ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Ball-Joint Bolt Query

Akay

ClioSport Club Member
  Clubman Cooper S
Hi all,

I recently fitted some Lemforder ball joints to my 182 FF. It was pointed out to me by Fred when I had my bushes fitted that the bolt was moving around in the hole (shiny metal on the washer), and that the OE bolt was needed to stop this.

Does anyone know the size? I think its M12 but not sure on the length or nut size. I know they are fine threaded as well.

davo172

ClioSport Club Member
  TCR'd 172
You have ball joints from std clio with the 10mm bolts all 1*2 ball joints are m12, Thread Pitch does not matter as long as you fit Nyloks. holes in ball joints will be wrong too You probly have about 3mm play in holes at the minute.
Your tracking will probly be way out too .

Akay

ClioSport Club Member
  Clubman Cooper S
Yeah, sounds about right. Will the joint itself be ok? Just need new bolts then?

So I need M12 nyloks, what length and head do you know?

And Im waiting to sort the tracking when I sort this.

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
balljoints come with new bolts. If you've got 10mm bolts that came with the balljoint then it's the wrong joint.

Akay

ClioSport Club Member
  Clubman Cooper S
Yeah, it came with bolts. I dont think its THAT bad that its 2mm smaller though, they seemed tight enough when I originally fitted them and Fred took them off and refitted them the other day and said its just the aftermarket bolts that tend to have a worse tolerance, but the joint itself seems to be the right one?

EDIT: The balljoint removed was identical to the replacement as well.

Last edited:

davo172

ClioSport Club Member
  TCR'd 172
Yeah, it came with bolts. I dont think its THAT bad that its 2mm smaller though, they seemed tight enough when I originally fitted them and Fred took them off and refitted them the other day and said its just the aftermarket bolts that tend to have a worse tolerance, but the joint itself seems to be the right one?

Its not the tolerance on aftermarket bolts they are 10mm bolts They should be 12mm They arnt goin to be 2mm wrong on tolerance .
if you get the right balljoint they are 12mm bolts, as Danny said you have wrong balljoints you have 10mm bolts going into a 12.5 13mm hole not good .

Rob

ClioSport Moderator

EDIT: The balljoint removed was identical to the replacement as well.

Do NOT use 10mm bolts.

The 2mm hole difference means that after a while of braking and accelerating they slowly work loose and start to knock.

The 12mm option fills the hole perfectly and doesn't have this issue.

The balljoints ARE exactly the same, but the small bolt holes in the joint, and smaller bolts, mean that the 12mm holes in the hub itself are too large. Trust me.

Akay

ClioSport Club Member
  Clubman Cooper S
Thanks for the replies. So whats the solution? Get some 12mm bolts?

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
personally I keep the original bolts on rather than changing them, but that's more to do with one being captive in the arm and knocking this out to replace with a non captive would be silly.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator

No.

If you do that, you'd have to drill the holes on your balljoint.

Get some 12mm balljoints, it'll come with new 12mm bolts etc.

When you go into a motorfactors to order the part, I'm 898% sure they'll say "is it the 10mm or 12mm mate?"

Akay

ClioSport Club Member
  Clubman Cooper S
Yeah, I dont have the original bolt, the captive one is still there, I replaced the removable one thinking it made sense to do so! Oops.

Do you know the dims of the OE ones? Dont have any kicking about do you?

davo172

ClioSport Club Member
  TCR'd 172

I would get new ball joints with 12mm bolts and check that the holes in the arms have not egged out also (they probly have)
And as Rob said because you have wrong ball joints holes in them will be 10.5 so you wont be able to get 12mm bolts in anyway without opening them up and this is NOT worth doing.

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
No.

If you do that, you'd have to drill the holes on your balljoint.

Get some 12mm balljoints, it'll come with new 12mm bolts etc.

When you go into a motorfactors to order the part, I'm 898% sure they'll say "is it the 10mm or 12mm mate?"

I would get new ball joints with 12mm bolts and check that the holes in the arms have not egged out also (they probly have)
And as Rob said because you have wrong ball joints holes in them will be 10.5 so you wont be able to get 12mm bolts in anyway without opening them up and this is NOT worth doing.

I think we've established he has the right joints ;) keep up Edit: Sorry I just couldn't be dealing with a load of text.

I don't have any bolts, no, as i don't remove them

Last edited by a moderator:

Akay

ClioSport Club Member
  Clubman Cooper S
Any chance you can get tell me the dims on the 12mm bolt so I can order a pair?

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
I might have some in my garage. Let me have a look tonight. How much money are you really going to save over just ordering a whole new set of the right things for £25 for the pair!!!!

Akay

ClioSport Club Member
  Clubman Cooper S
Well I thought I ordered the right ones last time so I'd rather just source some oe bolts :)

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
I might have some in my garage. Let me have a look tonight. How much money are you really going to save over just ordering a whole new set of the right things for £25 for the pair!!!!

lol, dude, read the thread (moderator....lol). he did that and fitted the new bolts and they're wrong

Akay

ClioSport Club Member
  Clubman Cooper S
Yeah, the joint is identical to the one I took off, but the bolt seems to be the wrong sort.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
But can't he just get a new set where the bolts are right? Surely this is easy!!!

Alternatively, get some m12, 17/18/19mm (can't remember the head size) headed bolts and some nylock nuts for underneath.

I've read now... I'll see if I've got the bolts lying around like I think I have.

As for length, measure one of your 10mm bolts.

Let me just clear this up quickly, you have balljoints with 12mm holes in them yes?

But 10mm bolts somehow?

How did you even end up in this situation? I can't see anyone supplying a 12mm balljoint with 10mm bolts!

Last edited:

Akay

ClioSport Club Member
  Clubman Cooper S
Yeah, if needs be I will just buy a new set but obviously Id rather source the bolts seperately as I could end up with the same situation.

Thanks for all the help by the way guys.

Akay

ClioSport Club Member
  Clubman Cooper S

Let me just clear this up quickly, you have balljoints with 12mm holes in them yes?

But 10mm bolts somehow?

How did you even end up in this situation? I can't see anyone supplying a 12mm balljoint with 10mm bolts!

Yes, the balljoints themselves are fine, the bolts I was supplied arent the right ones and are moving about. I dont think there 10mm though but could be. Fred said that the aftermarket BJ bolts tend to work loose so best to use the OE ones, which I dont have.