ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

best way to accelerate in 172?

This might sound a bit odd but I've found recently that when I ease the accelerator down slowly rather than jam it to the floor, the car seems to have a lot more go about it, especially in the midrange, is this maybe due to the ammount of petrol going in at once, i.e. can flooring the pedal cause a bit of flodding? Anyone else found this?

Nissan 350Z
Dont know the reasons for it, but yes, and I've found the same in pretty much every car I've driven. Something to do with back pressure somebody once mentioned to me, if you floor it, the engine does not work its most efficiently.

Golf GTI 1.8T
arent the sports 'fly-by-wire' (electonic) acceleration so that when you put your foot down the car will only let in the maximum amount of air and petrol the engine can handle at any one time? or am I dreaming/being completely stupid? but yeah every car will do that I think.

B16DOE said:
grip if you just floor it you get no grip wait til a in second then floor it

Is that supposed to be a sentence? :S:rasp:

I find mine seems to go better if you are progressive with the accelerator, but I'd agree with mitchzxr that they are fly-by-wire, so I'd have thought it wouldn't make any difference...

RenaultSport clio 172 mk2
my mate took his fly by wire system off and now has a normal throttle cable he says it is much quicker now!!

Saphire Cosworth
Yeah i don't know if it's psycological - but i find the cup accelerator a little "notchy" compared to the good ol cable.

BMW E46 330i Touring
I know what you mean, always just put it down to what you expect to happen when you floor it, compared to not expecting quite as much if you're being gradual.

I suppose there's also the liklihood that if you do it gradually then you can see the revs build up also, whereas all at once still needs to get the revs up before it'll really kick.

Nissan 350Z
Thing is my old Mk2 GTI certainly wasnt drive by wire, and that still benefited from a more progressive approach, which contradicts what people are saying here.

thanks for the replies, maybe it's all phsycological, my last car was a fiat coupe 20vt so I'm used to loads of midrange and that had a throttle cable. I guess I'll go with what feels best which is feeding throttle in gradually.

cheers

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
good old cables all the way!

can't floor it in first or second in my 172 in this weather anyways.

Pedal to the metal!! Who gives a crap what the car 'feels' like. I feel great!! Mwah Ah Arghhhhhhhhhh..............!!