ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Best satnav for around £100

M2 Competition
Whats the best satnav to buy for around £100?

Thinking a tomtom one gb v4 at the moment, can be had for £114 on amazon.

Anything else to consider?

Dan :star:

M2 Competition
Hmm, the old dear has just bought a garmin 250, will borrow and have a play with it.

Didnt think they'd be as good!

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
never played with a 250 so im not sure on what the differences are.

My 300 is spot on though...

only jibe i have with it is it takes about 10 mins to locate sattelites and you canny have peoples voices on it!

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Old XL, super cheap.

No matter what they call come with the latest maps (you just have to upgrade in TT home)

The V4's do have better mounts, much less of a pain.

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR
Can you not stick it on your phone? Garmin's are funny on clio's, they seem to be affected by the heat reflective windscreen whereas the TomTom one works perfectly.

Last edited:

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR
Garmins are ace but ive had two now in 3 diff clios and they are a pita.

320d
Garmin all the way. I got my garmin nuvi 200 for £99.99 on boxing day this year and they're still £99.99 now, it hasnt depreciated atall :D couldnt recommend it more.

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR
Its a cup, no heat reflective windscreen!

good point, get anything then theres no difference in all of them. I played with both the tomtom and garmin. Tomtom has slightly nicer gimmicks.

dk

911 GTS Cab
lol, gimmicks, these days its all about the value add now everyone seems to already have them and tomtom have some great features like map share.

tomtom are better value for money as you get so much more. They aren't the leading satnav for no reason.

Plus, if cat likes his, it must be pretty good as hes a moaning grumpy old man;)

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR
lol, gimmicks, these days its all about the value add now everyone seems to already have them and tomtom have some great features like map share.

tomtom are better value for money as you get so much more. They aren't the leading satnav for no reason.

Plus, if cat likes his, it must be pretty good as hes a moaning grumpy old man;)

Yeah i guess if cat does then its ok. But i did like the gimmicks tbh

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Proof that the search works! ;)

Im looking at either the

Garmin 250 http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/..._productId_263195_langId_-1_categoryId_165685

+Has european maps - no traffic updates

The TomTom one v3 with traffic http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/..._productId_376821_langId_-1_categoryId_165685

+ has traffic updates but does the system work well? - only GB (may drive to Portugal in 2010!)

or the TomTom one v4 without http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/..._productId_515467_langId_-1_categoryId_165685

+latest design, probably best looking and apparently better than the V3 - no traffic updates

Which would you go for and why?

RB 182
Out of those John I'd go for the TomTom one v4 as I've used TomTom for years with no problems, always been really good.

Don't get the traffic versions unless your going for the Live HD ones as the cabled ones use technology that only really works from Classic FM and is useless in this country.

If I were you though I'd get some thing like this manufacturer refurb of the TomTom 520, basically the same as my 720 just not European maps and a really good price.
http://www.totalpda.co.uk/TomTom/To...ed.7593.html?gclid=CM_Vz_Ki3pcCFYsh3god0nMyDQ

Edit: Found this that is even better - http://www.totalpda.co.uk/TomTom/TomTom-GO-720.7513.html

Last edited:

dk

911 GTS Cab
Out of those John I'd go for the TomTom one v4 as I've used TomTom for years with no problems, always been really good.

Don't get the traffic versions unless your going for the Live HD ones as the cabled ones use technology that only really works from Classic FM and is useless in this country.

If I were you though I'd get some thing like this manufacturer refurb of the TomTom 520, basically the same as my 720 just not European maps and a really good price.
http://www.totalpda.co.uk/TomTom/To...ed.7593.html?gclid=CM_Vz_Ki3pcCFYsh3god0nMyDQ

Edit: Found this that is even better - http://www.totalpda.co.uk/TomTom/TomTom-GO-720.7513.html
sorry but i really do disagree, the traffic updates via the cable actually work very well, i have been relying on them for the past 3 weeks having to drive into central birmingham and central london every day.

They have been invaluable, lock on within about 2 minutes, sometimes even before the sats log on and have steered me around so much traffic its literally saved me about a day from from 3 weeks alone.

I literally couldn't do without it now, I was driving home from canary wharf to bucks every day for a week and the thing tool me through the centre of london at rush hour and I avoided all traffic, hardly queued at all!

So personally I would without doubt recommend the FREE way to get traffic, lets not forget that Live HD is a subscription service, and is only available on the go models anyway i think.

LY R26
mainly because theyre better than any other make of sat nav, and if it breaks theyll give you a new one straight away

dk

911 GTS Cab
Ive only ever used Garmin but having done some reading up TomTom seems the way to go tbh. Why do you think they are better?

Figured that was the case dk!

This is the closest equivalent I could find, doesnt have as many features and is a tenner more. Also imo doesnt look as nice.

http://www.currys.co.uk/martprd/sto...74579&category_oid=#productInformationSection
tomtom are definitely the most popular, and that normally tells you something, they seem to have the biggest range too and the best and most innovative features.

I guess its what others around you use which normally guides you to what you buy, i've had multiple friends have other brands though and then after a trip with me say that their next one will be tomtom, thats a good gauge i guess.

I think the tomtom are easier to use too, very self explanatory, even my dad can use one, which trust me, is saying something!

^ Agreed, when I was looking I wanted something that I could use, didn't direct me wrongly (like some i've used have done before) plus I wanted one that didn't fall off of the screen (as i've had some do before)

I like my one.
sorry but i really do disagree, the traffic updates via the cable actually work very well, i have been relying on them for the past 3 weeks having to drive into central birmingham and central london every day.

They have been invaluable, lock on within about 2 minutes, sometimes even before the sats log on and have steered me around so much traffic its literally saved me about a day from from 3 weeks alone.

I literally couldn't do without it now, I was driving home from canary wharf to bucks every day for a week and the thing tool me through the centre of london at rush hour and I avoided all traffic, hardly queued at all!

So personally I would without doubt recommend the FREE way to get traffic, lets not forget that Live HD is a subscription service, and is only available on the go models anyway i think.
I've got that add on for mine, I can't add much, only to say that it really does work. I'm very pleased that I opted for it :)

clio 182 + cup packs
ive used sat navs for years had them all been all over the country too with them and tom tom has by far been the most acurate and best. just bought a new tom tom one v4 last week and i love it. it replaced my tom tom go 300 witch is getting on a bit now but still works fine, just dont have all the latest traffic functions like my new one

LY R26
because he has one;)

because i worked with both tom tom and garmin day in day out and the number of tom toms we got back compared to garmins was startling.

any money if you get a tom tom it'll end up breaking or something will go wrong.

my stepdad bought a yaris sr with a tom tom sat nav built into it, tomtom broke within 3 days.

anyways dont listen to me if you dont want to ;)