ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Big End Bearings & Rings

Renault Sport 172CUP
Looking to source a big end bearing kit and a set of piston rings for all four cylinders for a Clio Cup 172 F4R. Have searched Google and it does't seem like anyone stocks them? Searched the forum and can only see some chap saying they were $80/per cylinder but with no reference to where he got them from?

Any help would be appreciated guys,

Many thanks,

Matt

Renault Sport 172CUP
Have found the big end bearings from Engine Dynamics - £28.99 funnily enough they don't stock the rings though :/

Renault Sport 172CUP
Just spoke to Renault and they want £35.61 + vat per cylinder i expected to fall over by that seems pretty reasonable. I'm guessing there's vast difference in quality between pattern parts and genuine renault parts?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Was the rings specifically I was on about mate when I said buy renault.

Pretty pricey at about 180 quid a set, when you think thats nearly half what a set of forged pistons cost and those come with rings, lol

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
there not cheap pattern parts either, they were more expensive :) Engine Dynamics wanted £28.99 and Renault's were £24.99 on the big ends!!! Thanks Chip

renault price will be per journal pair, not for an enigne set

Rings are about £110 a set

HBT 172 Cup
Google King components, they are in manchester but they next day delivered them to me for £7. I got this company from f0xy, he used them and so have his mates.

i used them on my F4 rebuild, they supply King bearings, they gaveme F9Q bearings for some reason half the shells were bimetallic ally, half were trimetallic copper, strange but they work perfeclty (designed for diesel engien higher loads?)

and Hastings Piston rings (biggest supplier in the USA aparently), so they can't be bad, ive had no issues whatsoever and the engine is quick, doesnt knock, and doesnt burn oil.

rings were £65+VAT, bearings were about £25 a set.

Last edited:
  Renault Sport 172CUP
Thanks mate, will look into King Components and Hasting Piston Rings now, (how long did the rings take to arrive, i'm guessing they're shipped from the states?)

HBT 172 Cup
Thanks mate, will look into King Components and Hasting Piston Rings now, (how long did the rings take to arrive, i'm guessing they're shipped from the states?)

No, all the parts in stock, if you phone them up and make your order by about 4pm they overnight the parts to you for the next day, its a very fast serivce :)

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Ive seen some right rubbish from king. Personally wouldn't touch them for anything other than repairs on a banger.

HBT 172 Cup
Ive seen some right rubbish from king. Personally wouldn't touch them for anything other than repairs on a banger.

Bit of a sweeping statement that.

Rubbish as in what King Components supply, or you dont like King Bearings. King Bearings and Hastings rings both have a good reputation on the internet.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
King bearings I was referring to mate. Poor finish, poor sizing etc.

Maybe they are better now though as its ten years at least since I went near a set.

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
FYI I use mahle, federal mogul, AE or ACL parts for engine internals. All are oe suppliers and all are cheaper than Renault but without quality suffering

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
no, but i've used BGA and FAI valves without issue

Bga sell some real rubbish, some of their gaskets you would be better off using the piece of cardboard it comes packed in, stem seals too a lot of the time are poor too. They sell some good items as well though, bit of a lottery.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
FYI I use mahle, federal mogul, AE or ACL parts for engine internals. All are oe suppliers and all are cheaper than Renault but without quality suffering

Likewise I use a lot of mahle or goetze parts direct, federal mogul and AE have differing quality lines though so you need to be careful which bits you trust or not.

Such a minefield for the man on the street sadly.

Renault are dear but at least the quality is good.