ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Best handling set up - daily/track use (mainly daily atm)

TRH_Racing

South East - Herts/London
ClioSport Area Rep
As the title says, Whats the best handling mod's i can do to get the 182 getting round the corners quickly with no hassle as well as being good to drive on the roads as a normal car

I've already got eibach sportline springs and I'm looking at a Whiteline ARB, anything else to add to the list?

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
If it's mainly a daily, not sure if corner weighting would be beneficial? Op, how many days are you thinking of doing?

TRH_Racing

ClioSport Area Rep
If it's mainly a daily, not sure if corner weighting would be beneficial? Op, how many days are you thinking of doing?

ive done one this year so far but ive had to stop saving for track days and save for holiday / mechanicals (belts need doing desperatly) .. so when they're done ill be hoping to do one every month to 2 months or so, so pretty often im hoping to do them!

Cup In bits
Eibachs sport lines and RARB are an ideal road and occasional track setup IMO, I hate driving rigid cars on the road though. The springs actually improve the crashiness of the standard set and the RARB has no affect on the damping or anything tbh until you start chucking it into corners.

Decent geo after that.

Reasonable tyres for fun and sliding about and List 1b for outright grip.

Add to that a set of good pads and you have a brilliant little car.

Three of the best mods I have done to any of mine is good bucket seats, steering wheel and RARB in that order.

TRH_Racing

ClioSport Area Rep
Eibachs sport lines and RARB are an ideal road and occasional track setup IMO, I hate driving rigid cars on the road though. The springs actually improve the crashiness of the standard set and the RARB has no affect on the damping or anything tbh until you start chucking it into corners.

Decent geo after that.

Reasonable tyres for fun and sliding about and List 1b for outright grip.

Add to that a set of good pads and you have a brilliant little car.

Three of the best mods I have done to any of mine is good bucket seats, steering wheel and RARB in that order.

Perfect :) I've just got brand new PS3 extra loads on the front and the rears will have the same in 4-5k miles time(sorta low atm)

So just the springs and RARB will be the best set up, awesome! I'm getting new brake pads next month, moving to m1122's first and then when i get more into it possbiley ds3000 / ds1.1's
I'm on the hunt for a bucket seat / harness set up atm, steering wheel is on the list and ARB is there as well, Ill put them to my main list of what i wanna get done first and see how i go from there :D

Cup In bits
I wouldn't say it's the 'best' setup possible but it's definitely what I will do if I have another road one for the occasional track day. That setup is when I had the most fun in the various incarnations of mine.... not the quickest but the most fun.

TRH_Racing

ClioSport Area Rep
I wouldn't say it's the 'best' setup possible but it's definitely what I will do if I have another road one for the occasional track day. That setup is when I had the most fun in the various incarnations of mine.... not the quickest but the most fun.

Ill give it a go and then work from it :)

what would you say the best options are .. money no object etc ?

TRH_Racing

ClioSport Area Rep
Well factor in a new set of those as well mate. No point putting new springs on old dampers as you'll only end up doing the job twice when the dampers s**t themselves. You'll also reap the benefits of the new setup much more mate.

how much am i looking at new dampers then ? 182 FF with cup chassis / suspension etc

charltjr

ClioSport Club Member
Yes you'll need shims if you want more rear camber, but you might not. It's a very individual thing, you might find you are happy with the rear grip you've got already.

The important thing is that the geo is right, I'd sort the shocks out, fit the camber bolts, get the ARB on and then get it checked and see where you're at. Depending on how your rear beam is that could be completely to c**k and you can then sort it out with spacers.

If you do want more rear camber I've a set of unused 1 degree shims I'm about to flog ;)

BMW M4; S1000 RR
@MG cup summed it up. Fresh OE suspension- 182s already fly round corners, you just need:

> Tyres that won't have you sliding off the road
> Seats that won't have you sliding into the door

IMO. Steering wheel isn't ideal, but definitely not as bad as the seats. If you're doing track days then refresh all your fluids and get some decent brake pads (although OE is absolutely fine if you keep your sessions under 15 minutes).

WRX
MG Cup hit the nail on the head. Fresh bushes etc also make a huge difference. Corner weighting is a bit difficult on standard dampers.

charltjr

ClioSport Club Member
For what it's worth I've just done a suspension refresh on mine, OE shocks, Cooksport springs, new OE wishbones and I polybushed the front ARB bushes and the rear beam bushes. Camber bolts on the front. Already had the whiteline ARB fitted.

I know I could go faster on track with a stiffer setup but it's just so much fun as it is and it's not too compromised for regular road use. It also gives a good base if I do ever want to go to a more track-focused setup. Budget was definitely a factor and I didn't see the point in lashing out a load of cash on a decent coilover setup with tired bushes underpinning the whole show.

Cup In bits
^^^ exactly that.

It will only cost about £300 in parts or thereabouts but it's all genuine stuff and it's better solution than throwing in £500-600 suspension to worn out suspension.

For what it's worth I've just done a suspension refresh on mine, OE shocks, Cooksport springs, new OE wishbones and I polybushed the front ARB bushes and the rear beam bushes. Camber bolts on the front. Already had the whiteline ARB fitted.

I know I could go faster on track with a stiffer setup but it's just so much fun as it is and it's not too compromised for regular road use. It also gives a good base if I do ever want to go to a more track-focused setup. Budget was definitely a factor and I didn't see the point in lashing out a load of cash on a decent coilover setup with tired bushes underpinning the whole show.

How much did the wishbones and bushes cost? Need to do the same to mine!

I have new cup shocks and cooksport springs and think they're a very good setup for daily/occasional track day. Firm but not stiff and not crashy on crap British roads.

charltjr

ClioSport Club Member
Came to about £240 for the lot - both wishbones with balljoints and powerflex polybushes for the rear beam and front ARB. Definitely worth shopping around as prices seem quite variable.

172 Turbo
I'm struggling to decide whether to go for fresh Renault top mounts and wishbones or just go for PMS top mounts and polybushes.
Struts are Bilstein B14.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
I'm struggling to decide whether to go for fresh Renault top mounts and wishbones or just go for PMS top mounts and polybushes.
Struts are Bilstein B14.
Either go standard top mounts and wishbones, or pms mounts and Renault wishbones. Don't waste your time on poly bushes as the standard Renault bushes in the wishbone are very good tbh.

172 Turbo
Thanks @NorthloopCup I've already got the new top mounts on my Cooksports, so will reuse them (they are only 1k old), will get on the phone tomorrow and order the wishbones, & ARB bushes. I've already bought poly rack bushes, but perhaps I should get the Renault kit and be done with it all, the rest is all new.

Would people recommend powerflex arb bushes or just standard Renault items? Trying to get a list going for a susp refresh but unsure whether to stick to OE bits or not.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Thanks @NorthloopCup I've already got the new top mounts on my Cooksports, so will reuse them (they are only 1k old), will get on the phone tomorrow and order the wishbones, & ARB bushes. I've already bought poly rack bushes, but perhaps I should get the Renault kit and be done with it all, the rest is all new.
No worries mate. I'd poly bush the rack personally if you've already got them. They don't come under as much stress as the wishbone bushes.

Would people recommend powerflex arb bushes or just standard Renault items? Trying to get a list going for a susp refresh but unsure whether to stick to OE bits or not.
I've got poly arb bushes on my car and I'd recommend them over standard tbh. Less compliant so makes the arb more effective, however minuscule the amount of difference it makes. Lol!

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
tyres are imo the most important thing for these (or any for that matter) cars.
my favourite setup ive ran for the road (excluding the trophy obviously!) was a ph2 172, Michelin PS3's refreshed front end, 172 cup dampers and eibach sportlines (the cooksports get a really good name but ive yet to try them)

However, my 172 Cup has reasonably new cup dampers, eibach prolines, recent geometry setup and a fairly recent refresh but piss poor yokohama S Drive tyres and my DCi80 on Michelin PS3's and Twingo GT springs and dampers easily corners quicker!

172 Turbo
I've gone for the Renault top mounts, ARB bushes, and new wishbones, with Bilstein B14s. Car has just had new tie rods and ends so having new bushes put on the rack.

With my 888s and Quaife that should handle well enough for me!

497adam

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172 phase 2
Mine has had new wishbones, pro line eibach springs. Poly bushed rack, replaced the top mounts. It's in the next week to swap the shocks for genuine cup ones, poly Arb bushes, camber bolts

I'm trying to get a list going of what to get and from where, which could serve as a guide as it's asked fairly often.

Cup wishbones - Renault Wolverhampton
Track rods + ends - I believe you can get aftermarket ones cheaper than Renault?
Poly steering rack bush - Powerflex
New Cup suspension - Renault Wolverhampton
Kangoo top engine mount - eBay (eBay id 381156452810)
Inner and outer Arb bushes - Powerflex
Top mounts - Renault Wolverhampton or PMS

What top susp mount on the rear shocks do people recommend? Standard or poly?

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
I'm trying to get a list going of what to get and from where, which could serve as a guide as it's asked fairly often.

Cup wishbones - Renault Wolverhampton
Track rods + ends - I believe you can get aftermarket ones cheaper than Renault?
Poly steering rack bush - Powerflex
New Cup suspension - Renault Wolverhampton
Kangoo top engine mount - eBay (eBay id 381156452810)
Inner and outer Arb bushes - Powerflex
Top mounts - Renault Wolverhampton or PMS

What top susp mount on the rear shocks do people recommend? Standard or poly?
I've got custom acetyl bushes on the back of mine, but I'd definitely recommend the powerflex poly equivalent mate in the black series. You'll get a bit more noise in the cabin though as a compromise.