ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

bad mpg 1.2 16v

1.2 8v 60bhp
Hello, I hav got a 1.2 16v, just bought it, 05 , 37000 miles on it. and 10 pound of petrol gets me 35miles? :S:S

Ive tried all different brands of petrol, and this is what it averages out as...

can someone help?

Thats not good mate, my Ph1 172 got me 355 miles out of £50 town driving and just 50 of that on the motorway.

First thing to do is check for an actual fuel leak underneath and under the bonnet.

Doing it in the dark sounds like a bad idea but it isnt, if you use an LED torch, fuel leaking will have a gloss type effect to it and shine in the dark when lit. (not with a match lol)

Yodi

Alex H

ClioSport Club Member
Hello, I hav got a 1.2 16v, just bought it, 05 , 37000 miles on it. and 10 pound of petrol gets me 35miles? :S:S

Ive tried all different brands of petrol, and this is what it averages out as...

can someone help?

Been serviced recently? Change the oil, check the tyre pressures and tracking. What's your MPG? Sounds like it's around 15? That's bad even for an RS!!

Does also depend on the type of driving you're doing.

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Brakes binding ? Handbrake left on !? Lambda sensor fooked ? Tyres flat ? Do you ever get out of 2nd gear !? Do you tow a caravan full of lead whilst not getting out of 2nd gear ?

Something's not right...

p@blo

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio/A3

can someone help?

16mpg-wtf?! :S

Something isn't right there. 197 lump under the bonnet? :rasp:

Mk5 golf gti
are u actually running it bk down to empty as in it cuts out when u say u only get 35 miles or do u mean ur fuel needle has gone bk down to low.because if your only puttin a tenner in at a time it will seem as tho the needle is goin down quicker.if that makes sense.i always found that anyway.run it till empty an ave a spare can in the boot to see how many miles ur really gettin.if not its gotta be leakin lol

Alastair.

ClioSport Club Member
  986'S 172ph1+182FF
£10 isnt fuk all, its like 8 litres or sumin now. my old 1.2 had a fooked fuel pump and i was getting around 15mpg, due to it doubling its pressure, was fine after that until the temp sensor went which also caused s**t mpg.

ValverInBits
Brakes binding ? Handbrake left on !? Lambda sensor fooked ? Tyres flat ? Do you ever get out of 2nd gear !? Do you tow a caravan full of lead whilst not getting out of 2nd gear ?

Something's not right...
lol
all of those. Is it getting up to temperature?

ITB'd MK1
working on one at the moment, screwed upper loom, knackered lambda sensor, disintegrated cat (mostly deposited in the backbox) and a nice manifold gasket leak. f**king 1.2s

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
different brands of petrol wont realistically make a difference.. maybe, going from the roughest of ghetto fuel, to the highest premium you can find, 2-3% better MPG presuming identical driving conditions.

Do you warm the car up idling for 5 mins, then drive 500m to work ? what sort of driving gives you ~16mpg ?

fuel pump could to be a good call ... double pressure tho ? WTF !

tenner at a time ? really ?! fill it up to the brim. properly full .. then wait til the red light comes on .. (by the sounds of it, this wont take more than about a days driving lol) then fill it to the brim again .. work out your actual MPG from a full tank.

If it's approaching single figures still, then get it to a trustworthy garage ASAP.