ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Bent Subframe....D’OH!!!!!!!!!!

This morning I let my former best mate have a go in my Valver, just a quick blast round the block and as fate would have it, he stuffed it into a f**k off big kerb and bent the front LHS subframe. Lucky for him it wasnt really his fault (diesel on road and getting cut up by some t**t in a Nova) or else I would have kicked his arse.

But my poor car is no off the road, again :mad:, so Im borrowing his Nova 1.2 which hes borrowing from his mate (he drives a Mini), until I can get it fixed. But it does mean my 2.0l TB conversion is now full steam ahead :D

Oh well, we live and learn. Then you die and forget it all.

thats painful, not only is your car temporarily screwed, but youve got to drive around in a nova :mad:

at least something good may come from all of this....... 2.0l TB :D

320d M Sport

Id rather take the bus with a load of weirdos than drive Nova..... arrrggghhhh............

Paddy

Well some good news, its just the subframe and my parents are gonna pay for the repairs for my 21st (they think I was driving).

On the Nova front its a 1.2 Fun and I hate to say it but I think its really good for a 1.2. Me and the guy I go road rallying with went for a burn down some country twisties last night and it was really good, obviosly not a patch on a valver or my mates mini cooper, but still good fun. Were even thinking about using it on a few road rallys. I can see why people like the GTE.

Still a Nova though :(

simon, be carefull when u get the subframe off u may find more damage than expected, takes a bit to bend it. check the backsides of the wheels, they may look fine on the outside. mine were dented on the inside. and once the subframe came off i found the top 4 inches of a spring had snapped off. un-noticable from outside. have a good check. just in case.

Did the same in mine, ben J is right there will undoubtedly be more than just a bent subframe.The official line is modern cars are made to deform so as to absorb more of the impact.

I had the added fun that the repairer had lots of problems setting up geometry and had to use cam bolts (no dont know what they are either) so took an age to return. Then few weeks later bearings started to rumble into renault , who replaced oh and by the way your geometry is way out ! Fortunately its fleet so another repairer took it and after a lot of head scratching discovered that - It had the wrong sub-frame!

Original repairer had ordered right part but his supplier didnt - Happy days

CAM BOLTS ARE BASICALLY ECCENTRIC (LIKE CAM LOBES) AND SOMETIMES GET USED ON SUSPENSION TO MAKE MINOR ADJUSTMENTS TO THE ALIGNMENT BASICALLY THEY WILL ROTATE IT TIL IT LINES WHATEVER ITS ATTATCHED TO UP THEN TIGHTEN THE NUT ON THE OTHER END, IF THAT MAKES ANY SENSE !!!