ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Battery?

My 182 wouldn't start after work last night, had to get jumped.

Wouldn't start this morning but I only made a short journey from work. Jumped it, got to work fine and switched it off... then back on and it came on again.

I've had a new alternator in the past year.

When I finished work today, it coughed a bit... then started up.

Is my battery on it's last legs or could it be another problem?

Whilst the engine is running yes, I didn't have much time to do proper tests though. Should I be doing it with the engine off too after a run and seeing what voltage it's holding?

I can guarantee it won't start in the morning! So it must definitely be losing charge because if I switch it off after a long run, then on again, it just comes on. If I leave it a bit then it's reluctant to start.

I just wanted to be super sure before splashing out on a new battery.

mk2ph1 rsi 106rallye
check it with the engine running lights on and heated rear window to make sure its charging should be around 13.6-14.2v.
check the battery when its off (put the lights on for about 30sec-min to remove the serface charge) should be 12v -12.2v
get someone to start the engine whilst taking a reading shouldnt drop below 10v.

sounds like a dead cell get it drop tested at a garage is the only way to really test it. make sure the battery is fully charged most garages wont charge you to test it.

2004 1.5 DCi 100
Sounds like a duff battery. Halfrauds will test it and fit a new one in a few minutes, if needed, so no point in faffing around with a dodgy battery :)

aucky

ClioSport Club Member
It needs a proper drop test not just the voltage testing ideally.

It could be on its last legs and the cold weather has highlighted this? I think mine is an original battery and it let me down last winter (at the pub after the chester meet when I left my lights on!) so 9years is a fair innings for a battery. Do you have/can borrow a trickle charger?

Okay - it started this morning, made a trip to Ikea and Trafford Centre and it started fine all those times. Does that suggest that my alternator is fine and is in fact charging the (dying) battery? Is a new battery recommended?