ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Battery Light

03 Clio 1.6 16v Dynamique
Hey guys,

The last week the battery light has been staying on until the engine is started, so on ignition startup I await all the lights to disappear, and the only one that is left with the handbrake light is the battery light.

Yesterday morning I started the car and it did the same, and the engine was very stuttery and almost died straight away, 3 or 4 seconds after startup, it only didn't do so cause I held the revs at around 2k to keep it stable for around 10 seconds, then i laid off and it seemed fine again. It then idled at around 1k revs as it usually would on a coldish morning.

Just really want to know if thats right that the battery light should stay on until the engine is turned over, I.E. is it meant to be constantly on during the ignition?

The only other noticable change in behaviour is that a random red light has appeared on my after market Alpine head unit for around the same period. I've left the head unit off for the last 3 short drives, and nothing changed.
Is this going to lead to a dead battery or electric problems?

Thanks,

Pete.

Golf TDI
i thought that the light with the picture of a battery on it is meant to go off , once the car starts ! ? mine does .

lol so basically its normal, and I've never noticed something that's pretty elementry ;)?

Ok, thanks fellas :)

The spluttery engine happens ever so occasionally, usually when I’m very low on fuel so that probably explains that one too.
I make a point of pushing the accelerator to the gas for about 5 seconds or so before starting in those situations, and it usually guarantees a nice startup.

The spluttery engine happens ever so occasionally, usually when I’m very low on fuel so that probably explains that one too.
I make a point of pushing the accelerator to the gas for about 5 seconds or so before starting in those situations, and it usually guarantees a nice startup.

You shouldnt need to press the throttle at all

Get the battery checked for power car shoulnd't idle at 1k though it could be low power as when it low rpm is increased at idle also check the coolent temp sensor and Tdc sensor

You shouldnt need to press the throttle at all

Indeed, but it's not consistent and it works should it occur.
It gets a lot of short journeys just being moved from the driveway onto the road, as the old man will move it to get his car out around once a day. Not sure if it doesn/'t enjoy the consistent stop starts?