ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Banned Xbox

SC03OTT

ClioSport Club Member
  Octavia vRS
No it wouldn't. I would not be pissing and moaning at Microsoft for a start, I'd have had the thing right back down to the shop asking for my money back, or another console. I can't understand why you have not done that.

i dont but grainger test all xboxes before selling on

I doubt they test if it is a modified xbox. You need to be taking it up with the shop to be honest. The xbox you bought isn't fit for its purpose. If the store isn't being helpful then go to their head office.

Whatever you do though, don't swear at them :) You won't get anywhere if you start f'ing and blinding at them.

182 cup Inferno
yes i know that think you lot have drilled that into my head lol but grainger are adiment they not going to do anything as it is over 3 months ago since i got it off them

I reckon you're completely out of luck then. The shop will just say you've had it three months and could easily have modded it and then set it back to the original. Lesson learned the hard way :(

Never above 25mpg
Phoned microsoft today told them the problem but said nothing they can do so gave them a peice of my mind with a few swear words to also told them i getting rid of all 3 xboxes and getting ps3s

Hai Customer Services ;)

It's not their fault your xbox was buggered was it?

Unlucky.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
I think the idea of banning people is ridiculous anyway if I'm honest. If they REALLY want to, xbox should ban people at one point only, when caught online, playing a copied game, not just because there is certain software on the consol.

There are too many people like the OP out there and others in even worse case scenarios.

I work with a guy who is in his 40's, bought his xbox from argos, got banned the day MW2 came out, he has no idea what a "modded" consol is and no one else has touched it.

Xbox banned so many people that day I honestly believe they got a lot wrong and if there is a chance they are even going to get one wrong they shouldnt be banning people full stop.

172mk2 - flame
yes i know that think you lot have drilled that into my head lol but grainger are adiment they not going to do anything as it is over 3 months ago since i got it off them

Doesnt matter if its 3 months implied terms mean it has to be fit for purpose which it clearly isnt.

Have you got proof of purchase still? Does it contain some terms and conditions?

They will just say you modded it... but would be interested to see what their terms and conditions said.

172mk2 - flame
It would appear the presumption under s14 of the act is if a fault develops within 6 months of purchase, it is presumed it was present at the time of purchase...

I think the idea of banning people is ridiculous anyway if I'm honest. If they REALLY want to, xbox should ban people at one point only, when caught online, playing a copied game, not just because there is certain software on the consol.

There are too many people like the OP out there and others in even worse case scenarios.

I work with a guy who is in his 40's, bought his xbox from argos, got banned the day MW2 came out, he has no idea what a "modded" consol is and no one else has touched it.

Xbox banned so many people that day I honestly believe they got a lot wrong and if there is a chance they are even going to get one wrong they shouldnt be banning people full stop.

They didn't get a lot wrong, a few people were originally banned for playing the game early as they thought they were playing the leaked copy. MS even admitted that if they can prove they bought it and had the receipt they would unban people (just like what they did with Forza). Has the guy you worked with even bothered contacting Microsoft support?

I don't think there is anything wrong with banning people from Live with modded consoles. People know the risk when they mod it, they know they are breaking the law doing it. They should suffer the consequences when they get caught.

182 cup Inferno
yes but is everyone who is bieng banned got a modded console i dont think so i agree that yes if they have modded their console in any way they should be banned but surley the softwere they are using to catch these people cant be 100% accurate

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
yes but is everyone who is bieng banned got a modded console i dont think so i agree that yes if they have modded their console in any way they should be banned but surley the softwere they are using to catch these people cant be 100% accurate

But it is accurate for 99% of the time and to be fair, that's the best its ever going to be.

I know how you feel about getting blamed for something you didn't do, though. Going back donkey's years ago when I knew jack about PCs, I had a processor upgrade done within the 12-months warranty period. I even got an engineer from the main dealer I bought the PC from to come out and install it for me. He almost walked away because he said the heads of the case screws looked 'chewed up' so that I must have been meddling with it at some point.

I went livid and he changed it anyway. And once I'd seen myself how quickly the little piss-ant changed the CPU, that made me switch to doing all my own changes from then on!

Unfortunately, I think you're shafted in this instance. Unless the shop backs down, I think you'll be looking at buying a new 360. :(

D.

If you read my comment further up in the thread you will see how they can tell who has modded firmware and who hasn't. That is how they are finding out who has modded firmware. So yes, it is accurate.

Scirocco 2.0 tsi
Way i see it is this.

You bought a second hand console, as with any second hand goods whether its cars or consoles, there are risks. You should have evaluated these risks and decided if they outweighed the benefits (in this case, a saving of what, 30 quid or something?)

Your actions suggest you did not do this, you just bought it without giving it any thought, and didn't test it properly when you got it. (would you buy a car without test driving it?!) its common sense really.

It is not microsofts fault that you were a bit stupid tbh is it? So swearing down the phone at them does nothing but make you look like a bellend. How many people with banned consoles do you think microsoft get ringing up pleading ignorance like they don't know anything about it? not to say your one of those but that is why they can't do anything, the fact remains that even though it wasn't you, the xbox has either been modified or opened in which case the warranty was voided before you even purchased it so xbox are being perfectly reasonable by saying they can't do anything about it.

Its easy to say oh if you lot were in my shoes you'd be pissed off too, which is of course true, but i suspect many of us on here would have had the brains to test it out properly when we bought it instead of leaving it until its out of warranty. If you bought a new car, you wouldn't go and leave it in a garage for 3 years till the warranty runs out, go and drive it to find that x/y/z don't work, then take it back and say oh the warranties run out on this but can you give me a new one anyway as i've only just bothered testing it?

monaco blue 172 ..
why would he test it with a copied game if its for his 11 year old daughter who isnt even probably bothered about going on xbox live ???
surely its the shop he bought it from who should test them before they sell them on!!! so really its them who are breaking the law by selling modded consoles ??? warrenty or not ! rant over!

Scirocco 2.0 tsi
why would he test it with a copied game if its for his 11 year old daughter who isnt even probably bothered about going on xbox live ???
surely its the shop he bought it from who should test them before they sell them on!!! so really its them who are breaking the law by selling modded consoles ??? warrenty or not ! rant over!

Who said anything about copied games? Testing it works on xbox live, one of the main reasons most people own an xbox in the first place is a must imo.

182 cup Inferno
think i might just do that mate but i am going to try and get my hands on a copy just to see if it does play them

dk

911 GTS Cab
Who said anything about copied games? Testing it works on xbox live, one of the main reasons most people own an xbox in the first place is a must imo.
what are you on about, who said it hadn't been used online before it got banned?????

and even if he had, it would have worked as they didn't ban people until 2 weeks ago!!!!

And a copied game may not still have worked as the firmware may have been put back to the original, something a friend of mine did and he still had his console banned!

you really need to think about what you are saying.

182 cup Inferno
Well today managed to get hold of a copy put it into xbox and guess wat it dont play them

FTO GPX 2.0 V6
It is not just modded ones that get banned, I know people who have had the RROD problem, sent the console back to Microsoft and then recently been banned from live for having a modded console. It appears what when they do whatever they have to do to fix it, it now makes it look modified and people are getting banned from Live, they are also getting no help when they call Microsoft.

It could be the one you have bought 2nd hand may have had the RROD fixed before selling.

Perrinho

ClioSport Club Member
she did have but was a while back

So youre saying the xbox must have been banned on XBL prior to you purchasing as this was the first time you had taken it online...but your daughter (who owns the console) had taken it online previously? Surely, if it was banned prior to you purchasing it, when your daughter initially tried to sign it you would have noticed a lot sooner, suggesting you in fact have modded it yourself, and are now asking on here if there is a way around it??

Case closed...

Many reasons how/why MassiveSoft are detecting consoles. All the below is speculation as nothing has been officially announced (why would they?)

CD Drive unplugged then booting immediately rasies suspicion (which is what people generaslly do if they want to flash the drive) Personally I use a CK3 kit.

People playing games early - I mean come on youre making it easy for them! How hard would it be for MS to log onto pirate bay and put up a torrent of a game a week early, people download it and as soon as its played BANG. Bad rips also although this is less of a problem with the tools/information available on the WWW

From what I can tell from researching MS can't actually detect the firmware but it will provide a dodgy response when challenged. I suspect this happens when a dashboard/console update is performed as I have seen test results which would back this point up.

To the OP, I suspect the console has been flagged sometime ago, did you perform an update the day or a few days before it happened? Best bet is to whack it on ebay mate, will sell and for more than you think. I'm still looking for an offline console as I'm not sure the LT firmware will be all that but we shall wait and see! So far I have been lucky but then again I am extremely careful

182 cup Inferno
So youre saying the xbox must have been banned on XBL prior to you purchasing as this was the first time you had taken it online...but your daughter (who owns the console) had taken it online previously? Surely, if it was banned prior to you purchasing it, when your daughter initially tried to sign it you would have noticed a lot sooner, suggesting you in fact have modded it yourself, and are now asking on here if there is a way around it??

Case closed...
No it wasnt banned prior to purchase she has played online with it but once her membership ran out she didnt bother renewing it so then when mine got the 3 red rings i thought i would use hers whent to set it up and it would not connect tested connection still no joy tried again and message came up saying it was banned and no i did not modify it you would have know this if you had read all the posts

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you thought about trading the banned console in? Take it to a different branch of the shop you bought it from - So they still get the fu**er back.