ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Best speakers around

Nissan Jewk

I wanna upgrade my standard mk1 172 speakers, front and rear, any recommendations? What is pretty much the best on the market at the moment?

Nissan Jewk

good point dog, no silly money, something realistic! I was told JBL are good? Want something good quality, where if I wanna give the system a bit of a blast, it wont distort at top end. Looking for clarity.

DLS are also excellent

Dont forget Moral, Focal, ID etc

best bet would be to give us a price range and no doubt wel spend it

Nissan Jewk

I already have an amp installed, front speakers are not yet connected, im thinking of infinity components at front and infinitys for the back

silver valver/hybrid

Quote: Originally posted by Bryan on 10 January 2005

DLR R5A

Im not going to say any more than that
ive just bought some of these, not installed them yet though!

RenaultSport Clio 172 Mk2

I have a pair of http://thebassbin.co.uk/shop/product/products_id/1285.htmlInfinity Kappa 50.5cs components (85W rms) and they sound great and I havent amped them up yet either.

They cost around £120 most places.

If you havent got a sub then you will probably want some rear fill, but I wouldnt upgrade your rears until youve heard what the amped up fronts sound like first. You might decide they are fine with the original rears.

Personally, Id go for Focal, Boston Acoustics, Rainbow, Hertz, Morel.

You can fit 6.5" splits up front, so dont worry about that. Not sure about the depth on the Mk1, but on a Mk2 you can fit as deep a speaker as you want if you remove the plastic backing behind the speaker (I had to do that to get Boston Pro 6.5"s in there, which are very deep)

What amp do you have? What power output? Thatll affect the kind of sound you get too.

Cheers,

Scott

Quote: Originally posted by sajc on 11 January 2005

Personally, Id go for Focal, Boston Acoustics, Rainbow, Hertz, Morel. all very good manufacturers, but you do pay the money for them, with the dls r5as they are a very competent speaker at a very competitive price

You can fit 6.5" splits up front, so dont worry about that. Not sure about the depth on the Mk1, but on a Mk2 you can fit as deep a speaker as you want if you remove the plastic backing behind the speaker (I had to do that to get Boston Pro 6.5"s in there, which are very deep) the problem here is that 99 out of 100 people do not want to start cutting up parts of their car, a set of 6.5" speakers will fit, however, depth IS a big issue, you only have around 65-70mm clearance behind the speaker once the window is fully opened, which IMHO is not good enough for a quality mid driver
well they were my experiences anyway, i decided to spend a little extra on some 13cm components as opposed to a little less on the 17cm comps, easier to fit, granted, lacked some of the warmth the 17cms produced, but overall a good buy (Genesis A13s)

yes mike they are 13cm components, very good value for money, exceptional sound quality compared to a vast majority of their rivals, and they fit into the clio without any modification to the doors

the res only come in 6.5s though dont they also they recommend fully sealed enclosures so no to fitting them in stock locations

Quote: Originally posted by dannyboy on 12 January 2005

what would you lot recommend as a good set of 6x9s for the rear shelf?
nothing!!!

leave the shelf as it is, 6x9s are the worst variant of speaker available

Quote: Originally posted by dannyboy on 13 January 2005

so what would you recommend for the parcel shelf then?
id recommend leaving it as it is

you dont need any full range speakers in the rear

components up front and sub in the boot is ALL you need for a good set-up

>
> the problem here is that 99 out of 100 people do not
> want to start cutting up parts of their car,
>

Maybe, but theres not really any reason not to...

If its for resale value, then it doesnt really effect anything... you wont notice if theres a speaker in there anyhow, even if you put the factory ones back in. Who pulls the speaker grille and/or door card off when theyre buying a car? It causes no structural damage.

If its beacuse they cant be bothered... well, it takes next to no effort, the hole is big enough already for a 6.5". YOu just have to remove a small plastic backing, which took me all of 5 minutes. If they cant be bothered, then they should stick with factory audio :)

>
> a set of 6.5" speakers will fit, however, depth IS a
> issue, you only have around 65-70mm clearance behind
> the speaker once the window is fully opened, which IMHO
> is not good enough for a quality mid driver"
>

Do you mean without removing the plastic backing? Because my boston pros fit in there with plenty of room. You can fit a space ring on the door behind the factory grille and fit just about any speaker you can find. Both the focal Utopia/K2P and the Boston Pros (old and new) will fit with room to spare.

>
> yes mike they are 13cm components, very good value for >

Well, Id still prefer a 6.5" speaker :) Something else to consider is Hertz (From the same ppl that make Audison amps) - they make very reasonably priced 6.5" speakers with a front mounted magnet, so theyre very very shallow. I dont know if they fit, since I havent tried them, but Id be nearly 100% sure they will. I cant remember the range name, but its easy enough to find on the web.

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra

Try some German manufactorers like Magnat, phase and MAC Audio. These have never let me down.

as a installer i would recomend focal they have a range to suit every pocket they take a bit of running in sound even better amped and get those doors dynamatted

Quote: Originally posted by gibby883 on 14 January 2005

as a installer i would recomend focal they have a range to suit every pocket they take a bit of running in sound even better amped and get those doors dynamatted
coming fropm the same backgroudm ive found focal to be too harsh,. treble is far too focused, not even close to being competitive with the best on the market

Quote: Originally posted by gibby883 on 15 January 2005

its a matter of personal opinion everybodys hearing is different never had any complaints from any of my customers
nor have i

but then again, no customers ever complain about ICE, they just assume thats how its supposed to sound

350z & 16v Maxi

Focal are a bit harsh, you should be able to pick up a set of Polk Momo on ebay within your price range, the older models but better in my opinion.

Also a set of MTX T6.5s are quite good, along with Rainbow, DLS, Hertz, RE

As for 6x9s, do not buy them, they are sh*t and as for as possible do not put speakers in the back, unless you care about people who sit in the back, but i dont. It will sound better to you with just components up front, esp for the driver.

BMW 320d Sport

CD Technologies, dont know if they are still available in the UK but they make bloody lovely sounding speakers.

I would go for Focal. I had a pair of £200 focal components in my saxo last year (no piss taking please!) and ran them through my Pioneer headunit and they sounded "the dogs!"

Its important to get the doors all sound deadend so you dont get any vibrations though.