ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Best Coilovers Part 2

Was a Clio 1.8 16v

Ive decided im gonna go for a 30/35mm drop then.

So whats the best set peeps?

Considering I want harder spring rate rear shocks, and rebound adjustable front coilovers?

Whats the damage (£)?

Thanx 4 all the replies so far. ;)

Skoda Fabia vRS

afaik the BBs are GAZ arent they

you can get GAZ from http://www.Dampertech.co.ukwww.Dampertech.co.uk email em an ask

ive just negotiated a 5% discount for clio sport members with them, and ill be ordering my kit very soon

can supply you complete gaz set same as bbs with 200lb front springs for £400 plus postage pm or email if your interested mailto:phatnova24@hotmail.com">phatnova24@hotmail.com .thanks bondy

Was a Clio 1.8 16v

200lb front springs the best then are they? What r urs clean16v?

R they the springs u get anyway with the Gaz set or need to specially order? Cheers.

Was a Clio 1.8 16v

Any1 had thier coilovers fitted by Dampertech in Rotherham?

If so do u recommend them?

What do you reckon BRUN? Good rep, or just cheap for the kit? Thanx.

Skoda Fabia vRS

no idea mate, ive been emailin the bloke askin him stuff over the past two weeks an he seems a good guy so i dont think you would have any trouble at all

Mikey, the spring rate on the rear of clios is fixed, you WONT be able to alter it. The dampers have nothing to do with spring rates.

The harder you make your front wihout compansating on the rear, you will jsut understeer all over.

Its a fine balance.

Bondy, excellent prices mate

Was a Clio 1.8 16v

I know, but is 200lb the best rating for the front springs?

Do the GAZ set come with harder shocks then? Thanks.

Quote: Originally posted by Mikey16vClio on 03 April 2003

200lb front springs the best then are they? What r urs clean16v?

R they the springs u get anyway with the Gaz set or need to specially order? Cheers.
The 200lb springs were far too hard and i sent them back and got the R5 springs, 175lb i think. with the 200lb springs the car would bounce down the FLAT road!

Was a Clio 1.8 16v

Ha, ha.

So 175lb then? Who else has had 200lb springs?

WOW £400 plus £120 for fitting is a 2 week summer holiday if u think about it u know! :eek: Or did u mean 400 inc. fitting Adi? Clean?

Which is nice and cheap.

I run 190lbs on my MK1 XR2 and thats 850 odd kg, still nice and supple.

Hmmm,.........would like to test this pring rate thing!

Clio 190bhp Hybrid

May be the cost of a holiday but my coilovers were probably best money I have spent on my car.

It is worth upgrading the stock suspension and brakes to fully appreciate the clio and what it can do. Even more so if any engine mods have been done.

Its no good spending money on the engine if that performance cannot be used due to the handling of the car. Sort the handling first and then sort the engine.

Since fitting the coilovers I definately am more of a loon in my driving because it rewards so much more and you tend to get away with things the stock set up wouldnt allow.

i will also freely admit that coilovers are easily the best mod on my car. Its one of those things that you need to try, no matter what anyone says or how many cars you are a passenger in that has coilovers, you need to drive one hard to love them. grip grip grip grip grip grip grip.....................

ive got the bb/gaz coilovers and the handling is amazing. i do find thou that booting it hard round a corner the car will slide out a bit, anyone played around with the rebound settings and found a good compromise ?

Was a Clio 1.8 16v

So who runs GAZ with 200lb springs? Did you find it too hard? Im guessing thats the set spring rate for the Clio 16v set.

I need to know which spring rate is genrally the best. Cheers.

What springs come with the BB set? How far has every1 lowered thiers by? I want to go 30/35mm really.

iam running 200lb springs and to be honest for everyday driving they are a bit harsh. i have ordered sum 180s and will let you know they out come.as for settings iam waiting for better weather to do more tests but with the front and rears set on max its like a go cart ideal for track days. i believe the kits come with 200lb fronts well mine did. but they are about 40 to 50 quid for new springs so it aint to bad if you wana change them. email me at mailto:phatnova24@hotmail.com">phatnova24@hotmail.com. for prices on these kits

Was a Clio 1.8 16v

Quote: Originally posted by BRUN on 04 April 2003

mikey how come all your replies have yellow/white text
Yellow = the questions i most want answered. ;)

I will contact u in a few weeks then bondy.

How does a 30mm drop look on a 16v? Any pics PLEASE? I have 16s at the moment:

<A target=_blank href= "http://erc.qmuc.ac.uk/cliosport/file.php?image=cs_mick.jpgU face=Times New Roman color=#0000ff http://erc.qmuc.ac.uk/cliosport/file.php?image=cs_mick.jpg/U

<A target=_blank href= "http://erc.qmuc.ac.uk/cliosport/file.php?image=cs_mick2.jpgU face=Times New Roman color=#0000ff http://erc.qmuc.ac.uk/cliosport/file.php?image=cs_mick2.jpg/U

<A target=_blank href= "http://erc.qmuc.ac.uk/cliosport/file.php?image=cs_mick3.jpgU face=Times New Roman color=#0000ff http://erc.qmuc.ac.uk/cliosport/file.php?image=cs_mick3.jpg/U

i know because of the fuss i kicked up K-TEC started supplying there coilovers with the 175lb springs. i found the car dangerous to be in if cornering fast because the car would simply jump off the road. plus the damping settings meant nothing because the sprung was too hard for any noticeable adjustments

Was a Clio 1.8 16v

Is urs still as hard as ud every want it to be when u max the damper stiffness then clean? Thanx.

175lb are the best to get for a 16v? Agreed?

Was a Clio 1.8 16v

If you lower the torsion bar by either 30 or 35mm what do you set ur front coilovers too? The same drop of either 30 or 35mm or not as low? Cheers.

coolspot007007

ClioSport Club Member
  Seat Leon Cupra

lower front, mine is, im sure theres a reason for it, just cant for the life of me remember what the hell it is.

If yuou lower the rear by 35, lower the front by 35.

Dont be tempted to level it out.

You cahnge castor values if you do, which affects turn in.

nope, castor.....

castor is the amount in degrees that the steering pin axis is from the verticle through the hub centre.

um, basically, looking at the wheel from the side, at is face if you will.

Imagine a line vertically through it, with equal halfs.

Then quater it so you have a horizontal line. Not, where they cross is the centre right, thats also the centre of the steering pin. Naturally, you would think it would steer along the axis of the vertical line, but it dont work like that. No cars have a O deg castor as it makes seteering very, well ineffective! so, you lean the axis or orientation of the pin top and bottom (whilst keeping the centre of teh pin in teh same place) back. Then continue the line of the steering pin to the ground intersect and the amount in deg from the ground intersect verticle and the stering pin axis is the castor....

might be easier if i draw it! lol

Was a Clio 1.8 16v

Quote: Originally posted by Mikey16vClio on 05 April 2003

If you lower the torsion bar by either 30 or 35mm what do you set ur front coilovers too? The same drop of either 30 or 35mm or not as low? Cheers.
Is it agreed that its best to lower both by the same for steering purposes? Thanx