ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Better than 2500s?

182 FF, A6 Avant
So I was quite pleased with my 2500s and some new HC discs. I've also got braided lines and 5.1 in there.

But now I'm getting more confident with braking later, I want more stopping power.

The problem is that the car gets used on road daily and occasionally by my wife. I don't really want something that is shite from cold as it wouldn't be safe for her. Is there such a pad? More agressive than a 2500, but still OK from cold?

No help to you but just out of interest, are 2500s okay from cold or do they require a bit of warming up?

Lotus Elise
The more aggressive a pad gets the worse it will be from cold.

I loved my 3000s but they do eat wheels.

182 FF, A6 Avant
No help to you but just out of interest, are 2500s okay from cold or do they require a bit of warming up?

Perfectly fine from cold IMO. Better with some temp in them, but I'll let my wife drive the car no problem.

The more aggressive a pad gets the worse it will be from cold.

I loved my 3000s but they do eat wheels.

How bad are they from cold? And how bad on wheels? Mine aren't mint anyway, I'd rather performance than polish.

Lotus Elise
They are ok from cold, just ok.

Wheels will be fine with regular washing but I knackered my wheels because I simply couldn't be arsed.

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio
I am going DS3000's next, the 2500's dont seem to able to cope anymore.

Rusty Cup
If you can justify the cost i strongly recommend 4pot calipers. I used to have Ds2500's and brembo's on the 182 but the standard brake setup on my Clio 200 takes things to another level and inspires so much confidence.

182 FF, A6 Avant
I am going DS3000's next, the 2500's dont seem to able to cope anymore.

Cope how?

Maybe I'm asking too much of them, but after 10-15 mins hard on track they just don't stop as I want them to any more.

182 FF, A6 Avant
If you can justify the cost i strongly recommend 4pot calipers. I used to have Ds2500's and brembo's on the 182 but the standard brake setup on my Clio 200 takes things to another level and inspires so much confidence.

Are there any easy fits to the 182?

sam55

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182 FF
DS3000s were great on mine with HCs, mine have taken a real hammering but have performed faultlessly. They do squeak a bit when cold though

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio
Cope how?

Maybe I'm asking too much of them, but after 10-15 mins hard on track they just don't stop as I want them to any more.

Exactly that you said and mine seem to be starting to glaze over too.

clio 200 F4Rt
CL RC6 pads, epic from cold and silly stopping power.

Couldnt agree more.

Been using them on my Clio 200 for over a year (on my 3rd set) and they are superb.

And I have had no issues with dust (wash the car about once a week)

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Ds3000 you will hate on the road dave. Too noisy.

Pagid blues are similar feel and nice and quiet but slightly better than ds2500 ime.

mikes86

ClioSport Club Member
  182 track **** & MX5
I've been using CL RC5+ and i'm very impressed, by far the best pad i've used so far. Fine for daily driving (although pulling up slowly at some lights squealing really loud is slightly embarrassing), and they only started to go slightly off after 30mins of heavy abuse on track.

Are the RC6 a worth while upgrade, i heard they leave lovely chunks of molten metal on wheels?

I've been using CL RC5+ and i'm very impressed, by far the best pad i've used so far. Fine for daily driving (although pulling up slowly at some lights squealing really loud is slightly embarrassing), and they only started to go slightly off after 30mins of heavy abuse on track.

Are the RC6 a worth while upgrade, i heard they leave lovely chunks of molten metal on wheels?

They aren't paint friendly if you don't clean the car regularly. It all depends on what you want I guess.

EBC Bluestuffs I rate also, nothing on the CL stuff but a very good pad to compete with the DS2500.

Evo
RC5+ are fantastic for road/track pads, very civilsed in day to day commuting with the endurance and stopping power of a full on race pad. I've read people fading them on track? f**k me i've tried in my ITB'd 197 at Snetterton and they weren't having any of it, just performed lap after lap faultlessly.

182 FF, A6 Avant
Got to get the car up for a few bits soon so will check current pad wear then. Quite like the sound of the RC6 pads to replace the 2500s with.

If the 2500s are good then I may just sell them on here and swap them now. No rush though as I doubt I'll be tracking it again this year.

e34, 172, Radical
Just finished a set of front DS3000's they wore down very fast and got way too hot in my opinion with hard use (and pretty hard on the disks), I'm not sure what to get next would the CL be a big improvement? Track/race use only btw.

Cheers,

Duncan.

Think the RC6's are slightly better than the DS3000's, both very much a track/race pad. Mine CL RC6's lasted about 7-8 trackdays before getting to the backing plate. They weren't light trackdays either, covering a min of 250-300 miles each day and doing 30 minute plus sessions.

Currently have a set of PF97's in a Cup I own, not used them on a trackday but they are pretty powerful. Led to believe they last longer than the CL/DS, though they are pricier.

Nick

e34, 172, Radical
Think the RC6's are slightly better than the DS3000's, both very much a track/race pad. Mine CL RC6's lasted about 7-8 trackdays before getting to the backing plate. They weren't light trackdays either, covering a min of 250-300 miles each day and doing 30 minute plus sessions.

Currently have a set of PF97's in a Cup I own, not used them on a trackday but they are pretty powerful. Led to believe they last longer than the CL/DS, though they are pricier.

Nick

Interesting, PF's are the best pad I've ever used (not on a clio though). Where's the best place to get RC6's and roughly what price? Also do they need bedding in?

Thanks,

Dunc.

e34, 172, Radical
Ref the best price, someone will say a trader off here, but i found going direct to c/l was the cheapest. He gave me a decent enough price with free delivery

http://www.carbonelorrainebraking.co.uk/

Thanks, I just gave him a call, £138 delivered. Also tried carbotech XP10's and they are £216. Probs going for the RS6's although they are out of stock. The part no. for the RC6's is 4026, is this correct for my ph2 172 cup?

Thanks,

Duncan.

S4 Avant
Just to echo what everyone has said in here about 3000's. Massively dusty, massively noisy, but if you need any more braking performance from a pad, you're doing something wrong.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
I use Paul Chance - 07974 153967

He's a cracking guy to deal with, one man band from what I've gathered and was cheaper every single time than the above.

Yep and he was a bit miffed a trader was initially cheaper than him lol

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Just to echo what everyone has said in here about 3000's. Massively dusty, massively noisy, but if you need any more braking performance from a pad, you're doing something wrong.

Agreed unless you have some series regulation stopping you then you would be better off going to 4 pots and a bigger disk if 3000 are not upto the job.

e34, 172, Radical
I use Paul Chance - 07974 153967

He's a cracking guy to deal with, one man band from what I've gathered and was cheaper every single time than the above.

Paul Chance is the link above, click 'contact' on the site ;)

Thanks for all the help on this, I want to avoid upgrading the calipers etc if possible, it's a second track/race car so want to keep the funds and effort going into the other.

Thanks again for all the good advice, I'm going to give the RS6's a go.

Also going to have a play with the brake bias adjustment to increase the rear, this may help things :)

Cheers,

Dunc.

Last edited: