ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Bargain Performance Meter (Under £40!)

Have seen this link posted on a couple of websites, so I looked about (in catalogues etc) and read a bit about this device:

http://www.saxforte.com/data/gtechpro/gtechpro_small_orange.jpg
http://www.saxforte.com/data/gtechpro/gtech_home/gtech_home.htmlhttp://www.saxforte.com/data/gtechpro/gtech_home/gtech_home.htmlhttp://www.saxforte.com/data/gtechpro/What_Can_It_Do_/what_can_it_do_.html

It retails in the 2004 Demon Tweeks catalogue at £158.80

I picked it up for just over £38 delivered.

It can do:

0 - 60 mph time
60 - 0 braking distance
Standing 1/4 mile and terminal speed
Max braking and cornering force
Horsepower @ Wheels (after inputting weight)
I know its not going to give deadly accurate figures, its just a bit of fun really.. and something that I can use to see how effective mods have been.
Even if its inaccurate, as long as its consistant (which it seems to be from reports) its good enough for my needs.

Reports on other sites seem to suggest its fairly accurate for timings too.. first chance I get Ill take mine up the strip to compare it to "real" timings though, see how it does.

Anyone who decides to take the plunge let me know, be interesting to compare times!

2008 Golf GTI Edition 30

Yup, I had mine delivered a few days ago.

Only tried it in teh wet so far tho, got 7.74 and 7.85 with traction control off with loads of wheel spin on teh wet roads.

2008 Golf GTI Edition 30

Quote: Originally posted by telford_mike on 19 April 2004
So we could use this for a 1/4 mile competition on an airfield strip yes??

Yup, exactly :)

I went out and tested my unit and a m8s unit yesterday, before the heathrow meet, and even on the wet roads, the two units were very close.

This would allow, HP guestimates, close enough to get a good idea about mod increases etc, before a trip to a RR etc.

These look very good. Did you order them from the link above ?

What delivery method did you choose ? AIR MAIL with Optional Insurance ? How long did it take to arrive ?

Any problems with customs charges ?

Cracking price that, may well chuck my name down for one now.

Padso

ClioSport Club Member
  Merc

You can get these ordered from America for around that sort of money or if you order two at once and split the shipping costs it works out at £30 / meter.

Check on www.ebay.com for the guy retailing them.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

Ok everyone might want to calm down.

They are fun toys but they are by no means any good at measuring anything.

How do you figure that out Tom ? On the Overclockers forum a guy did a quarter mile run down Santa Pod, the offical time was 19.8 and the gtechpro timed it at 19.85 !

It is only a bit of fun yes but how can you say it doesnt measure anything ? What is the point of it all then ?

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

Point? you tell me?

I use a vbox at work for my timing, but i need accurate timing.

Even santapods timing gear is out compared to a vbox.

But if you really think that £40 is gonna get you spot on measurements then fine buy them.

Maybe im being anal but ah well. Go spend £40 on a nice meal.

Nippy white cup

Quote: Originally posted by riplash on 19 April 2004

I know its not going to give deadly accurate figures, its just a bit of fun really.. and something that I can use to see how effective mods have been.
Even if its inaccurate, as long as its consistant (which it seems to be from reports) its good enough for my needs.
Yeah I can see he expects 100% accuracy!

Chris

2005 Audi A3 3.2 Quattro

Its accurate enough for our purposes.

Ive got an AP22 and its consistantly accurate to within 0.02s and 1km/h of the timing gear at Wesbank Raceway

Quote: Originally posted by viceroy on 19 April 2004

Its accurate enough for our purposes.

Ive got an AP22 and its consistantly accurate to within 0.02s and 1km/h of the timing gear at Wesbank Raceway
EXACTLY ! I am not expecting 100% times but it is better than filming it and timing it with a stopwatch eh !

:D

At the end of the day it is £40 for a bit of fun and something that will give you a rough idea of times.

Mr2 Roadster

I timed my lap of the M25 on my VCR at home.

When I got home I divaided the distance by the time and worked out I would have completed the quater mile in 8.5 seconds.

That is fact.

If you dont like it we can get the VCR calibrated by JVC and measure the M25 just to confirm.

172, Tiguan

my figures are from my trusty casio:

speedo gets to 60

hand comes off steering wheel

fumbles for stop button

presses a short time after.

Now thats accurate timing for only £9.99.

:D

How can you get around customs charges ? I am looking to get one of these off eBay but I want to get around the extra charge if possible.

If it is marked as a gift will I still be charged ?

Padso

ClioSport Club Member
  Merc

Get the guy to mark it as a sample or gift etc, but i doubt the customs will chase you for the fees on £30 tbh.

The accuracy of the G Tech will also be dependent upon your inputting the correct weight of your car, so you have to take into consideration the level of fuel you have, passengers etc etc.

The more accurate the information you feed into the GTech the more accurate the results will be. But anyone expecting accurate precise timings etc its only £40 so you get waht you pay for to some extent.

2008 Golf GTI Edition 30

TomClio182 seems very uptight about it, at the end of the day, its a better way than stopwatchs.

If everyone were to compare a G-Tech time, then at least its even across the board etc.

Im not saying rely on it 100%, but if you did a HorsePower test and the went to the RR then at least youd have a fair idea of what to expect from the RR. Like I showed earlier, take a look at the overclockers.co.uk forums and youll see they are happy with them, using them on VX220Turbos, S2000s, scoobys so a wide range of cars.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

Quote: Originally posted by CocoPops on 19 April 2004

TomClio182 seems very uptight about it, at the end of the day, its a better way than stopwatchs.
Not at all. im just saying i wouldnt by it.

Just because i dont think its anygood it does not mean im uptight.

Its a discussion forum mate.

Quote: Originally posted by Tomclio182 on 19 April 2004

Lol did you read my first post Tom... really read it?

I dont care how accurate it is - as long as its consistant (which it seems to be)

Fair enough you wouldnt buy one, but some people have purchased an AP22 for a lot more money, that is essentially the same device repackaged.

Quote: Originally posted by paddymcc on 19 April 2004

Get the guy to mark it as a sample or gift etc, but i doubt the customs will chase you for the fees on £30 tbh.

The accuracy of the G Tech will also be dependent upon your inputting the correct weight of your car, so you have to take into consideration the level of fuel you have, passengers etc etc.

The more accurate the information you feed into the GTech the more accurate the results will be. But anyone expecting accurate precise timings etc its only £40 so you get waht you pay for to some extent.
paddy, it seems people are being charged £8 on top for customs charges but some people seem to be getting away with it.

riplash, did you choose the insured delivery service ? Will you get away with the customs charges ?

I chose insured postage yeah... just going to see what happens with regard to Customs charges..

Its like anything sent from the states though, you either get away with it or you dont.. Its not the end of the world if I dont though!

Not at all, spoke to CocoPops and he said that it seemed people who took out the insurance were getting charged and the people who didnt were not.

Tempted to order one of these up soon as people seem to like what they see when they have bought them.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

Quote: Originally posted by riplash on 19 April 2004

Quote: Originally posted by Tomclio182 on 19 April 2004

Lol did you read my first post Tom... really read it?

I dont care how accurate it is - as long as its consistant (which it seems to be)

Fair enough you wouldnt buy one, but some people have purchased an AP22 for a lot more money, that is essentially the same device repackaged.

Yeah i read it, i just thought i would comment on what i thought about it. sorry if ive bugged anyone.

Audi S3 225

I want one as well, which option should i choose????? airmail or ups express worlwide???

plus how long will delivery take, i bet its proper long...?

Read the site Jonesy, UPS is more expensive but quicker and Airmail is cheaper and takes longer.

The majority of people would go for Airmail I reckon.

Bumder With A Buffer

WHENEVA I ORDER STUFF FROM AMERICA IT USUALLY COMES WITHIN A WEEK. pLUS LIKE RIPLASH SAID, THE CUSTOMS CHARGE U EITHER GET AWAY WITH OR U DONT! I GOT A DVD PLAYER AND SCREEN WHICH WAS MARKED UP AS BEING WORTH 190 ODD QUID AND I DIDNT PAY ANY CUSTOMS CHARGE, YET I GOT SOMETHING FROM THERE WORTH 15 QUID AND GOT CHARGED SOMETYHING LIKE 1.70 FOR CUSTOMS CHARGE!!! SILLY!!

Audi S3 225

Quote: Originally posted by Daipac on 19 April 2004

Read the site Jonesy, UPS is more expensive but quicker and Airmail is cheaper and takes longer.

The majority of people would go for Airmail I reckon.

cheers m8, i read it and ordered it on airmail with insurance. Ive been reading the other forum, and they all seem to take around 10 days delivery, thats fine with me, cant wait to laugh at my 0-60 times, muhahahahaha.