ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Best top end coilies....

Stripped yozza'd cup
I know this is going to end up with a huge argument, but I need peoples opinions...

I'm 99% buying dannyR's 'charged engine. With the extra 160hp I guess it would be a good idea to buy some coilovers..... Lol.

So, I use the car as a daily at the moment but only for a couple of months. I'll be doing as many track days as I can afford this year and will use the car as a weekend toy. I'm not worried about ride comfort really, but I'd prefer that it wasn't awful...

Choices are:

1) kw v2's
2) AST
3) bilstein
4) H&R

Or, being as I already have sportlines, should I just buy some Uprated shocks?

Which would people choose? And are there any others I should consider?

I know this has been asked many times, but it's different when you've got 325hp.

I've also got some 15'' Ultraleggeras on their way to me if that makes any difference.....

Ive got KW v2's and i have to say they are superb, handling is amazing definately worth the money. I was 50:50 between blistens and KW, i dont think theres that much between the sets, but im happy with my KWs v2's.

Si

Stripped yozza'd cup
Ive got KW v2's and i have to say they are superb, handling is amazing definately worth the money. I was 50:50 between blistens and KW, i dont think theres that much between the sets, but im happy with my KWs v2's.

Si

I've read a lot of good things about kw. From what I've found they seem to be the best compromise between road comfort and outright performance too....

535d / t5 caravelle
f**k me! you dont f**k about do you!? lol 325bhp :eek: i'm on bilsteins, had noithing else to compare them to, but they are spot on, not really pushed them yet, defo doing a track day soonish though, and hoping for good results from them, everyone else seems to rate them very highly

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
325!!! Jesus christ!

KW's are particularly good! - I'm a big fan of both the v2 and v3.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
I've owned KW's, AST's, H&R's. For me, road and track use
KW>H&R>AST

Combine it with a whiteline adjustable ARB and it'll handle/ride superbly.

Golf GTD Mk7
It would definately be worth while getting some, even if it's just to help keep the power down.lol. Rapid! AST or KW for me. Depends what you're after.

Stripped yozza'd cup
I was initially planning on buying a second, low mile engine and doing the supercharger conversion myself, so the standard 240hp or so.... But danny's engine came up for sale with forged internals, running 326hp. So I thought I may as well save myself some time and money and go for it.

I'll hopefully be collecting it in a couple of weeks, heading straight to RS tuning and getting it all sorted. I'll get a project thread on the go later as I've got a fair amount of stuff done already.

So KW seems to be the favoured option by most? I have to say, in the searching I've done, I havent seen a bad word said about them.

Stripped yozza'd cup
That's true in some respects, but imo, the added adjustability can make the car more fun (if setup correctly). But won't really be any quicker.

Really? So am I better off putting money into Uprated shocks and saving my £500 then?
Or perhaps just hold fire for some second hand ones to pop up?

I assumed they'd be essential with the power...

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
What do you want? Fun or ultimate lap times? If it's fun, well set-up coilovers are worth it imo. If it's lap times, buy another car lol.

BMW M6 & 172 Phase 1
Jack, you're only down the road from me, so feel free to come out in mine which is running a pretty hard AST setup.

Silent_Scone

ClioSport Club Member
  Evo 5 RS
If you must - AST or KW's.. although my first port of call would be a decent 4 pot setup.... you will definitely be needing it lol

Stripped yozza'd cup
What do you want? Fun or ultimate lap times? If it's fun, well set-up coilovers are worth it imo. If it's lap times, buy another car lol.

No I'm not fussed about lap times really. I won't be competing in it, just track days. It's all just for the fun of doing it really.

Jack, you're only down the road from me, so feel free to come out in mine which is running a pretty hard AST setup.

That would be very helpful mate, give me a comparison at least. I don't suppose you have an ARB do you?

Stripped yozza'd cup
If you must - AST or KW's.. although my first port of call would be a decent 4 pot setup.... you will definitely be needing it lol

I'll be doing this as well, but perhaps I'll prioritise this over coilies.

So everyone thinks it will be ok on standard shocks? They've all been replaced in the last 1000miles anyway....

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
No I'm not fussed about lap times really. I won't be competing in it, just track days. It's all just for the fun of doing it really.
KW's then. Massively, hugely better than the AST's I had. The AST's were hugely firm, no roll. So although it initially felt good, once on track it understeered. On the road, the ride was terrible (even on the softest setting). They tend to me most fun (ie adjustable and tail happy) with a soft front end, firm rear.

Ask Steburns about the day we did at Oulton. Both on kw's (him v1, me v2). Spent the day pushing R26's out of the way, sideways;).

BMW M6 & 172 Phase 1
Will you be fitting it any time soon? Lol. Would be ideal to get a direct comparison between standard and ast's.

It's getting fitted along with a few other 'little' tweeks in a few weeks mate sorry.

Don't listen to Brown Bear regarding AST's he had an old setup and seems incapable of changing his mind regarding the firmness. I've owned KW V3's on a previous car, yes they are great, but the AST's are just as drivable on the road.

Stripped yozza'd cup
KW's then. Massively, hugely better than the AST's I had. The AST's were hugely firm, no roll. So although it initially felt good, once on track it understeered. On the road, the ride was terrible (even on the softest setting). They tend to me most fun (ie adjustable and tail happy) with a soft front end, firm rear.

Ask Steburns about the day we did at Oulton. Both on kw's (him v1, me v2). Spent the day pushing R26's out of the way, sideways;).

Lol. Sounds perfect :)

I'm sold. But I think I'll buy the 4 pots first if it will be ok on standard for the time being... Thanks folks!

So now I need help with brakes! Best vfm 4 pots?

I know Brembo are expensive, £795 is the cheapest I found on a brief google visit.
How do apracing, willwood etc compare?

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
It's getting fitted along with a few other 'little' tweeks in a few weeks mate sorry.

Don't listen to Brown Bear regarding AST's he had an old setup and seems incapable of changing his mind regarding the firmness. I've owned KW V3's on a previous car, yes they are great, but the AST's are just as drivable on the road.
I'll give my opinion based on what I have owned. Thankfully bigger firms (KW, Bilstein, H&R) don't use paying customers to refine a poorly developed product. Or wait for known weaknesses to break, rather than contacting customers before the breakages occur.
I've had the decency not to question your opinion, I've not driven your car. I've only offered an accurate account of my experience.

Lol. Sounds perfect :)

I'm sold. But I think I'll buy the 4 pots first if it will be ok on standard for the time being... Thanks folks!

So now I need help with brakes! Best vfm 4 pots?

I know Brembo are expensive, £795 is the cheapest I found on a brief google visit.
How do apracing, willwood etc compare?
I'd probably speak to Fred@BTM, or Jamsport (they were doing some deals iirc?). AP are pricey by all accounts.

Last edited:
  Stripped yozza'd cup
I've also just thought... I'm going to have trouble fitting most four pots under 15'' ultraleg's aren't I.... Im thinking jam-sports willwood setup is going to be the way forward. I've posted on the thread to see if they'll fit so I'll hope for the best!

BMW M6 & 172 Phase 1
I'll give my opinion based on what I have owned. Thankfully bigger firms (KW, Bilstein, H&R) don't use paying customers to refine a poorly developed product. Or wait for known weaknesses to break, rather than contacting customers before the breakeages occur.
I've had the decency not to question your opinion, I've not driven your car. I've only offered an accurate account of my experience.

Before purchasing my AST's I read pretty much every thread on here discussing which coilovers are best. I found the general consensus pretty split between KW's and AST's. I found in pretty much every thread you were very opinionated as to regards the AST's firm ride, yet you know the coilovers you had were not the same as what they produce today. I 100% agree that they shouldn't have sold a poorly developed product, I would be as angry about it as you, but I wouldn't continue to slate their products when the setup now appears very good both on and off track.

I went for the AST's because I could specify a stiffer spring rate and get Tom to give me a good setup out the box, I would also be very interested to try the KW's for comparisson.

Silent_Scone

ClioSport Club Member
  Evo 5 RS
hear mixed opinions about the willwoods. I didn't have any problems with them at combe even on 1444s which are well known for being a bit poo. I've never driven a clio on AP or Compbrakes though so *shrugs* WHO KNOWS!

They're a lot nicer to use than the standard setup though :D even if a bit of a luxury more than a must on something which is pushing less beans than yours will be..will be an animal :|

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Fair enough, but I can only go on what I've driven, no? And I go by past history when considering these things. Am I going to put a grand (minimum) in a company that has conducted themselves in this way before? The setup was only one aspect, the broken adjuster collars, and seized damping adjustment were indicators of the general build quality.

Having to deal with a 1 man band also annoyed me.
"Hi, I want to spend some money, please call back", and Curtis is on the phone same day.
"Hi I've got a problem, please call back" Curtis is racing and out of contact. Constantly.

Curtis couldn't even align his own kit correctly. Told me (and another member) that our cars were pulling to one side due to bent rear axle's. Local tyre monkey had it running straight and true after 1/2hr work.

If you have that sort of experience with a company, better damping isn't going to convince anyone.

Stripped yozza'd cup
hear mixed opinions about the willwoods. I didn't have any problems with them at combe even on 1444s which are well known for being a bit poo. I've never driven a clio on AP or Compbrakes though so *shrugs* WHO KNOWS!

They're a lot nicer to use than the standard setup though :D even if a bit of a luxury more than a must on something which is pushing less beans than yours will be..will be an animal :|

Are there any other manufacturers that make 4 pots that are slim enough to fit under my wheels though?
The thread from jam-sport, although written a while ago now, seems to suggest they are the first to offer such a set-up?

Brown bear / recaro182, have either of you had experience with kw's customer support? I don't want to spend £1000 to find that there's nobody around to help me set the things up or help if something goes tits up.

Silent_Scone

ClioSport Club Member
  Evo 5 RS
Are there any other manufacturers that make 4 pots that are slim enough to fit under my wheels though?
The thread from jam-sport, although written a while ago now, seems to suggest they are the first to offer such a set-up?.

there are a couple of companies that claim that lol. I'm not sure there is another 295mm 'kit' available that would fit. I would call compbrake and see what they say matey. Or possibly speak to Jamsport first

Stripped yozza'd cup
there are a couple of companies that claim that lol. I'm not sure there is another 295mm 'kit' available that would fit. I would call compbrake and see what they say matey. Or possibly speak to Jamsport first

Hmm... How annoying. Lol.
I shall start researching then! Thanks.

suspension should be upgraded before brakes. The better control of weight transfer the less the need for expensive options. Personally I would go for uprated pads before worrying about the price of a set of 4 pots. At the end of the day you wont stop in a significantly shorter distance, you just get a larger heat capacity and possibly lower pad wear if the pad surface area is larger.

Stripped yozza'd cup
suspension should be upgraded before brakes. The better control of weight transfer the less the need for expensive options. Personally I would go for uprated pads before worrying about the price of a set of 4 pots. At the end of the day you wont stop in a significantly shorter distance, you just get a larger heat capacity and possibly lower pad wear if the pad surface area is larger.

I've already got ds2500's. Uprated from these?

BMW M6 & 172 Phase 1
I'll be surprised if you really need much more than the standard CS setup, brembo HC's, braided lines and DS2500's. The cars still going to be light, I guess it depends how fast you plan on going (on track of course)