ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Big Bang and my oil was gone! :-(

Clio 182 cup
Hi Folks.

Sad times.
Clio 182 2005 43K had a premature timing belt failure repaired 5 months and 3k ago.
I only paid £600 of a £3200 bill thanks to Renault.
Good times.

But............. last night had a loud bang at high revs and lots of smoke as the car dumped its oil all over the road.
last repair was "only" 16 valves, cams and cam followers.

Does anyone know of damage to conrods etc. caused by timingbelt failure?

With the Dealer again and called renault customer service.
Owned car from new and full Renault service history.

Still waiting on feedback from the dealer.

Clio 182 cup
If someone who knows their stuff out there can help?

Can a failed timing belt cause more damage than just valves and cams?

Still waiting on Renault getting back to me.

Saab 93 Aero Wagon
Yeah it can damage the pistons.

So whats happened exactly? Thrown a rod and holed the block?

Clio 182 cup
Was Dark last night, so just got a tow, and dumped it at the Dealer that "fixed" the timing belt failure. Still waiting to hear from Dealer and Renault.

BMW i had just went past must have been p!$$in himself. I looked like a red arrow display. lol

Clio 182 cup
AWwwwwww!

Conrod has left the engine.

Renault offering a new engine for around £1800.....

they say total cost is £3600

Do i bite their hand off ? Or do i stick to my guns that the failed timing belt 3k miles ago did the damage.?
At least the £600 i paid for the original repair should come off the bill?

Saab 93 Aero Wagon
You'll need to prove the cambelt failure caused the rod to up sticks and leave, which is unlikely.

ITB'd MK1
It's common on alfas for a broken cambelt to cause a flat spotted big end bearing....however i've never heard of, nor seen evidence of this from a renault F-block engine. I'd doubt it's related to be honest

Petrol Blue Clio182FF
This scares me, i've just got my car back from a premature timing belt failure which bent all 16 valves and wrecked half the valve guides!! I hope it lasts longer than yours!!

Clio 182 cup
Thanks for the advice guys, waiting to barter a price.
Guess I will never know if the cam belt failure damaged the bottom end.
I might just be realy lucky..lol. wonder what the probability of a cam belt failing and chucking a rod withing 3k miles.? esecialy on a car that is standard and mostly ticking over at 3.5k revs on the motorway.

Clio 182 cup
£1765...... Renault customer service going to Dealer who sold and maintained the car to see if they can spare a few ££ towards it.

currenty at 50% of cost

Clio 182 cup
Dealer not puttin a penny towards it.
They sold and maintained the car.
Anyone know a bit about sale of goods act?

ITB'd MK1
talk to CAB and trading standards for advice. Think i already said that's's not the dealers fault IMO though, sorry :(

should be able to get another engine all in and fitted for considerably less than Renault want to charge you though

STEVE79 has a low milage cup engine if u r after a cheap engine !! engines dont hang around long and are way over priced everywhere else , so contact steve if u r after a engine , under stutts auto's in the trader section , he wanted around the £400 ish mark maybe a bit more for it last time i spoke to him , plus carrage

Clio 182 arctic
could you not argue for instance, when the belt went and bent the valves, the pistons were now hitting metal instead of air/fuel therefore putting unnecessary strain on the rods causing one of them 2 fail.

Clio 182 arctic
Thanks for the advice guys, waiting to barter a price.
Guess I will never know if the cam belt failure damaged the bottom end.
I might just be realy lucky..lol. wonder what the probability of a cam belt failing and chucking a rod withing 3k miles.? esecialy on a car that is standard and mostly ticking over at 3.5k revs on the motorway.

this is what i was thinking, bottom end normally just doesnt go, well not usually at that mileage, its a bit of a s**t coincidence if ur just unlucky like that. friday afternoon engine maybe.

alien green rs133
only time i have seen a f-block renault engine chuck a rod out of bed is when its been over revved.

simples.

Clio 182 cup
Might have rev'd a little high just before it went bang,
flat out in 3rd changing up after a large roundabout that was taken pretty fast.

Thanks for all the input guys.
I paid the £1750, thats 50% of the retail price.
Renault paid about £1200.
One years parts and labour warranty from Ren.
New belts, tensioner and clutch.
Sh!t myself today when i checked the oil thought it had F*%k all in it then remembered it was all nice and clean now.
Will give it a treat every 4k now and try to keep it that way.

Do i need to run it in? Dealer said it's not required.
will go easy for now.

Think i'll keep it for a while well 11 months and 3 weeks anyways.

Clio 182 cup
All water under the bridge..new engine fitted. Will keep the little 182 for a long time, can't part with it..... But it is slowly turning into "triggers brush"..........

Had to go back to the dealer 3 times after the engine change, kept the faults between myself and them. Waiting for a part for my air-con, looks like they burst the system when fitting the engine.

Coupe/Defender V8
Where did you source the engine from if you don't mind me asking? Or did Renault

Sounds about right last time I spoke to Renault Croydon they quoted me 3,600.

albi 197
Sounds like what happened to mine after I ran it with no oil lol, was accelerating hard down a dual carriage way hit about 6000 revs and then boom lol.

Not a mistake I'm willing to make again.