ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

best track day suspension for a 172

c6mby

ClioSport Club Member
hi there as some of you may knwo im building a track day 172.
anyways as it stands the car has koni suspention and eibach springs,and seems to handle well, but is there any other packages people could recomemd please?

what are the h+r stuff like on track?

regards
sam

Steve

ClioSport Club Member
  ST3 8.5
Try the standard suspension on a few days, otherwise what benefit will you see:S

c6mby

ClioSport Club Member
Try the standard suspension on a few days, otherwise what benefit will you see:S

ive tryed standard and the koni set up i have now,there both very good to be honest but i was wondering other peoples opinions as ive heard great things about h+r stuff

regards
sam

Clio 172 ff
I also would be interested to hear some opinions from people who track their cars regularly.

@dhampton: How would you rate the B14 as a compromise setup for road and track alike? Is the ride as harsh as most people seem to say? What difference do the damper settings (sport and comfort) make in that respect? Also, have you tried any other setup, like H&R coilovers or so?

Thanks

Clio 172 ff
I think LEDAs are not an option for me, as they don't seem to sell them in Germany and therefore it would be a lot of hassle to get them TÜVed, I suppose. Also, unlike the original poster, I'm after a setup that works very well on track but is still good for everyday use (sorry, if this is sort of a hijack).

Anybody else willing to share their experience? Preferably in a little more elaborateness than ben. ;)

c6mby

ClioSport Club Member
I think LEDAs are not an option for me, as they don't seem to sell them in Germany and therefore it would be a lot of hassle to get them TÜVed, I suppose. Also, unlike the original poster, I'm after a setup that works very well on track but is still good for everyday use (sorry, if this is sort of a hijack).

Anybody else willing to share their experience? Preferably in a little more elaborateness than ben. ;)

thats ok mate

anyone else got any advice?

regards
sam

Turbo Beige

If you need them TUV'ed i would look at KW stuff, its supposed to be excellant, but isn't particullay well known in the uk. They do differnet versions that you can adjust the damping for road and track.

182 FF & 306 Rallye
I also would be interested to hear some opinions from people who track their cars regularly.

@dhampton: How would you rate the B14 as a compromise setup for road and track alike? Is the ride as harsh as most people seem to say? What difference do the damper settings (sport and comfort) make in that respect? Also, have you tried any other setup, like H&R coilovers or so?

Thanks

They're too hard for regular day to day use imo, though that depends on the roads really. Around town its a pain, pot holes and drains etc. Motorway is fine and so are decent a/b roads. When i was researching coilovers to get mine the impression i got was that the H&Rs are more compliant for road use. I do really rate these Bilsteins for the track though which is pretty much all i use the clio for.

Vectra 1.9 CDTi SRi 150
Are you looking at Trackday use only suspension, or will it need compromising for road use? H&R are highly regarded due to there ability on track on road, which surely leads to being a compromise. I had FK's on mine, KonigSports, which use Koni adjustable dampers. I found them more track focused with built ability to alter camber without buying bolts. The spring rate was too hard on the road, which affected handling on all but the smoothest surfaces. Are these not German?

Clio 172 ff
Nordschleife is rather far from where I live, so I won't regularly be going there. It's too time consuming. I haven't once gotten round to going there, yet, but I've only been tracking my car since November last year, so it's still early in my track day "career". And I've still got huge respect for the green hell. I will be going there at least once this year for sure, though. How often I'll go to the ring in the future remains to be seen. My "home tracks" are Lausitzring and a short twisty circuit just south of Berlin. Apart from that, Oschersleben and Sachsenring are on the list, but it's hard to get on those. There are some track days held on them, but they're expensive. I really envy you guys, as track days seem to be much more common in the UK, you've got lots of nice tracks with some elevation changes and track days overall seem to be cheaper. Over here, a track day on a track like Sachsenring or Oschersleben usually costs around 350 to 400 Euros and that doesn't even include coaching.

@coolchris: I need a compromise setup as the Clio is my only car and thus also my daily driver. So, I'm indeed currently leaning towards the H&R's, but I'm a little short on money right now and there are several things that have to be fixed on the Clio. So, they'll have to wait a little longer. Hopefully in two or three months I'll be able to afford them. The Eibach pro springs I'm running just don't cut it on the track, imho.

Clio 172 ff
Is the PSS9 available for the 172? According to the Bilstein webpage it's not (same with the KW v3, btw).

182 FF & 306 Rallye
Is the PSS9 available for the 172? According to the Bilstein webpage it's not (same with the KW v3, btw).

I didnt think it was either. Yozza sport do offer an adjustable Bilstein kit though, though its not cheap.

Clio 172 ff
That seems to be the PSS9, built according to YozzaSport's specifications. But even though it's in the 172 section, it says it's for the 182. So I reckon it's in the wrong section then. And 1,600£ is indeed quite a steep price tag. Too much for me, anyway.