ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Best Broadband for Gaming

172 Silver Cup
Whats the best for Xbox online? Beunlimited pro? Its all about the upload speed isnt it? I am currently with bt and been looking, I can get 16mb download. Havent got Cable in my area :(

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
yeah don't need massive 16mb data conections
Latency is how long it takes to send data from you to the other comp.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Yeah but 756kb upload doesn't mean it's faster then 256kb if your only sending a 1kb file.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Again it's relative.

You're sending data over 4000 miles so there's going to be a short delay before it even reaches there no matter how much is being sent at once.

If you played with a UK host then anyone in America would experience the same lag. Gears2 is terrible unless you're playing with everyone in the same country.

^^ Agree.
If you're playing Americans, either they're going to get lag getting to a UK server, or you're going to by using an American server.

172 Silver Cup
Again it's relative.

You're sending data over 4000 miles so there's going to be a short delay before it even reaches there no matter how much is being sent at once.

If you played with a UK host then anyone in America would experience the same lag. Gears2 is terrible unless you're playing with everyone in the same country.

so no matter how good my broadband it isnt going to make a blind bit of difference if I connect to a us host?

Bumder With A Buffer
Also "sometimes" having your ISP change your DSLAM settings from Interleaved to FastPath might help any lag issues.

Probably not, no.

For illustration, the ClioSport server is *very* well connected (right in the middle of London, Docklands). 0.9ms to ping the BBC. But, to ping google.com, it's 93ms from the ClioSport server....

I get around 25ms to the BBC from my home ADSL connection, but 117ms to google.com.

Basically, America's a long way away..

172 Cup
Also "sometimes" having your ISP change your DSLAM settings from Interleaved to FastPath might help any lag issues.

Not true.

Fastpath "can" give better ping results, and in most cases indeed does, but PING (in it's true technical term) has absolutely no relationship to latency which causes "lag".