ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

biased mini v 182 debate!!!

http://www.mini2.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-55710

i stumbled accross the following mini forum comparing the mini cooper S against the 182!!

us clio owners are biased to a degree, but these guys are downright mental....

quote "english or fench"!!!! since when has BMW been english!!

quote " my cooper S is better than a V6!!!""

quote "EVO mag tested both and the mini cooper S was better!" WRONG the 182 has won every group test its been in so far!!!

WHAT A BUNCH OF LOSERS!!!

Ang

Pink/Blue 182

and to think i owned a mini years ago.....a proper one though, not the things u see nowadays....:)

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

Let them have their review, what matters is when one meets the other on the road, then the look of shock on the mini drivers face :)

172, Tiguan

They think Renaults are bad.

Two relatives had Coopers

Two relatives got so fed up of the problems and faults

Two relatives sold Coopers

The End.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

Quote: Originally posted by Tomclio182 on 15 April 2004
Tomclio spams mini forum. The End.

Its a tomclio adventure.

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member

Can someone go on there and state that a valver is faster than a MCS for me!

The 182 has now taken the reign at the top of the hot hatch section in "the knowledge" section of EVO. For me this is the best car mag around so I do value their opinions more than Autocar, Auto Express or Car.

For me that says it all. One other point. How many MCSs do you see around 5 or 6 a day.

How many 182s I have seen? one other on the road and one in a showroom in 6 weeks.

Oh and it is quicker and has better equipment levels for the money.

In the end it is all personal choice, if you come on here you will get biased views for Clios. On Mini2 you will get biased views for Minis. If you are bothered about reliability and built quality then you may as well get a Mini but if you want a faster better equipped car for a lot less money get a Clio.

And it annoys me when they bring on the Works Mini and say oh look, its faster than a Clio Sport Yep, it bl00dy is but isnt it like 19 grand to buy? Well my 172 cost 11k so tell you what Mini owners, give me 8k to spend on performance mods and then well see whos fastest.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

LOL!

i have -311 reputation points on that site.

and im "infamous"

That reputation thing is wicked!

Well i am from MINI2 which i have lots of friends on..i have had a cooper and just sold my cooper s and now have a 182 on order .. many people on sites are totally for their cars and see no point in any other make .. i on the other hand think the Clio is excellent .. I had a cooper which i sold cause of millege and bought the cooper s for extra wow factor .. i paid 17,750 for that car..... the down side to mini is the quality issues ..but the good times were excellent, i.e Nurburg Ring, Mallory park race track going flat out on a track is excellent. rattling, i loved my mini days but i decided it was time to move on and get something else .. :) My firends from MINI2 have been good friends and they are now moving on and getting other cars i still see them and even go to meets just to see them .. but they like me for me and not my cars ...

P.S they are discussing the Cooper S to a RX-8 now to be honest i think you cannot compare those to each other ;)

Lisa

Look their is a few owners 182 and Cooper s that are totally focused on their cars and nothing else ... to get to the point who cares who is more money and whos is faster you bought you car cause you liked it .. i had a cooper S which cost me loads but i bought the car cause i liked the style not performance ... i am now going for the clio because value for money ..

I also like the Type R Honda .. which i nearly bought before the clio .. just turns out the bf is getting one now ... ooohhh i can play with both cars now ..:D

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

Muhahaha, I like my post on the mini forums better..

They really are kidding themselfs if the think the MCS is a better car than the 172 let alone the 182.

why do you really care????? its your opinion the MCS is better have you drove both ??? well i have i owned a cooper s and had a 172 before and now have the 182 on order

Who really cares about childish behaviour towards each other anyway ... more to life than bitching

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

Why do I care, I didnt to start with (see my first post) but its nice to try and bring people who are in their own little world a bit of a reality check.

Not just in my opinion, its every motoring magazines (bar one) that has done a review of the cars opinions.

So if we are not allowed to express our opinions whats the point of the forums then ?

Regarding how common they are. If you are comparing a MCS to a 182 then MCS are very very common in Manchester only seen one other 182 in six weeks. In the same time spell I must have seen 40 - 50 MCS and I am not inflating the figure.

Remapped derv Golf

Half of them only bought a mini because they couldnt afford a 3 series!

My mate VTS is quicker than a Cooper-S so Im sure a valver is!!

actually i think your wrong anyone who has bought a MCS or JCW can afford a 3 series i have on sale now a 318t se series compact on sale and i traded my MCS for that ... the 3 series was 18.750 and i think you will find a lot of MCS owners have paid that ...and i know they are common thats why i sold it ... i miss the drive of the mini BUT because of them now being so common i will not buy another one thats why i went for the clio and i think the clio is good value for money...

P.S anyone want to buy a Sub Woofer ... catch is you can have it for 50 (only month old) but you have to remove it from my 3 series (car getting traded in)

I paid over 150 for it and its really compact and small but really good!!!!

:p

172, Tiguan

Yes but this is the point.

I just specced a MCS up with what i considered reasonable options and it came to £22.5k!!

This means we are talking 9 grand more than you can get a 182 for.

All for a German imitation of a British car. They are far to common, to the point where I no longer think its cool to own one, surely the key selling point for the mini.

I agree its a great car to drive, the residuals are excellent etc etc.

But how much! for a small BMW??

I paid 18,750 for a BMW 318T SE compact (03) all specced up with everything, but just isnt the car for me, it does not drive like the mini and is not fun... I know about the price for extras on the mini .. everything you add is added on thats one of the reasons i went for the 182 its all standard ... its a great car and i am glad i have bought one ....

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member

Theyre pissin me off now on that forum!

Thayre sayin MCSs are faster than 182s and that clio 16vs handle crap!:mad:

OMG get over it DONT go there then!!!

Despite weighing 111kg more than the Cup, the 1090kg 182¹s extra traction helps it scorch to 60mph in 6.3sec, 0.2sec quicker, and at 17.0sec to 100mph, it trails the Cup by a mere 0.1sec. More importantly, that means it blitzes the Mini Cooper S (7.6/21.9sec) and even shades the £18k Cooper S Works (6.8/17.2sec). It¹s the same story from 30-70mph, which the Clio dispatches in just 5.8sec 1.4sec quicker than the Cooper S. These figures are on a par with the now defunct Ford Focus RS, and the only front-drive hatches that will out-pace the little Clio are the 250bhp, £22,750, Alfa Romeo 147 GTA and the 182¹s big brother, the 222bhp, £19,500 Mégane RS, which goes on sale in May. The biggest joy is how the power is delivered, with all the classic fizz-bang of hot hatches of old. Eighty per cent of the cars torque is available from 2000rpm; on the move it¹s hugely flexible, pulling from 50-70mph in fourth gear in 5.6sec nearly 2.0sec quicker than the Cooper S and you rarely need to change from fifth on the motorway. Fine go is accompanied by equally fine stoppers, which haul the Clio from 70-0mph in 48.6m and offer good feel and exceptional resistance to fade. Renault has increased castor angle (up to the same three degrees as in the

Cup) which gives better steering feel, and the combination of stiffer front suspension mountings and those new tyres endow the 182 with breathtakingly sharp turn-in. The hydraulic power steering is well-weighted and provides substantially more feel than the electric systems that are becoming the supermini norm. In the dry, front-end grip is vast and understeer all but non-existent the Clio¹s playful chassis allowing you to adjust its attitude almost entirely on the throttle. In the wet, the previously unobtrusive ESP becomes rather more noticeable as it fights to keep the front wheels from spinning away the power.

Now i am a former MCS owner and i know whats quicker just dont go there if they are pi$$ing you off :cry:

i actually find it hilarious that someone posts up a link like this, when day in day out there is someone on here slating eery model under the sun

grow up, get over it

who cares!!!!!!!!

I almost bought a MCS before i saw the 182. What i didnt like about the MCS was all the Bob the Builder plastics. The whole interior is filled with hard hollow plastic, even the door handles are hollow plastic. Yes the build quality of the car itself is good (just close the door and listen to the sound), but its all the hard plastikky bits on the inside i didnt like.

Since when did Bob the Builder go from Masonry to Flimpsy Plastic? Well, since BMW hired him! :-]

MCS is still a great car though, but (apart from the flimpsy plastics) the fact that everything on the MCS is an option just drove me nuts, reading light an option, WTF?

182 in 2 weeks!

How come, when someone posts something about a [Insert Clio model here] on another forum, a lot of people from here go and argue with them..

BUT, when people come on here to defend their own cars, people get well upset about people with "none Clio owners" posting and defending!

Heh.. Odd. Bad as each other. :confused:

TDI tyre shreader

the new ones arnt a mini they suck, my mum was thinking about getting one and they really are horrible cars look like a early learning centre car on the inside hence why she stuck to her beetle. As for them saying u cant tell a RS apart from other models, and is a cooper s any diff i can only tell by looking at that hole in the bonnet

Quote: Originally posted by Daz on 18 April 2004

How come, when someone posts something about a [Insert Clio model here] on another forum, a lot of people from here go and argue with them..

BUT, when people come on here to defend their own cars, people get well upset about people with "none Clio owners" posting and defending!

Heh.. Odd. Bad as each other. :confused:

I USED to be a MCS owner and am no longer for my own reasons ... i had great times in my MCS and what anyone says i dont care .. yes the inside is plastic looking it rattles it creaks .. and other bits thats why i sold it .. BUT the ride of it is great ... I also drove a 172 before the Cooper S and because of the MCS not being that popular at the time i went for the MCS, I dont care about what people think of the MINI cause i dont own one anymore its just the attitude of some people ... now i will leave this thread as its pointless