ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Beaniemoo's Euro Saxo project

GavC

ClioSport Club Member
  Black Gold 182FF
Like everyone has said guys, really impressive stuff :D

Its great to see a saxo being brought to new level! This and one other vts I have seen which was white in colour with vts wheels in white and a cage that ive only ever really appreciated!

Keep us posted, I just read this from start to end and its such a great read!

Some of a Clio 1.8 16v
WOW! Cheers for all the comments!

Today I finally got to something that seems like I've been waiting forever to do!
I finally managed to build the engine up (mostly).
To begin with I get the rest of the pistonsand rods in.

IMG_0217.jpg

IMG_0218.jpg

IMG_0219.jpg

Next I built up the rest of the bottom end, oil pump, main seals etc...

IMG_0220.jpg

IMG_0221.jpg

IMG_0222.jpg

Finally with the bottom end most the way there I get the head bolted on

IMG_0223.jpg

Just realized I didn't take any picture of this stage, but next we got the cams and cam ladders sealed up and bolted in.

IMG_0224.jpg

IMG_0226.jpg

Unfortunately I left the dowl that the cam belt tensioner goes onto on the old J4
engine so I couldn't get the belt on and get it timed up but I did get the cam covers on, and trial fit the carbs and coil pack and I think it all looks pretty dam good!

IMG_0227.jpg

IMG_0228.jpg

IMG_0231.jpg

IMG_0233.jpg

IMG_0235.jpg

Few more bits and bobs to sort and hopefully it shouldn't be too long until its in the car and running.

Cheers for looking, just glad to be finally making progress!

Some of a Clio 1.8 16v
So so sorry chaps, we use one photobucket account for both the clio and the saxo and due to the progress being made and veiwed on both cars we've used up all our monthly bandwidth. But if you check back tomorrow it'll be a new month and all the pics will be back to veiw and post about to your hearts content.

Cheers :)

Some of a Clio 1.8 16v
Not a hugely picturey update here, but my Supersprint exhaust manifold arrive today and I got my cambelt on and tensioned so my engine is now finally fully built up

IMG_0241.jpg

IMG_0242.jpg

IMG_0243.jpg

IMG_0244.jpg

IMG_0245.jpg

That leaves my engine spec as follows:

TU5 JP4 engine converted for a Saxo
Gas flowed head with valve guides shaved
Newman Ph4 cams
Wossner high compression pistons
PEC forged rods
Race crank and big end bearings
Lightened by 3.7Kg and balanced crank
Lightened by 1.7Kg and balanced flywheel
Supersprint exhaust manifold
R1 carburettors
Custom modified and flowed Bogg brother inlet manifold

Now just need to drop it in the car

Some of a Clio 1.8 16v
More updates again!
Sorry about all the pictures, I just can't stop taking pictures of my car!
I'm liking this, we're making good progress in the car again!
Not many pictures of us working on the car as it was a bit nerve racking working around the engine bay!
Firstly we bolting the dash as the engine loom is in the dash!
But anyways, the engine is now in and I think it looks amazing!

IMG_0247.jpg

IMG_0248.jpg

IMG_0249.jpg

IMG_0251.jpg

IMG_0256.jpg

Also ot the wings bolted back on and leathered the car off

IMG_0265.jpg

IMG_0264.jpg

IMG_0263.jpg

IMG_0260.jpg

IMG_0267.jpg

That is pretty much everything (bar the front end, rad etc) in the engine bay, wiring is all in and the carbs are piped up!
Hopefully more progress very soon.

j plate 91 449 valver,
looks absolutely epic, the engine bay looks like my kind of heaven, no visible wires. :) i have a question about the flywheel though, as it can be seen in the pics the holes drilled to lighten it dont seem to be the same distance apart in each segment. does this mean that the flywheel originally was not balanced. or have other holes been drilled slightly further out to compensate for this?

172, Tiguan
I can't believe I've never read this thread before. What an absolutly amazing project. The new engine looks great.

Cracking read.

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
carbs are easier to settup

plus you can scare the s**t out of people turning the ignition off whilst rolling in gear then turning the ignition back on .... BANG lol :D

Some of a Clio 1.8 16v
Cheers for all the comments
smiley31.gif

We've been busy again and this time we've finally sorted a couple of things that we've been needing to do for sometime.
Having our other breaking black VTS has helped with supplying some later spec bits.
First thing we did was bolt the front end together using the later spec rad as I prefere the cap. Also got our hidden bonnet cable connected and checked.

IMG_0304.jpg

IMG_0305.jpg

IMG_0306.jpg

Then with that bolted together, we set about mounting the battery, which turned out to be a bit of an arse as the floor wasn't flat where we wanted to mount the battery so we had to cut and plate a section in the floor.
Then with the floor flatterned we made ourselves a battery bracket which we are rather happy with.

IMG_0307.jpg

IMG_0308.jpg

As we had now FINALLY got round to mounting the battery we could at last fit the interior, but the old interior was looking awful, covered in welding burns and stored in a leaky garage so not smelling its best.
So, we decided to use the interior out of our breaking 03 plate VTS.

IMG_0309.jpg

IMG_0310.jpg

IMG_0311.jpg

IMG_0312.jpg

IMG_0313.jpg

IMG_0314.jpg

The car is now showing sme signs of life, although we haven't put the engine earth on yet

IMG_0325.jpg

Then just to make ourselves feel a bit better we clipped the front bumper and grill on to get an idea of how it will look when its finished.

IMG_0329.jpg

IMG_0330.jpg

IMG_0331.jpg

IMG_0319.jpg

IMG_0320.jpg

IMG_0321.jpg

IMG_0322.jpg

Still have a few things left to do but definitely getting there.

panic.gif

Nimbus 197, Ph1 172
Looks great. Exterior not quite to my taste, but I certainly admire the work going into this. I'm gussing you should see upwards of 190bhp with that set-up?

Some of a Clio 1.8 16v
We're back!
Not a huge amount of pics to go with this post as, well I forgot to be honest, but we've been doing a little finishing off this weekend.
As my engine was out of a Peugeot I removed the badge off the coil cover earlier, but today I finally got hold of the replacment badge for the coil cover, and I think it looks amazing.

wol_error.gif
This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 600x800 and weights 56KB.
IMG_0418.jpg

IMG_0419.jpg

Next, we spent a lot of time devising and constructing a bracket to hold the throttle cable beneath the carbs so as to seem invisible, once again not many pics but...

IMG_0420.jpg

Then wew finally got the hose clips on the coolant and induction hoses, filled it with coolant and oil, fitted an engine earth strap and set about a function check.
Here are the videos, sorry about the quality

CLICK ON THE VIDEO'S BELOW
Engine START!!!!:

th_IMG_0422.jpg

Dials, gauges and lights:

th_IMG_0424.jpg

Ancilleries:

th_IMG_0423.jpg

Sill needs mapping and carbs set up, the throttle and clutch cable fitting to the pedal box and the brakes bleeding, but we're getting there!

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
Awesome thread. That engine bay looks the dogs nuts! Cant wait to see the final result. The only thing i'm not keen on is the bonnet raisers but thats just me.

Some of a Clio 1.8 16v
I'm BACK!
I've been very quiet of late as its been the build up to the proof!
The week before last I rang ATSpeed and got my car booked in for the following Thursday to be rolling road set up, so then I rang a recovery firm to get the car down there, who picked it up Wednesday night and delivered it to ATSpeed Thursday!
After a couple of phone calls about problems they were having I decided, this morning to head down Essex to do some of the donkey work required to get it into a condition to be mapped.
The main problem was the way we had got the throttle cable was too difficult to remove (pretty much impossible) meaning the carbs weren't easy to remove meaning they couldn't rejet them.
So I got there this morning, got it all stripped out and with a couple of choice modifications to the bracketry and we were ready to go!
We got the car onto the rollers at about 11 this morning and after about 7 jet changes we finally got a HP figure out of the engine!

3c21181d.jpg

144.7HP at the wheels
104.8 Torques at the wheels

Meaning, about:

175.9HP at the flywheel
127.4 Torques at the flywheel

I have to admit that I have had a brilliant, fun, if very stressful day with some really good lads!
I really couldn't recommend ATSpeed more, as long as you're thick skinned, they utterly know what they are on about and are a good crack to work with to boot!

Also sorry to Mattyvts (I think) it was, for holding him up all day for his second power run!

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Cracking build hopefully the finished product doesn't let the engine bay down. :)

Any choice in wheels yet mate?

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Great work, can't help but think with the outside and engine bay looking so awesome and unique, you could do with some better seats? Maybe something for the future?

Nice power that, too!

Some of a Clio 1.8 16v
Finally, I've been waiting SO long to do this!
With the car set up, and running beautifully we thought it was about time to make the ol' Saxo look purdy again.
So this morning, we got up early, loaded up the derv and followed one another to my work!

First job was to get the tyres on the rims!

Front: 8.5x15 running 185/45 R15
Rear: 9x15 running 195/45 R15

I think the sideswall must have been shaped my already having been stretched as they went on and inflated really easily!?

Brother slaving away to help me out

IMG_0489.jpg

IMG_0490.jpg

Then with them all fitted we wound the coilovers down to the bottom again as we had them up a couple of inches to make it easier to work on!
Also replaced the handbrake cable that snapped when we put it on the recovery truck to get it to be mapped (thank you!)

Next we lowered in down off the ramp and took LOTS of photos!

IMG_0491.jpg

IMG_0494.jpg

IMG_0495.jpg

IMG_0501.jpg

Not much room to get lower as the track rods will hit the inner wings!?

IMG_0500.jpg

...and back to the ASWing lol

IMG_0497.jpg

We've also got my brothers track Clio build nearly finished, so that got in on the action

IMG_0511.jpg

IMG_0516.jpg

IMG_0520.jpg

IMG_0522.jpg

IMG_0524.jpg

IMG_0525.jpg

...and the Derv

IMG_0528.jpg

Starting to realize how few pictures there are of my car all together and looking good so I may have to do a photo shoot soon!

I still can't get over how well my car runs and drive, I really can't thank and recommend Atspeed enough!

Cheers for looking