ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Best oil for 172 cup?

clio cup 172
Hi all. Engine's sounding a bit rattley! like a diesel. Could an oil change sort this out? Getting a bit worried now. Changed oil not long ago 5w 40 i think, could this be the cause? Could it be tappits or something more serious? :( :( :(

Saab 93 Aero Wagon
5w 40 is indeed the right oil....obviously the quality can vary but generally any of the well known brands will be sufficient.
But if its sounding like a diesel....well...i'd be a tad concerned that something internal isn't happy.

Is it down on power/smoking/etc?

clio cup 172
Thanx for getting back m8. Thinking about it, it was 10w 40. It does feel a bit slower to be honest. I dont rag the engine or nothing so what could it be?

koi

Audi S1
Aye quality service from Opie Oils, ordered on Monday and recieved it today. Well chuffed :)

I remeber reading something about a cam/inlet dephaser going can cause a noisy idle. Is it due a cambelt soon? lol

Black Gold with cup packs
Any VAT registered garage should be able to do your cam belt without the need to worry!

Black Gold with cup packs
I just bought S Pro and denso iridium platinum tipped spark plugs! very good stuff, not cheap though. worth it in the long run though, at the end of the day the plugs are good for 100k and the oil is good for 12k so call it £45 a year for an oil change with top banana stuff!

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
^^^ I don't know where you get the idea the plugs are good for 100k . The recommended interval is 72k or 5 years . Personally i'd change them before that . Mine only last 30k on my old 172 .

Phase 2 172 Cup
denso irridiums are terrible, i got them in mine after service 2weeks ago, very lumpy idle and down on power

putting a set of NGK's in over the weekend to see if that cures the problem