ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Battery Issues...

Clio 172 Replica
My brother has very recently bought a 182. After a few days of owning the car the battery went flat.
It was taken into the garage and whilst a few other bits and bobs were happening they changed the battery.
Worked great for a week...

Stood still for over 12 hours.... worked fine
Went on a 10 mile drive and then stood still for 4 hours... dead as a dodo...

Im no expert on this can anyone shed some light?
Thanks

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
Either the battery is past it's best, the alternator is faulty or something is drawing power.

First check, with the car running, what is the voltage across the battery?

Clio 172 Replica
The battery is brand new... and the old battery drained aswell so its defo not that.

How do i check the voltage across the battery?

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
Have you got a multimeter?

IF not find someone with one, or buy one as they are dead handy!

Clio 172 Replica
I could possibly get hold of one. How do they work.... Do they iliminate problems? Distinguish what the problem is?

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
Basically measure current, voltage and resistance. They have different settings depending on what you are measuring and the range. You should probably get someone to show you how to use it if you are not sure.

Clio Sport 172 Ph2
Well as you say its a new battery..... you now need to look at a possible charging issue...... or a draining issue when the cars stood. As said check the voltage across the battery terminals when the engines running.... should be about 14.4 volts. Also.... ive had alternators where they will charge..... but when a load is placed on it, by switching the headlights on, rear heated window, heater blowers......the regulator in the alternator fails to maintain the voltage & starts dropping & dropping, then the battery's not being charged whilst driving, so on the next start up..... Dead!! You need to get checking dude to find the cause :)

Clio 172 Replica
Yeah true. if the reader doesnt read 14.4... will it be higher if something is draining it or lower? Im guessing if it is 14.4 then its the altornator

SQ5
If its 14.4 your alternator is working could be between 14.0 and 14.4.

I'd check your battery terminals for corrosion and the man earth for any breakages,