ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Big Brakes on 172

Clio 172 turbo
hi guys , has anyone attempted to put megane brembo front brakes on a 172 ?? im debating wether to give it ago as i can get a mounting bracket machine made to how i want , plus it be a big saving as willwood and hi-spec want £700 plus

any advice is help

thanks

Sunflower Yellow Ph1 172
have you tried brembo high carbon discs and ds2000 pads 1st? just these give really good stopping power, couldnt see anyone needing much more unless you want 4 pots for track use or have a big power clio, anything more for a standard car on the road is prob overkill

Clio 172 turbo
no i havent yet , but next year plan on doing alot of track days and should be very powerfull in april

SQ5
You'll be fine with Brembo HC discs, Ferodo DS2500's and some braided lines for track use! 4 Pots won't be much diffferent TBH except the price tag

Golf GTD Mk7
depends how much track time he is going to do, but as said by danny, that set up is fine on track days. Didn't get any fade all day on mine :)

Clio cup cars coped on standard calipers. i think most can!

They weren't running road tyres, had cooling ducts and there discs/pads would've been changed after every race.

However as has been said the pedal feel is excellent and if there crap why did you want to see pics of my 2118's and 4 pots?

;)

_WILL_

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup
Am i right in thinking that 4 pots will increase braking force, which the standard brakes have enough of already. Over heating is more of a problem, so investing in improved cooling would stop this, so negating the need for 4 pots as the extra braking force will be unnecessary?

I might be very wrong tho!!!!

172 Cup
They weren't running road tyres, had cooling ducts and there discs/pads would've been changed after every race.

However as has been said the pedal feel is excellent and if there crap why did you want to see pics of my 2118's and 4 pots?

;)

I never said they were crap? I was/am considering as they do look good but kind of thing why am i going back on a decision on not wasting money on un-needed parts and espically on willwoods.

Golf GTD Mk7
Exactly what i was going to say!

Which is why i'm getting 8 pots on the Z4! lol I drive 7miles to work in traffic! I NEED big brakes! ;)

lol too much money on your hands. Chuck it my way ;)

I'd go for AP's if I was going to splash out on 4 pots, but that's a whole different ball park of money :(

I never said they were crap? I was/am considering as they do look good but kind of thing why am i going back on a decision on not wasting money on un-needed parts and espically on willwoods.

Photo0436.jpg

IMHO there cheaper to run as PFC 97 pads for Wilwoods are dirt money and the discs are good value too.

:)

Last edited:

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
Wilwoods are fine. The bracket GDi designed which misses about 6mm of the disk on the other hand...Not so!

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
Method in your madness son!

I thought the wilwoods were actually very good. Better than the COMPBRAKES i had on mine...But that was mainly down to me having the wrong bloody pad compound!

Method in your madness son!

I thought the wilwoods were actually very good. Better than the COMPBRAKES i had on mine...But that was mainly down to me having the wrong bloody pad compound!

I started off with EBC Red Stuff's but they were shocking and now I roll with PFC 97's which are awesome.

:)

E39 M5 & Corsa track
I tried Brembo HC discs, ds2500 pads on mine wit hstandard calipers, and yes they were good not doubting that but i just wanted a bit more, hence the Willwood kit we developed, so much more stopping power available with them i was doubtful if it would be worth it having seen what people say on here, worth every penny IMO, and as matt says its cheaper on pads too... :)

172 Cup
I have Pagid RS4'2s and have done last 2000 mileso n the road, plenty miles around the ring and few miles on track in this country and they are still in great condition. I have no concerns they will last most this summer with plenty of track use.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
I tried Brembo HC discs, ds2500 pads on mine wit hstandard calipers, and yes they were good not doubting that but i just wanted a bit more, hence the Willwood kit we developed, so much more stopping power available with them i was doubtful if it would be worth it having seen what people say on here, worth every penny IMO, and as matt says its cheaper on pads too... :)
I disagree, I was on track with one of your customers. No difference in stopping power.

End of the day, it's a fraction over a ton! The standard set-up set shorter stopping distances than a F360 and a 996 when Autocar did the ph1 road test.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Oh, and as far as pads lasting. Me and Fred changed my pads/discs dec 08. I just had to change the pads 1 week ago. 18k miles, and 7 track days.

E39 M5 & Corsa track
I disagree, I was on track with one of your customers. No difference in stopping power.

End of the day, it's a fraction over a ton! The standard set-up set shorter stopping distances than a F360 and a 996 when Autocar did the ph1 road test.

did you drive both cars?