ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Best Fast Road Brakes Setup for 172 Cup

German Barge
Hi all,

Been a while since i have been on here.

Having bought a 172 recently, i am looking to upgrade the brake setup.

I am wondering what brake setup i should go for, and where to buy, as prices at some places seem to be sky high.

Looking to change both the back and the front discs, pads etc.

Links, and companies would be great.

I have had a look on "rally design" and they seem to be quite good value.

RenaultSport clio 172 mk2
If you need better brakes just for road use there's something seriously wrong and very seriously illegal and dangerous with the way you drive.

German Barge
where did that come from? jesus gordon you need to chill out...

thats like saying "why did subaru fit 4 pot brembo calipers to the impreza when it was JUST for road use"

IM SIMPLY LOOKING TO UPGRADE/IMPROVE...

If anything my friend, having better brakes shows best interest in car maintenance, and stopping distance... therefore improving road safety. At no point above, have i mentioned my driving behaviour, and nor should you judge..

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
ive heard brembo high carbon disks mentioned on here a few times as a good upgrade mate.

i think you will hear that there isnt much point changing the rears over to anything other than standard as they dont do much braking at all, may aswell spend more on the fronts as they are what really stop you...

Lionel Richie
our greenstuff kit, or our DS2500 kit

DS2500 is more extreme, suitable for track, the EBC green kit we put together as a slightly uprated road kit

Audi TT 225
Im using Tarox sport japan discs and fast road pads (all round), its a very good fast road combo with much improved stopping power over the standard items but Im gonna try some DS2500's when my pads die.
The tarox fast road pads wont last long on a track day but for A roads and motorway use they're very good.

nikstar

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup
Check out the hispec website, i no there kits were always highly recomened on saxox/106s there around £800 for a 300mm conversion. The calipers also come in a choice of colours really look the part as wel as being up to the job. Not the cheapest upgrade but i will be getting them when i have got the muny.

Your brakes can never be to good! Never no when some idiot decideds to stop for no reason!

IM SIMPLY LOOKING TO UPGRADE/IMPROVE...

Stock are more than anyone realy needs for road use if correctly maintainced. I never see the point if your happy with stock upgrading and stock are fine.

Looking to change both the back and the front discs, pads etc.

Rear disks are expensive unless you need to change them I'd leave them.
Yozasport will be about the cheapest brake supplier for simplicity.

I've used RC6 compound on alot of cars for a while, and they seriuosly rock. Proper stopping power, zero fade ever, work in zero deg temps...brilliant.

Eat discs, squeel like nothing else, but dont emit too much dust.

Its a proper rally pad, nice to see they are doing them for the new clios not just the old ones.

MkII Ph.2 172. Modified.
My personal setup is as follows:
Good quality front rotors
Braided hoses (Not essential - I happen to like a firmer brake pedal)
Piped in cooling ducts
DS2500
Castrol SRF

To be honest, if you need anything more than this, your driving style is at fault, and you could benefit with some professional instruction.
Choice of rotors is something I cannot comment on, as I am using a custom cast. Although, you may want to follow up with the supplier as they have a pattern now and should be able to produce. Perhaps they have European agencies too, as they are South African made.
A word of warning, these rotors are weathered, and the process takes six weeks. Worth every cent.
Both these rotors have completed the same amount of laps:
disc_die_hard_06a.jpg

Fitted to this racecar:

The first picture is the same brand I have fitted.

If anyone wants the url, I'll post it.

MkII Ph.2 172. Modified.
Yeah, ok... Still being my first post I didn't want to wade in with something that may have been construed as spam.
Their kit is phenomenal though.

Saab 93 Aero Wagon
I tracked down my current braking combo for pretty good money.

EBC Greenstuff pads from Ebay for £49 delivered and Brembo High Carbons from GDI for a bit less than the next best price.

Haven't bothered with braided hoses but its down to personal preference.

Audi TT 225
As I said earlier, the tarox setup is perfect for fast road, slightly less dust but not by much, no squeeling at all. The pads wont glaze due to the grooves and they're drilled and heat treated so no cracks and Ive used them a lot, Ive compared them side by side with greensuff & brembo HC discs and they seriously out performed them.
Front discs £150
Rear discs £150 ish
Pads about £40 per set.

They also look the shizzle!

tarox2.gif

Audi TT 225
Tarox cost a FORTUNE!

They're not the cheepest I'll agree but they do perform very well.
Brakes, like tyres are one of the departments where I'd rather not go for the cheepest option.

Technically it worked out ok tho
Ordered the rear discs, they said they were out of stock
Two days later G88 rear discs turned up, called and complained
Another box arrived and the delivery guy took the G88 rear's back
Turns out now they had sent me G88 front discs, called and complained
Another box arrived with my sport japan rears but they refused to take the G88 fronts back...
Sold em on, bonus! ;)

Steve

ClioSport Club Member
  ST3 8.5
What price for front set up??

My personal setup is as follows:
Good quality front rotors
Braided hoses (Not essential - I happen to like a firmer brake pedal)
Piped in cooling ducts
DS2500
Castrol SRF

To be honest, if you need anything more than this, your driving style is at fault, and you could benefit with some professional instruction.
Choice of rotors is something I cannot comment on, as I am using a custom cast. Although, you may want to follow up with the supplier as they have a pattern now and should be able to produce. Perhaps they have European agencies too, as they are South African made.
A word of warning, these rotors are weathered, and the process takes six weeks. Worth every cent.
Both these rotors have completed the same amount of laps:
disc_die_hard_06a.jpg

Fitted to this racecar:

The first picture is the same brand I have fitted.

If anyone wants the url, I'll post it.

MkII Ph.2 172. Modified.
Tarox cost a FORTUNE!

They're not the cheepest I'll agree but they do perform very well.
Brakes, like tyres are one of the departments where I'd rather not go for the cheepest option.
Expensive does not imply quality.

What price for front set up??
Roughly 340 quid(I paid in monopoly money) for fronts with two sets of DS2500 and fluid.
Whole lot weighed 14Kgs if I'm not mistaken. Factor shipping from Pretoria, South Africa if you have no local agent.
Hoses I don't have a clue, they were put on by the mad mechanic. Freebie I think. Ducting was definitely a freebie.

Last edited:
  Audi TT 225
Expensive does not imply quality.

Im by no means implying that this is the case, there are many poor but expensive brake kits out there. I was stating that this setup is pricey but does work well on "fast road" applications as per the thread title.

What I was trying to say is I dont mind spending cash on things like brakes because at the end of the day it could make the difference between life and death.
For example, my girlfriend will only buy the cheepest tyres she can find, I go for quality regardless of price.

ITB'd Ph1 172
fast road preference..

greenstuff or mintex extreme (our customers seem very happy with these)

and brembo discs

lines if you feel the need.