ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Best ISP

So im getting new broadband and was just wondering whos good for constant speeds. Im looking at getting a 20mb service as i play live a lot and run downlads at same time.

Reccomended ISP?

Cheers

I want somthing that i can download and play live at the same time and use the internet? What speed would i need? I thought 20mb as it will be a under so i can get what i need.

Who would you reccomend? Is sky any good?

Tesla MP3 2021
^ You will need good bandwidth of you want to download and play on live at the same time with no lag. Just browse which ISP's you can choose from via DSL zone and take it from there.

Sky only go upto 16Mbps.

Tesla MP3 2021
No Sky are good my Dad uses Sky but they don't go up to 20Mbps. So looking at that you can get Sky LLU which is good. Just need to find out what kind of speed you can achieve.

Who are you with at present and how do you connect to the net i.e modem or router?

It says im good for 6.5mb or over. Im with tesco and its a joke. So slow. Speed test says i get 500kb or around there f**king joke. 16mb will be fine i presume. I just need to be able to play live with no lag and occasionly download at the same time, several comps running at same time somtines all trying to facebook slows things down at the moment so it really needs to change.

You are around 360 metres from your exchange (as the crow flies).

So i should be getting good speeds shurly? 16mb with sky will be near 16mb as im close?

Ive got a wirless router, the box connected to my runs a 100mb network speed though so it can handle well.

Tesla MP3 2021
^ This is the thing. Your distance is "as the crow flies" and when it comes down to working out your best possible speed it has no relevance. Its the actual "real" length of your line that counts which could be any lengh. Do you have a router i.e Netgear....?

Dont get me wrong your pretty close to your exchange so its not going to be bad!

Yeah i have a router i cant rember what make the router is, the reciver i have in my room is a belkin one so are the rest. Sky provide a netgear one i think with the max package. Out of intrest why does this matter?

Cheers for helping though

Tesla MP3 2021
To cut a long story short if you log into your routers status pages you will be able to see exactly what sync speed you have on your line. It will also display the Line Attenuation in db which is basically how to determine the actual length of your line.

"The greater the resistance to the signal carried on the line, the higher the attenuation and the lesser the line rates. After all attenuation is really just another name for restance, and different frequencies are affected by attenuation in different ways, roughly put i.e. the higher the band of frequencies the higher the attenuation or resistance to those frequencies over a given resistance/attenuation. The attenuation figure usually relates to the physical length of the telephone line although the quality of the copper in the line plays a more important role. So some lines may appear to have a high attenuation, this is because of poor copper or perhaps they are in part alluminium which is the cause. "

So if you can get your stats then that will give you a better idea.

288 Kbps Upstream, 2272 Kbps Downstream

Thats what my system page says. Also the mac address shown here, is it the one i need to give sky to set up there broadband? Would you say sky is a good option then for me to use?

Cheers

Tesla MP3 2021
So you are getting exactly.

2.21875 Mbps D/stream
0.28125 Mbps U/stream

Are you on Tesco's 2Mb package??

No thats not the MAC code you need to migrate. You need to get that from Tesco.

** EDIT*** Tesco only go upto 2Mbps so you are basically getting a full connection :)

This is what it says on the page. Is what i need here?

DSL Status​
Connection Status Connected Upstream Rate (Kbps) 288 Downstream Rate (Kbps) 2272 US Margin 28 DS Margin 25 Modulation MMODE LOS Errors 0 DS Line Attenuation 18 US Line Attenuation 20 Path Mode Fast Path

a renault
So im getting new broadband and was just wondering whos good for constant speeds. Im looking at getting a 20mb service as i play live a lot and run downlads at same time.

Reccomended ISP?

Cheers

I'm with PlusNet got a choice of a 12 month and 1 month contract. Absolutely superb service AND customer service. Been with them for 3 years now, brilliant service! can't beat them.

Tesla MP3 2021
This is the important bit.

Line Attenuation 18 US Line Attenuation 20

So you have got a 20db Line Attenuation for d/stream which is pretty darn good lol :)

If Sky get your connection right then you could be looking at a full connection speed.

Shame you cant get Be Unlimted in your area as you could possible get a 24Mbps connection. My line attenuation is 21db and with other adjustments like fast path I get a 23.5Mbps connection speed :).

Awesome. So 16mb from sky would be 16mb? How long would it take for sky to sort it out from when i give them my mac code?

Oh cheers for your help dude.

Tesla MP3 2021
Awesome. So 16mb from sky would be 16mb? How long would it take for sky to sort it out from when i give them my mac code?

Oh cheers for your help dude.

For you yeah as you have a good looking line lol.

Just depends on Sky, should be around 10 days. Just need to get your MAC code from Tesco.

No probs BTW

Thing is for business we need internet. what is the best way to get around this as we cant be without internet or business stops and that cant happen.

Tesla MP3 2021
Your internet doesn't go down when you get your MAC code. If everything goes smoothly with the migration you should only experience about a few minutes of downtime if that!

ah okay, does the tesco get cancled automaticly when sky does what they do with the mac code? Is there much chace of somthing going wrong and things not changing smoothly?

Thing is for business we need internet. what is the best way to get around this as we cant be without internet or business stops and that cant happen.

If the internet is that important, you want to be looking at a proper business ISP, with proper business support.

Something along the lines of Easynet or similar.. would be looking at around £200/£250 a month though for ADSL 8Mb.

At the VERY least, get a proper business ISP.. but you'll be looking at around £60 - £100 at minimum.

Tesla MP3 2021
ah okay, does the tesco get cancled automaticly when sky does what they do with the mac code? Is there much chace of somthing going wrong and things not changing smoothly?

I would always check with Tesco after you move to Sky as you dont want a bill next month from Tesco for no reason lol.

It's hard to say mate. I have only ever seen a few migrations go wrong but that was always down to the new ISP . When my dad moved from AOL to Sky it was changed over in about 5 mins :).

So in all.

Get MAC code from Tesco > Call Sky and sign up for their Max Broadband and give them the MAC code > You will get a live date from Sky >Make sure your Tesco account is cancelled when you have completely moved to Sky.

And if you are unsure if you have migrated on the day or not just go to http://www.dslzoneuk.net/ip_checker.php and this will tell yo your ISP :)

Its not a huge thing, but all contacting and emaling is done. There are no servers its just laptop thing but email is needed perenently. Its just more of a case that if theres no internet for 10 days it becomes a problem but 1 day is fine. Thats a lot of money for internet, what are the benefits?

Tesla MP3 2021
Its not a huge thing, but all contacting and emaling is done. There are no servers its just laptop thing but email is needed perenently. Its just more of a case that if theres no internet for 10 days it becomes a problem but 1 day is fine. Thats a lot of money for internet, what are the benefits?

Only a few minutes lol not a day ;)

Tesla MP3 2021

If the internet is that important, you want to be looking at a proper business ISP, with proper business support.

Something along the lines of Easynet or similar.. would be looking at around £200/£250 a month though for ADSL 8Mb.

At the VERY least, get a proper business ISP.. but you'll be looking at around £60 - £100 at minimum.

Have to agree but it's abit pricey.

Tesla MP3 2021
lol dont know what happend there. My replys came out in the wrong order lol.

lol yeah saw that.

Daz how should i justfy spending hundreds more for internet. All i need it for is research and emal at the most. But its just that i can go without email for a week. A day is fine though, just somthing id ratehr avoid.

What benefits does an Buisness ISP offer, for that much money.

If you can afford a day downtime, then you'll be fine with most connections. If it does go down for even more, you could always have a dial-up as a backup!

I doubt you'd see much benefit from your usage you describe, by going for a high end business connection :)

In terms of migration, it's pretty painless.. providing both ISPs get it right :)

okay cheers, yeah im not running some serious computing stuff i just need it to email and contact clients and so on. I think Sky will be fine as i can justify the huge extra cost for a buisness one with my operation. I shall get on with the migration soon as so i can play live with no lag! Yay

okay cheers, yeah im not running some serious computing stuff i just need it to email and contact clients and so on. I think Sky will be fine as i can justify the huge extra cost for a buisness one with my operation. I shall get on with the migration soon as so i can play live with no lag! Yay

Yea, you can do a lot worse than Sky.
Their "Business side" is Easynet, who I mentioned above! :) (Sky own Easynet now.. :))