 hrs on the train and a 3 1/2 hr drive home...as said above, it's almost spotless and other than belts, really needs nothing doing.

Plan is to keep it near standard, bar maybe the exhaust and some suspension. I do 14000 miles a year so will see how it runs as a daily with the odd trackday. Averaging 39 mpg at the moment which is great considering I've not nursed it...

Managed to grab another set of wheels and tyres for trackdays

Any recommendations on a trustworthy place to get the belts done - tip ex free??? I'm in the midlands near Wolves

Nice buy, I absolutely love that colour!

They are fairly economical for a 2L, I'm surprised at how little juice my 182 drinks even when on that particular drive, my right foot feels kinda heavy.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Lovley mate! I brought my Exclusive back in April for £800 but also found £4 under the seat lol, budgie cheap!

Last edited:
  Suzuki Jimny
f**k me!

I bought my 172 cup for £4k and it was a shed, spent a few grand on it to get it tidy. Can't believe they are so cheap now :(

172 CUP
Cheers.

Booked in at BTMperformance in brum tomorrow for belts/Dephaser. Might start a mini project thread...lots of bits to do to Make it my own, whilst keeping it looking and sounding near standard.

Last edited:
  clio 172 cup
nice car mate! I have a cup aswell but whatever u do don't change the wheels. my brother had mine before I swapped him for my corsa and he put normal 172 wheels on it and tey are no where near as nice as cup wheels. looks like a really good buy

172 CUP
No danger of that - I think the Turini's are probably one of the best standard wheels out there. Collected some standard 172 wheels yesterday for track tyres though!

172 CUP
Cars been at BTM Today, still there - been a nightmare...A cambelts turned into a head off job, but should have it back tomorrow - Fred's worked his socks off...

Loads of bits pointed out that need sorting.

Turns out he Aux belt was routed incorrectly meaning it was rubbing the cambelt housing which may have been the squeeking

Also, as thought, the timing was was out, belt tension was slack and the tensioner was set incorrectly...

172 CUP
Other than the belt issues above, rear pad carriers were on the wrong sides and the inlet/throttle body were dirty. Couple of ball joints have a little play too.