ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Best SSD for a laptop?

BMW F21 125d
Kingston any good? SATA 3 required, probably 240Gb and seems a snip (compared to other brands) at £112 delivered.

Too good to be true?

ST1050, 320d
I have a Sandisk 120gb SSD in my 2007 MBP. Read/Write speeds are the thing to look at, mine was the fastest for the money.

BMW F21 125d
That Samsung 840 seems to blow the Intels out of the water for the same cost, is that the one to go for then?

Hang on, EVO is like £125, but the pro is £175.... Bit rich that....

Admire the stats of the Samsung, but wouldn't really want to part with more than £125 or so.

So the question seems to be Samsung EVO or Intel 530?

Thank you please.

Last edited:

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
I have a Sandisk 120gb SSD in my 2007 MBP. Read/Write speeds are the thing to look at, mine was the fastest for the money.

I would say IOPS are just as important.

Second the Samsung 840 Pro's though.. they are excellent.

Clio 172mk2
yer ive a 840 in the media pc, works well, just had firmware update to give it somet the more expensive drives had

GiT

ClioSport Club Member
  Shit little Yaris...
Corsair GS for me. 2 of them in Raid0 - Speeeeeeedy!

Polo + Micra
Corsair GS for me. 2 of them in Raid0 - Speeeeeeedy!

i'm on my third corsair ssd. using it as a boot drive in my nas as i just don't trust them.

i'm now using an intel ssd in my laptop

Polo + Micra
they just died

literally no warning nothing and no recovery as they stopped being recognised

the second one died after only about 6 months and RMA address is in the Netherlands

172 Cup & K20 Ph1
Sandisk for me.. Got two in a (risky) stripe array. Blistering performance but I always keep back ups on spinning media!

BMW F21 125d
Ok so I am going for a Samsung 840 EVO 250Gb SSD

Just one question.... Do I need the laptop upgrade kit or just the standalone drive?

I have a 2.5" SATA USB Caddy already that I can use to transfer data from my old HDD, the only advantage I can see with the upgrade kit is you get a mounting bracket too? But do I need this??

MZ-7TE250LW is the upgrade pack

MZ-7TE250BW is just the SSD on its own...

Don't want to spend an extra £15/20 on something if I don't need it?

Oh its going in a DELL XPS L502x

Clio 172mk2
if your replacing the drive in laptop, it will have its own mount kit, usually a metal bracket etc

the drive kits more for PC use

1 x Mounting spacer <<<<<<<<<<<<<makes it upto 3.5" so fits a normal bay
1 x SATA to USB 3.0 connector <<< dont see why ud need this tbh on a internal drive

Ben

ClioSport Club Member
A little bit late now but I've just pressed the button on a Crucial 240gb M500 SSD (£85 delivered), it has had good reviews on several sites I've read and on others some not so good. Does anyone have a Crucial SSD on here, any thoughts?