ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

BEWARE, SILVER CLIO EXTREME 4 IN GLASGOW AREA, NY54TOJ, DODGY MOTOR

2005 Clio Dynamique
I foolishly purchased this car in September 2012 for 1,195 from a garage in Glasgow. The Clio had been clocked from 140,023 miles down to 68, 300! Contacted the previous owner who said she traded it in at Arnold Clark Dundee at 139,999 miles. The car was sent to SMA Auctions in Edinburgh and was purchased by the guy (who shall remain unnamed) who then clocked it, put on a duff MOT despite the fact it had just had one in July and sold it to me. I got my money back thankfully but have since seen it around the Glasgow area in a garage and being driven around. I would like to warn anyone of this car and the potential problems it could have as I believe it is a death trap. The drivers seat was shaking, there were bangs and squeeks- the car was generally f****d. I'm only 18, it was my first car, spur of the moment, I wanted THAT one and that was it, took it like a shot. Putting it down to experience. Just a post to potentially warn anyone out there. Thanks guys.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
LOL at blaming someone else for you being absolutely entered by a Nigerian.

Did you not think to ask for previous MOT's or at least check with VOSA? Sorry but you deserve it ;)

2005 Clio Dynamique
LOL at blaming someone else for you being absolutely entered by a Nigerian.

Did you not think to ask for previous MOT's or at least check with VOSA? Sorry but you deserve it ;)

I totally put my hands up and say it was entirely my fault because I didn't do enough research on the history before I bought it. I did an HPI check on it but because there was only 1 owner from new there was no mileage registered with DVLA and I tried contacting the Renault Dealership from where it originated and there was only one record of it being in, don't remember what for, in 2006 with 32, 800 miles on it. They told me it had not been in any other dealership. I did ask for other MOTs but he said they didn't come with the car, not unusual because we have got rid of many cars without MOT's. Putting it down to experience. Went and got an 05 plate dynamique and the guy I bought it from gave me the doc ref number to check MOTS on DVLA at the 39,000 were genuine.

SQ5
Just googles car sale Edinburgh road, they also go under anther name though which is a bit dodgy I'd say.

2005 Clio Dynamique
Just googles car sale Edinburgh road, they also go under anther name though which is a bit dodgy I'd say.

Hmm maybe that's what is confusing as I can't be 100 percent if that is the garage. Funny thing is, I was the second to buy the car in the same week as it had already been returned before I went to the garage

Renault Clio RS182
Maybe the original clocks had broken and he/she/they put a fresh MOT on for the buyers peace of mind....actually forget that thought, sounds like they just wanted to rip somebody off!

2005 Clio Dynamique
Maybe the original clocks had broken and he/she/they put a fresh MOT on for the buyers peace of mind....actually forget that thought, sounds like they just wanted to rip somebody off!
EXACTLY!!! You honestly would never have known the mileage the car was absolute mint from the outside! it was inside where it gave it away but i bought in such an impulse moment, never gave it a second thought

Renault Clio RS182
Atleast you managed to get your money back and can move on . It could have been far worse....10k cash for a ringer from a private seller!

2005 Clio Dynamique
Atleast you managed to get your money back and can move on . It could have been far worse....10k cash for a ringer from a private seller!

Exactly, 1200 quid isn't exactly much for a car. The scenario you described was be much worse, this is an old second hand car we're talking about here. I was gutted about it though, the spec of the extreme is poverty and doesn't have anything on the spec of my dynamique but it was the general look of the extreme 4 that I loved, would chose it any day over a dynamique

2005 Clio Dynamique
Report it to old bill, lol.

na, i wasn't going down the road of that, I just wanted my money back. I threatened him with the police, trading standards etc to make him give me my money back. I would never have done it. Maybe it'll be a lesson learned from him to show that he won't get away with it since all MOTs are online now. We live to learn eh

172 Cup
I disagree - you're fortunate that you got your money back, but you should still notify the police and/or trading standards of your experience! The fact is the guy is a crook and will continue to be a crook until he's caught.

2005 Clio Dynamique
I generally don't think he realised that you could pull up any old MOTs online and due to the fact the car was mint I think he thought he could get away with it. After November 2012 when you get an MOT 3 previous mileages are put on it to deter mileage clocking. I went against everyone's advice to get the car as my mate was suspicious due to the driver seat having a hole in it and the silver part of the gearstick being very worn but i wouldn't listen, got what i deserved

I generally don't think he realised that you could pull up any old MOTs online and due to the fact the car was mint I think he thought he could get away with it.

"Oh, that's OK then... No need to tell the police. As long as he didn't know that's fine."

:quiet:

e36 323i
always pays to be extra careful when buying cars theres too many dishonest people out there. if somthing looks too good to be true then chances are it is

2005 Clio Dynamique
always pays to be extra careful when buying cars theres too many dishonest people out there. if somthing looks too good to be true then chances are it is

Exactly, you're totally right! A 54 (2005 plate) Renault Clio for 1200 is too cheap. For an average condition one at a decent price, a dynamique or extreme 4 would set you back about 2 grand. I don't know what I was playing, so embarassed by myself

Exactly, you're totally right! A 54 (2005 plate) Renault Clio for 1200 is too cheap. For an average condition one at a decent price, a dynamique or extreme 4 would set you back about 2 grand. I don't know what I was playing, so embarassed by myself

Learn from experience though mate....least you got your money back. Research similar models to see what they are selling for to make sure the one you want to buy is at the "right" price.
I know the garage your on about, I'm always over the East End of the City, most of their cars seems very cheap. They do sell some CAT C/Ds and stolen recovered i think.

2005 Clio Dynamique
Learn from experience though mate....least you got your money back. Research similar models to see what they are selling for to make sure the one you want to buy is at the "right" price.
I know the garage your on about, I'm always over the East End of the City, most of their cars seems very cheap. They do sell some CAT C/Ds and stolen recovered i think.

Yeah I've noticed how ridiculously cheap all of their cars are. The clio's seem to be his favourite thing as any time I go past which is probably every day there are always seems too be loads of clios there. Suppose it's a car all us young ones look for. I'm glad at least this thread has got some attention, just wanted to make people aware of the car as I have seen it shooting up and down the M8 a lot recently

LY Clio V6
What's the point in this thread exactly? If you did the honorable thing and reported it to trading standards they'd have a field day . . . what’s to say this is the only car on the forecourt like it . . . .

Speaking from my own perspective I'd rather see them not think twice about it again, instead of a small amount of people on a forum knowing about the individual car

e60 M5 -172- dciheid
least you got money back, but given after auction fees and s**t it was probably £450 to the trader to then make '£750' or so seems a bit extreme, but there we go.

Name and shame and get them fucked.

2005 Clio Dynamique
least you got money back, but given after auction fees and s**t it was probably £450 to the trader to then make '£750' or so seems a bit extreme, but there we go.

Name and shame and get them f**ked.

Yeah you're right! The previous keeper told me Arnold Clark Dundee gave her £495 or something for it because of the mileage. So basically he made a huge profit. And the night I got it I drove it down to Ayr and you could tell the thing was totally fucked beyond belief!

2005 Clio Dynamique
Resurrecting this post from a good year back but just saw this car on M8 this morning, anyone on here know it's whereabouts, feel sorry for the poor sod that's driving it