ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Best way to loose cup weight

172 cup
Hi,

Ive got a cup and i was wondering IF there was any way of loosing some Kg on this car without completely stripping it? I want to use it for track days but also would like it as daily user.

Any options of lighter parts available? Is it worth it?

172 cup
So it's not the engine!

Sorry if I caused any sarcasm. It's a sh@t question I know. But there must be some weight still to loose. What part are we talking about?

So it's not the engine!

Sorry if I caused any sarcasm. It's a sh@t question I know. But there must be some weight still to loose. What part are we talking about?

Have a look at the upper engine mount, on the drivers side, if you look underneath it there will either be a weight or a gap as someone has already binned it. Weight loss depends on how far you want to go, carpets, sound deadening, seats, fibreglass panels, poly windows, airbags etc etc

ADS_V6

ClioSport Club Member
  Seat Leon
jack and tool kit,wooden mdf thing in the spare wheel holder,rear seats.How far do you want to go,you dont want to turn into into a wreck just enjoy it as it is

172 cup
It's the only car that I've had that's got most things considered with weight loss. Too bloody good! I love to fiddle but got nothing to fiddle with.

Well done Renault!

ADS_V6

ClioSport Club Member
  Seat Leon
just enjoy it,i recently spent a fortune new injectors,shocks,springs sensors,tyres paintwork decat etc it gets too much and your picking holes looking for more to do.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Are you trying to set lap records on track?

If not, don't bother.

I took 117 kgs out of my 172 Cup and it ended up 100% totally ruined. Became a real chore to drive...I so wish I'd never bothered and just left it exactly as it was.

Stripping weight out will gain you nothing, ease a little boredom, and ruin your car.

Listerine & Poledo
Are you trying to set lap records on track?

If not, don't bother.

I took 117 kgs out of my 172 Cup and it ended up 100% totally ruined. Became a real chore to drive...I so wish I'd never bothered and just left it exactly as it was.

Stripping weight out will gain you nothing, ease a little boredom, and ruin your car.
This.
Other than removing any potential value in the car (provided you do end up selling it, and not locking up all 4 wheels into a wall,cuz ABS is for faggots) you can pull all the trim out you like, but all you end up with is a buzzing rattle-box that will twist your tits clean off within a few miles.

Christ, my stock-as-stock 172 was rattlier than a spray can.

If the car weighs a ton and you have 170bhp, arnt you essentially gaining 1.7bhp for every 10 kg lost? so 100kg loss will result in an increase of 17bhp per ton?

If its a daily i wouldnt bother, if it becomes a track/weekend car then its probably worth it.

That tar deadening crap is surprisingly heavy and does surprisingly little so thats where I would start.

That said my first trackday in the Clio I don't think having a passenger made any difference at all. If anything I had better traction lol

I use my car daily but its not a "daily driver" as such. I would much rather use my missus' Seat Mii for that but i've taken out

Rear seats
Rear wiper
All boot lid plastics
All tar deadening on the floorpan
Soft sound deadening
Rear carpet
Passenger underseat shelf thing
A lot of the sound deadening behind dash.
CD player
Speakers front and rear

havent touched the rear doorcards or belts.
and if im on track the spare wheel.

Would you notice the difference? f**k yes. Of course you will! I did!

In a straight line at least and at low revs. Way I saw it was that on track I've taken out as much weight as a passenger.

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several
If it's a daily, I wouldn't do anything that is going to reduce refinement, as it will quickly become annoying. I use my Cup daily and it is hardly a world of refinement as it is.

Just make sure it has good tyres, good brakes and that everything is in good condition and enjoy it for what it is. I quite enjoy harassing people in dedicated track/race cars in my bog standard Clio on road tyres.

To be fair unless you have a cup you need to shed weight 1110kg is quite lardy for a small car like a clio. I want mine 1000kg max.

Listerine & Poledo
Surely, if you want a rattly can to drive about in, with zero refinement and track credentials.....

....just go and buy a Saxo that's already had its engine "enhanced"

330i. E30 Touring.
That tar deadening crap is surprisingly heavy and does surprisingly little so thats where I would start.

That said my first trackday in the Clio I don't think having a passenger made any difference at all. If anything I had better traction lol

I use my car daily but its not a "daily driver" as such. I would much rather use my missus' Seat Mii for that but i've taken out

Rear seats
Rear wiper
All boot lid plastics
All tar deadening on the floorpan
Soft sound deadening
Rear carpet
Passenger underseat shelf thing
A lot of the sound deadening behind dash.
CD player
Speakers front and rear

havent touched the rear doorcards or belts.
and if im on track the spare wheel.

Would you notice the difference? f**k yes. Of course you will! I did!
You've noticed more noise.
Not more power/speed.

Listerine & Poledo
I find that if I shove my head over the windscreen, Listerine is so much faster.

I can tell because I get more wind in my face, so must be fast

You've noticed more noise.
Not more power/speed.
Well that b****cks because if I was to add that weight back in I'd know straight away. I can noticeably feel the difference with the spare wheel out (I wouldnt be surprised if the whole lot tyre and tools, jack weighed about 30-35 kg with how heavy that feels)

Then factor in lets say 10kg for the sound deadening removed, a kilo for the rear wiper, lets say 15kg for the rear seats and 5 for the misc ellaneous stuff thats another 30kg if im being a bit conservative so lets say thats 60kg all in.

Thats 3 bags of sand or cement.

If you can't feel that when you are driving then you dont belong behind a wheel.

Coincidentally thats almost exactly the same as a cup weight. So if a sport does 0-60 in 7.1 and a cup in 6.7 effectively I've knocked almost half a second off my 0-60 time.

Listerine & Poledo
I took a massive s**t this morning, you better believe I can go from one end of a drive through to another in 0.3 less parsecs than before.

Jesus you must have a massive asshole to do 60kg s***s.

Im not going to argue over it. I can feel it. Period.

Especially the spare when you consider where it is and how low it is. Rear is a lot nicer and flightier without it too. Shame I need it most of the time...

Listerine & Poledo
I prefer keeping some weight over the driven wheels if honest....

...oh, oh yeah. :wink:

EDIT: OK, if being fair and honest, I can notice if a passenger is in the car (aside from them being sat next to me, of course), and that's only an average of 20kg more than you're talking about.

330i. E30 Touring.
You local to Surrey?

I want to do a test. I'll remove stuff from your car and send you off. You tell me whats gone in weight.

I guess it is opinion. Personally I don't use the car all that much and I can put up with no cd player and speakers etc. In fact im one of those odd people that could run an R26R as a daily and have no dramas with it :D