ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Battery smoking

Clio rs200
I have a clio 197 rs , the battery is smoking and stinks of rotten eggs is this being over charged by the alternator ???new alternator and battery???

Attachments

• 4AFF2BDE-CFE4-4B0D-A81B-AFB9E43D07BD.jpeg
    4AFF2BDE-CFE4-4B0D-A81B-AFB9E43D07BD.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 62

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
Sounds pretty bad, you'll wanna try check over the electrical system as well, see if anything is obviously burnt, melted or damaged.

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
I'd probably remove the battery as I'm pretty certain it's not supposed to do that and if it's going to spontaneously combust I'm sure you wouldn't want it to do so in the car.
What do you mean you're 'pretty certain' :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Clio_fool is 100% certain that your battery should not smoke.

Given this is nearly 12hrs ago now I assume you either removed the battery or your car has been on fire for a while.

Either your alternator is overcharging the battery (failed regulator) or your alternator diode pack has failed so is now a hard short across your battery - these would be my main guesses other than perhaps the main cable to the alternator/starter might have rubbed on something so is now shorting.

Either way, I hope you got the battery off asap. If it is the first option, so the alternator is overcharging you do not want to drive the car at all. Once the battery goes dry there is nothing to keep the alternator output voltage in check - alternators with failed regulators can putout well over 50V at which point every electronic part in your car will be toast.

If its the second or third option turning the engine off won't stop the magic smoke.

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
What do you mean you're 'pretty certain' :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Clio_fool is 100% certain that your battery should not smoke.*
Oh no I'm not!

Health and safety teaches us that prompting those in imminent danger to save themselves rather than instructing them to do so is much safer for when it all goes tits up and the finger of blame rears its ugly blackened fingernail.

*Anything I've said may or may not be utter bolloks. In the event of injury or death anything said by myself should be construed as utter bolloks and is totally unrelated to said injury or death.